Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard

Post subject: Quals Change Proposal
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:23 pm 

Here is the proposal that Solithan, Tigger, Elder and I have been working on. Please give any constructive feedback or ask any questions here to keep things organized.

Quals Change Proposal:

The quals system we currently use does not require the same time, effort, and energy from players attempting to qualify. It also does not adequately assess the three areas we expect a candidate to be proficient in: Organizing/running things, reeving fighting , and judging A&S events.

This proposal looks to change quals to address those areas, and make the time requirements equal for all candidates.
Replace section VIII, subsection A. Crown Qualification Tournament (AKA Crown Quals) with:

A. Crown Qualifications (Hydra):

.....1. Only Residents of The Emerald Hills may earn a Hydra.

.....2. All Hydra requirements must be completed during the same reign (i.e. If a player started
.........the process at June Coronation or after, they must complete all requirements before or
.........during
December Coronation).

.....3. A player must complete the following to earn a Hydra

..........i. Reeve a Kingdom level fighting tournament. (If the candidate chooses, or the event
.............organizer has already selected their reeves, they may shadow one of the reeves. They
.............would be required to stand with a reeve, assist as needed, and otherwise participate for
.............the same time as the reeve, but they would not make calls on any of the fighters.)

..........ii. Judge a Kingdom level A&S tournament. (If the candidate chooses, or the event
.............organizer has already selected their judges, they may shadow the judges. They would be
.............required to sit with the judges, participate in the judging process for the same time as the
.............judges, and discuss entries with and provide scores for entered items. These scores will
.............not count towards the entrants final scores.)

..........iii. Autocrat or sub-crat (Feast, gate, etc.) a Kingdom level event. (If the candidate
.............chooses, or the Autocrat has already selected the event team, they may co-crat the event
.............or a sub-area of the event as determined by the autocrat. They must work directly with
.............their co-crat and fulfill all the duties expected of their position.

.....4. All qualifications listed in section 3 must be signed off on by one of the other players of the
.........same position (i.e. another reeve, judge, or co-crat).

..........i. In the case of a dispute, the person running the tournament/event (Champion, Regent,
Event-Autocrat, etc.) will determine if the candidate fulfilled their obligations.

..........ii. If there is still a dispute, the final decision will rest with the Kingdom Monarch.

.....5. Any qualification listed in section 3 that cannot be completed at the Kingdom level, may
........instead be done at three park level events. (i.e. Help reeve three park level fighting
........tournaments, etc.) Only one of these may be counted from the player’s home park.

.....6. It is the responsibility of the officers / players in charge of an event (tournament,
........battlegame, A&S, etc.) to make sure that those seeking to use that event as part of their
........qualifications are given the opportunity to do so if space is available. If a scheduled event is
........cancelled, an alternative offer needs to be made (i.e. If a tournament at Coronation is
........cancelled, then the person who was going to reeve as part of qualifying should be offered a
........chance to reeve another tournament or battlegame at that event if possible.)

.....7. Once these qualifications are complete, a Hydra is valid for the next 2 consecutive election
........cycles. (i.e. If a player earns a Hydra by the end of the Dec – June reign, they will be able
........to run for office during the December elections of that year, or the June elections of the
........following year without the need to re-earn a Hydra.)

..........i. If the player finishes the qualifications prior to the start of the current election cycle,
.............they may also run for office during that election cycle. (i.e. During the Dec – June
.............reign, if a player finishes the qualifications for a Hydra at least 4 weeks prior to voting,
.............they may run for office for the June elections, and are still able to run in the next 2
.............election cycles)

.....8. Park level Hydras are earned by completing the same requirements at your home park,
.........or a park of the same level or higher. (i.e. A person wanting to run for office at a barony,
.........could complete the requirements at the barony level or higher.)

B. Crown Qualifications (Running for Office):

.....1. Only Dues Paid Members may run for office.

.....2. If a player wishes to run for office they must

..........i. Declare for office at least 4 weeks prior to voting.

..........ii. Have earned a Hydra that is still current.

..........iii. Pass a current Reeves and Corpora test with a score of at least 70%.

.............1. Tests must be available at least 4 weeks prior to voting.

.............2. Tests must be passed at least 2 weeks prior to voting.

.................iv. Answer the current Statecraft Questions.

.................... 1. Statecraft questions will be selected by the highest officer not running for
.......................re-election from those submitted by the populace.

........................a. Questions should be relevant to the offices.

........................b. Different offices may have different questions.

........................c. Each candidate for a give office will answer the same questions.

....................2. No more than 3 questions may be selected.

....................3. Questions must be posted 4 weeks prior to voting

....................4. Candidates must submit answers at least 2 weeks prior to voting.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:44 pm 

I like it, it is set up the way a good management system is set up, you have to know how to do the job so you know how to select the people to fill the roles

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:14 am 

Just to specify: Hydras are for those who Qual at a kingdom level...

I'd change the park deadline to Qual and declare to 2 weeks instead of 4, kingdom can stay 4 weeks.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:38 am 

I really like this idea... I really do. But... how does this now affect leveling up? Especially those going for A&S belts. The populace can only get up to level 7s at a given park... forcing them now to enter Dragonmaster and only Dragonmaster if we do away with Kingdom Quals. I myself have seen kings only give out awards to 1st and 2nd place Dragonmaster winners when others deserved awards for 4+ scores. Maybe keep Kingdom Quals for those who need their 8th, 9th and 10th awards... but do the other for those intending to run for King.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:13 pm 

Good question. There would still be a Kingdom level A&S tournament near the end of each reign, it just wouldn't be "Quals". This is important to host because now it not only allows those pursuing the A&S path a chance to show off their work, but it give those seeking to pursue an office a chance to meet the requirements for a Hydra. So there will likely be less entries (since there won't be people putting in items "just to qualify"), but those who do enter will likely be more focused on A&S. This gives the judges more time to ask questions of and give feedback to each entrant.

Puppet Master of the EH

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:54 pm 

You mentioned about a third part, autocrating or coautocrating an event. Could this also be able to be done at 3 kingdom parks? Say one advances a multi-park A&S tourney, Would that count as one or two?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:56 pm 

Also, what is considered a good example of a Statecraft question?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:06 pm 

So you saying if someone is running for a park level position, the same requirements to qualify are the same as running for kingdom correct? An if so, that means he/she has to do 1 of each of the categories listed, as well as reeves/corpora tested and state crafted questioned, correct? Of course these all being at the same park level or higher. The auto crating or sub crat, how would that work or what would be crating for park level? I hope this is a valid question.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:35 pm 

For the park level autocratting would be the same as running the A&S or fighting tournament or running some other park level event as determined by the park monarchy.

As for statescraft, that is determined by the submissions and the Monarch selecting from them, but I would think / hope to see questions relevant to the office such as:

Champions, there are multiple formats for tournaments, best 2 out of 3, double elimination, Warlord Sports style. Which one do you prefer to run and why? What are the limitations of that style?

or

Monarchs, recently bans have been a big topic. What is your stance on banning players versus asking them to do community service? What offenses would be eligible for CS and what actions shouldresult in immediate bans (if any)?

Or

Regents, it has been pointed out that we should train judges so that scores are not so different from one competition to the next. How would you go about doing this?

But questions can be far ranging and should be driven by the populace.

Puppet Master of the EH

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:41 pm 

laramis wrote:
I really like this idea... I really do. But... how does this now affect leveling up? Especially those going for A&S belts. The populace can only get up to level 7s at a given park... forcing them now to enter Dragonmaster and only Dragonmaster if we do away with Kingdom Quals. I myself have seen kings only give out awards to 1st and 2nd place Dragonmaster winners when others deserved awards for 4+ scores. Maybe keep Kingdom Quals for those who need their 8th, 9th and 10th awards... but do the other for those intending to run for King.

This is a good question and it gets asked a lot. As your Kingdom Regent I wouldn't push anything that reduces the amount of A&S opportunities. This change actually allows and requires the opposite.
First and foremost it free's up a mandated A&S competition (currently called quals) that isn't exactly taken seriously.

For example, if you enter a really nice item in quals and would be eligible for lets say an 8th, and the item scores really well, say a 4.5 you might think 'woot I'm gana get my 8th.' But then someone comes along and says "well...its a 4.5 at Quals. yeah things at quals are judged super easy so that doesn't count. You should have entered dragonmaster if you wanted an award."

Sadly, the mindset of quals not being a "worthy" kingdom level event is fairly pervasive and it comes down to the scoring system used. It is in fact easier to get a good score at quals than at Dragonmaster because we lower the bar so our officers can actually qualify. Because of this higher level awards are often not given out at this kingdom level event.

This proposal allows me to do away with that mindset and turn this A&S competition into a real competition worthy of awards at the kingdom level. A second Dragonmaster if you want to think of it that way.

You'll notice this proposal requires things to happen at the park level so park officers can get qualified for office. Want to be a qualified park level regent? Just run park level A&S workshops and competitions. Not only does it show you have what it takes to be a Regent but its good for the game! Parks that normally don't do A&S are now encouraged to do it, which allows people to enter at the competition level in which they feel comfortable. More things happening at the park might drive up attendance and it just makes the game look better.

Regent Solithan

#makeamtgardpretty

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:50 pm 

I like the Statescraft section.
It was not my idea to add it but I think it allows and requires the populace to engage with their potential Monarchy. They should "want" to do this but may not currently know how or feel like they can.

If a proposed Monarch doesn't visit your park often or at all you might have no opinion of them. This allows you to form some structured opinions. Get your questions asked and see how they respond. This way you don't feel like you have to travel to form an educated opinion of someone.

As for relevance, let me tell you as a former 2 time Monarch and your current Regent, I get asked a LOT of questions. I'm likely to spend the better part of the day just answering questions. As I travel I answer the same questions a lot. If you're not prepared to be asked questions then you're likely not a best fit candidate for high office.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:34 am 

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this. I like what I think I'm seeing, but this proposed process isn't quite making it through my synapses (I blame the meds I'm on right now). At the risk of sounding utterly dense, could someone break this down for me on a practical level?

Posit: I plan to run for a Kingdom Office (let's say Regent, since I did that under the current system). What would I have to do under this proposed system, and how does the timing play in to it?

---------------------------------------
"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
-George Bernard Shaw

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:13 am 

Here are the concerns Midnight Sun has.

1. This proposal completely eliminates the need to prove you have time to work outside of park on park related stuff. Is there some other way to be sure that the qualifying officers are able to commit the time to being an officer once they're in office?

2. Midnight Sun can only qualify at Midnight Sun, another dutchy, or a kingdom event. Since the request is that each of the 3 categories are validated at different locations, that limits our ability to find activities to use to qualify. Could the travel requirement be removed for park level qualifications? If not, why not?

3. Will there be a grievence method to counter if a qualifying event does not earn a "passing" mark? I feel that this method of having a current officer sign off on the event duties allows a lot of personal conflict and group cliquishness to manifest. If there's a way to have the failing mark evaluated, then it might be enough checks & balance against the cliquishness of the Emerald Hills.

We look forward to your insight to our concerns!

Thank you,
Lady P'zazz
Midnight Sun Prime Minister

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:08 pm 

To be able to run just for park offices, how do you see the tiering happening for shires, baronies, and duchies?

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:50 pm 

Mezzie, the person would just help with park level things (1 tournament or battlegame reeve, 1 A&S tournament, and 1 park level event as a crat or assisting with it.). They could also help at a local park of the same level or higher, or help at the Kingdom level.

Puppet Master of the EH

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard