Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing

Post subject: Kings Lament
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:46 am 

As the day draws to an end Aria the newly appointed sheriff of the young shire of Artus Pass sits in her home contemplating the situation at hand. The day before the honorable Regent of the kingdom Cynisca visited the quite shire to issue a plea for help from the defenders of Artus Pass. She has asked for the defenders aid in ridding her home shire of King’s Point of a rebellious group known as the Mystic Dragons. That same day Aria, Artus Pass’ Regent Mertag and their trust advisor Sutra came to an agreement with the Regent to aid her in freeing King’s Point of this gang. Word must have spread swiftly through the land of the impending attack, as just as night started to fall, a messenger appeared at Aria’s home to deliver a message from Draqoonious Dragon the leader of the Mystic Dragons. Aria thanked the messenger and sent him on his way. She sat down at her desk and opened the letter.

The letter read: “Greetings Friends from Artus Pass I am Draqoonious Dragon Esquire, Sheriff of King's Point, and Capt. of the Mystic Dragons, a new company that has been around for 3 years. I assure you we are not a gang. In fact we "Mystic Dragons" have been planning on opening trades with our fellow shire Artus Pass. We found out that tales of our previous deeds have reached your ears. In fact, after we met, at Tanglewood Forest, we had shed our blood and sweat together working on the land. We reached out to form bonds with one another. Surely those respectable representatives of your great park remember us as we remembered them. So we wish no hard feelings or ill will to our friends at Artus Pass. In fact to show that we have no hard feelings, I personally would like to invite all of those from Artus Pass and their friends to visit King's Point, and on that visit we will throw a feast for you and your guests in hopes that we could join a peaceful communion between King's Point, The Mystic Dragons and the Respectable People of Artus Pass. Thank You for your time.
Sincerely Draqoonious Dragon Esquire,
Sheriff of King's Point,
Capt. of the Mystic Dragons”

This did not seem to be the same group the Regent sat in the court of Artus Pass just the day before and described to the officers. While Aria was new as Sheriff of Artus Pass, she was no fool. She realized this could be a trap set into motion by either the Regent Cynisca or The Mystic Dragons. The question at hand was who was speaking the truth.

After consulting with her Regent and court advisor and after much thought, Aria devised a plan and set it into motion. Aria realized the party that had the most to gain from the alliance with Artus Pass had the most to lose as well. She sat down at her desk, pulled out a quill and some paper and began writing two letters.

The letters read the same:” After receiving two offers for an alliance with my shire Artus Pass and after much contemplating I have arrived at a solution that will benefit my people the most. I will be excepting offers of goods and/or services in exchange for our alliance. The officers of Artus Pass and its defenders will travel to King’s Point and should arrive on Sunday afternoon. Offers will be accepted until our arrival at that time we will make our decision.

Sincerely Aria
Sheriff of Artus Pass”

Aria folded and sealed the letters. She addressed one to Regent Cynisca and the other to Sheriff Draqoonious Dragon. She then called for Artus Pass’ most trusted messenger and her youngest daughter, Gabriella. While Gabriella was short in statue, she often used it to her advantage as she was both quick and stealthy. Aria handed the letters to Gabriella and told her to deliver them to the intended recipients quickly but to be on her guard as something was amiss in King’s Point. Gabriella patted the sword hanging from her hip, grinned and said “Not to worry”. Gabriella then turned and disappeared into the night.

Post subject: Re: Kings Lament
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:49 am 

Looking up from my reading, I was informed of a messenger arriving. Was I so absorbed that I failed to notice the passing of time? “Why have no candles been lit?” I asked to no one in particular. “The coming storm has brought an early night to the sky, Miss. I’ll send someone up with some”. What could be so pressing that someone negates common sense of finding secure lodging for the night and then presents whatever urgent business in the morning?
“She’s waiting downstairs.” “Send her up.” Who the hell could it be? Please not more craziness from our wonderful leader.
A small child quietly entered and hovered near the door. “Sweetie, no candle is powerful enough to reach me from the door. And the door is strong enough to hold itself up. Do I need to give you permission to do your job?”
“My mother Aria, sheriff of Artus Pass, sent me to deliver this message to you.” Oh, so this one is the messenger. “And what is your name, little Hermes?” I ask as she approaches with the letter. “Gabriella.” Herm, a hint of no manners…
I take the letter from her and examine it. No official seal. No frilly barely legible writing on the front addressing it to me from Title Title Title I’m-an-important-someone-or-another. I hand it back to her and ask her to open it for me. Can’t be too careful these days. “Need me to read it to you, too?” No manners and a smart ass… definitely one of Aria's spawn.
I ring a small bell to summon someone. “No sweetie. I’m sure you are lucky to have parents with the foresight to educate their children, but I can handle it from here. Let me call someone to show you to the kitchen from some sweets and a drink. After all I know how long the journey is from Artus Pass to here and you made it in such quick time.” The door opens to a shadowed figure in a pattern-has-been-reproduced-and-the-maker-is-sick-of-pushing-them-out-for-any-and-everyone tunic.
“Yes Mistress?” “This is the little Hermes from our friends at Artus Pass. Take her to the kitchen and let her have something to drink and some sweets.” “Yes Mistress”. With a gentle push she walks towards him, slipping her small innocent hand into his. And they left me alone.
With this letter. What now? Was I not clear in my instructions? Could they possibly need something?

"After receiving two offers for an alliance with my shire Artus Pass and after much contemplating I have arrived at a solution that will benefit my people the most. I will be excepting offers of goods and/or services in exchange for our alliance. The officers of Artus Pass and its defenders will travel to King’s Point and should arrive on Sunday afternoon. Offers will be accepted until our arrival at that time we will make our decision.

Sincerely Aria
Sheriff of Artus Pass"

…Oh that little … wait. An offer of alliance? What could Artus Pass possibly gain with an alliance with those pretenders running around with sharp pointed sticks (how they have not cause severe injury to one or more of them is by peer magic!) that would far out way being in the Kingdom’s good graces? Is Artus Pass really run by incompetent fools?!
It’s late and I was expecting a quiet night. A relaxing night. How to respond…

Greetings leaders of Artus Pass:
I seem to have received a message in error. It read that you had apparently received a letter from Draqoonious or the Mystik Dragons in general. Either way, I am quite confused as to how you could conclude that you and yours at Artus Pass could benefit with an alliance with the Mystik Dragons and not the Kingdom. I thought when my party left from the shire that I was clear in my wishes. The Mystik Dragons are a minor problem in my homelands that I asked your group to help me rid. I offered you lodging and food during your stay and even offered you gifts of gratitude.
Since I see no logical reason why you should turn down my request of help, I appeal to your heart instead.

Cynisca, Regent of the Emerald Hills

After waiting for the ink to dry, I sealed the letter and went to open a secret paneling. Behind I saw a shadowed figure in a over-replicated yellow and blue tunic shackling a small, drugged child to a bed.
“Yes Mistress?”
“You continue to surprise me. First you infiltrate the Mystik Dragons and inform me of their every mad-brained schemes, and now you have taken care of this naïve child. Make sure this message gets to her mother.”
“Yes Mistress,” he replies as he leaves and blends into the stormy night shadows.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:06 pm 

Watching from the shadows of the formerly well known forest surrounding Kings Point, Gare watches the young one enter into the home of the current regent. He has been shadowing the young girl for some time, taking it upon himself to ensure her arrival to her destination.

Hmmm, she should have delivered her message and been on her way by now... About this time he sees the young girl begining to leave, she makes it about 3 steps and falls flat. While upon the ground a shadow detatches itself from the wall and lifts the young one onto his shoulder carrying her inside.

He may not know whom the child is, however he would not have thought the regent would stoop so low. Children. Moving with the stealth taught him through many years of tracking and hunting he moves to the citadel. Oh yes, he may not know the plans but this is a game he is well versed in. Distracting the guards is a simple matter, idiots, slipping inside is just as simple.

Once inside he is struck by the smell of a toxin, probably the one used on the child, that is both familiar and terrifying. This is the same poison someone attempted to use on him awhile back, and there is only one person whom he knows mixes his poisons this way. So he is now the pawn of the regent, this could be interesting. The guard outside the regents room obliged me by going to sleep at his post, albet with a little help.

Once inside her room he takes a few seconds to asses the situation. Seeing the notes on her desk, things are begining to become clearer. However still no sign of the child. Clearing his mind he starts at the door, tracking the movements. It is only too easy to find the "hidden" panel, and upon entering he sees the form of the child on the bed. Removing the restraints he lifts her to his shoulder, no time to be gentle, and leaves the chamber being careful that everything was as it should be when he entered.

Back outside the tower he enters back into the forest and camouflages himself and the child.

While Gare's sword may have been for sale, his convictions and morals havent been. Children are one of those morals and the people, especially the regent, at Kings Point seem to have forgotten that. He will drop the child at her mothers estate quickly and the await their arrival on sunday, when he himself will make his presence once again known, as well as that of his blade. The regents shadow seems to have forgotten the scars left upon him by said blade, perhaps it is time to re-educate.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:08 pm 

“What could be keeping her”, Aria thought to herself, stopping to peer out the window. As night starts to fall back at Artus Pass, Aria passes back in forth in front of the fire place only to stop to peer out the window once again. It has been four days since she dispatched her youngest daughter Gabriella to deliver two messages. Aria was starting to become concerned for her daughter.

Aria was aware of the possible dangers lurking in the not so quite shire of King’s Point as of late. Aria feared she had sent her daughter right into the hands of the possible traitor. She had not received word from either the Regent Cynisca or Sheriff Dragoonious in regards to the messages that she sent her daughter out to deliver, so she was not sure if the letters have been delivered. Then just as Aria thought she would lose her mind with worry a knock came at her door.

Aria rushes to open it only to discover no one was there. Just as Aria started to close the door she noticed a dark figure lying on the porch. Upon opening the door wider she recognized the figure to be her daughter. Aria looked around trying to locate the person who placed Gabriella there on her porch. Aria’s worst fears have become a reality as she had sent her daughter to her death. “Who has done this to my daughter?” As she bent down to pick up her daughter she discover to her relief that she wasn’t dead, she was warm and breathing but just barely.

She immediately called for her oldest daughter and Lady at Arms Isis. “Your little sister has been poisoned go and retrieve Sutra at once then ready the defenders we leave for King’s Point in the morning”. With anger and fear in her eyes and without a word Isis turned and disappeared into the night. As Aria sat in front of the fire place with her daughter in her arms she whispered to her “I give you my word I will find out who did this to you and they will pay”. As Aria waited for her advisor to arrive she grew more and more furious with each passing moment, she was determined to keep her word to her child.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:32 pm 

I left my Mom with my poisoned little sister, vowing to find out who did this. I walked into the kitchen and packed some food and water. It was a three hour trip, in the middle of summer.
When I stepped out, I took a deep breath, and then began to run north, where Sutra was.
After half an hour of running, I grew tired. I soon laid down on the soft grass, and fell asleep.
I was awoken by the sun shining brightly in my eyes. I stood up and stretched.
Just then, I heard hoof steps, but they were far off. I looked around and saw two horses, a black and a pinto. My hopes grew high. If I could tame those horses, I would get to Sutra faster.
But then, I saw two knights on those horses. I grew worried. What if the person who poisoned Gabriella sent knights over Artus Pass?
I hid behind some large bushes and waited. The knight walked by, talking. I heard something about poisoning, but I wasn’t really listening.
I looked around and found a long vine. I coiled it up so it looks like a snake and tossed it in front of the horses.
The horses reared up, and the men fell off. I rushed out and check on the men. They had AP’s symbol on their armor. Opps. At least I didn’t kill them. I quickly mounded the black and looped the pinto’s reins around the saddlehorn and urged my horse into a canter.
With half an hour to go, we stopped at a river, and drank. I ate a sandwich and soon, we were on our way again.
Finally, we reached Sutra. He mounded the pinto and we galloped back to Aria’s place.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:58 am 

The night was dark. The moon was nowhere to be found in the sky. A breeze swept through trees making a whistling sound as it passed over the branches in its failed attempt to cool this hot summer night. A lone messenger rode towards the Duchy of Eagleshire on what seemed to be a beautiful black Clydesdale. The sounds of the hoofs beating against the worn road were easily heard by the dark cloaked figure sitting atop the branches of an old tree on the outskirts of the duchy. By the look of the messenger’s attire, he knew this was important. “Halt” Yelled the cloaked figure. “What is your business in this duchy?” the messenger replied “I have a letter for the one called Famous.” The cloaked figure leapt from the trees onto the worn dirt road , removing his hood. His shoulder length blonde hair blew in the wind as his blue eyes seemed to pierce the soul of the messenger. “ I am he” replied Famous . The messenger doubted this answer but was to afraid to question it as he noticed the sword on Famous’ side. He handed him the letter and rode back the direction he came. Famous opened the letter after seeing the official seal of the Regent of The Emerald Hills. As he read the letter a slight smirk appeared on his face. He knew what was to be done and without hesitation he headed for King’s Point.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:26 am 

The rich green canopy whispered in the warm morning breeze. The shadow wearily laid the last stone on the earthy mound. His hand cupped the smooth river stone. Memories flooded back of a more innocent time when the air sang with untainted eagerness and child like expectation.

Time and experience had changed the once smooth veneer into a pock mocked and distrustful surface. His insides were much less desirable. Kneeling on his right knee, Sutra muttered a small prayer through gritting teeth.

This solemn moment was a welcome escape from the unexplainable occurances of late. It had been a week since Artus Pass had been under siege again by the king himself. Sutra never thought he'd see the day when he would have to attack his own home. He knew this was merely the begining of a grander scheme of things.

The impostor regent had been dispatched, its summoner still remained unknown. They needed to trace its dark source before things began to seriously get out of hand.

It had been only a day after the appearance of the royal doppleganger when an official letter from the actual regent reached the desk of Sheriff Aria pleading for assistance against what she described as a 'gang' plaguing her home of King's Point.

Aria discussed the matter with her dark confidant before thanking him for his insight before sending a messenger. The shade had not been seen for almost a week since the near desctruction of Artus Pass.

Sutra inahled deeply and held his breath while clearing his mind. The drumming of his heart brought a much welcomed solace.

It was the panting horses that gave away her position. He knew this had been done on purpose. Sutra stood and slid into the inviting shadow of the forest tree line and waited. The small figure sat atop a plain black horse. They held the reigns of a second horse.

‘Sutra...’ the small voice whispered. The familiar voice was laced with a panic he had not heard since their first encounter. Though she was young in age, he had found in her an older wisdom lacking in others at this point in their life. The spark in her burned bright and unwavering. As his knight had found a kindred spirit in his squire, Sutra had found the same in his young student.

‘Please be here…Sutra!’ she spoke bravely into the empty clearing. Of all the members of Artus Pass, she was the only one instructed on his more recent movements in the event of emergencies. Confused anger intertwined with vengeful concern stirred in her spirit.

‘Isis.’ Sutra assuringly confirmed as he slid from the protection of the dark.

Her eyes focused on the motionless shade. Her dirty face and tangled hair made her look like a child of the woods. She was weary but had managed to make her way to him.

‘My sister…she’s been poisoned. Please, mother needs your help.’ She knew he’d come. The new sheriff had recently come to him for advice. Things had not been easy for the new officers, with war lurking on the horizon. All for the wrong reasons he thought.

Always for the wrong reasons.

His lady at arms raced ahead of him. He understood her drive to return home as fast as she could. The possible death of her sister weighed heavily on her spirit. Sutra had found himself increasingly disconnected from the worries or concerns of others over the past years, but her angry fear somehow become his own.

Isis had managed to briefly explain what she last heard and saw at her parent’s home. Her sister had been sent to King’s Point as a messenger and had not returned in the expected time only to appear unconscious at her mother’s door step.

Only a disgraceful coward would stoop to the level of harming a child. He racked his brain attempting to trace the possible culprit and motivations behind these treacherous actions. His mind raced as wildly as the young girl in front of him. He should have known better to lose focus on his surroundings.

The whisper of the arrow did not stir him from his waking dream. It was the crumbling horse that had its left leg pierced by the arrow that called him back to reality. Sutra managed to roll into the fall slightly avoiding major injury from flailing horse hooves.

Sutra had once learned that only fools and thieves used the main roads. Fortunately he remembered that and planned on teaching that to Isis. Now, the important of lesson of survival was in session.

Sutra watched as Isis instinctually turned her horse to see the rider less horse panicked by it fresh injury writhing on the dry earth, before leaping off her own steed and finding the welcome protection of dark cover. That, Sutra nodded approvingly, was something he had not taught her.

He knew not to call out her name, least they be tracked back by their assailants if and when the two sins managed to get out of this alive.

The sun hung high in the midday sky. Birds sang their songs of warning as they flittered away from the neighing horse, fully aware that things were not right in their world. Within moments the two beasts escaped with their lives intact, heading back for their home. Horses had that knack - of remembering where home was. Something, Sutra chuckled at, should be remembered by all. Least he hand't lost his sense of humor.

Only the continuous droning of cicadas filled the air.

Sutra waited and listened. He could hear them breathing. Three, maybe four others accompanied them in this small parcel of forest this very moment.

It was a shame that today would be their last day alive.

S
[con’t]

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:06 am 

The small contingent of Green Dragons arrived at Kings Point as the King, their fellow brother in arms, had requested. The scene was chaotic. The ruffians that the regent had spoken of were on one side of the field, the regent and her escort on the other...but there was more.

It seemed that many who had arrived were no sure what to make of the coming feud, and chose to wait and no align themselves with either group until they knew more. Some parlayed with the regent, other with the ruffians. Some simply waited and watched.

"Tigger, what are we doing?" Forest asked.

Tigger looked at the gathering forces and turned back to his comrades. "We are going to route out the ruffians. We are not here to harm the peaceful members of King's Point, nor to engage in hostility with the members of Artus Pass."

Forest looked around once more at the field of combatants. "And those not aligned with either?" he questioned.

"No, unless they take actions against us, we have no reason to quarrel with anyone. Including the Cats." Tigger instructed.

Forest cast his gaze at the far end of the field and saw the members of Sable Pride staying close to the shadows. They were watching him as well. They were also keeping an eye on the king and the regent. Their motives were unknown.

Then there was commotion near the tree line. The ruffians had persuaded a few members of the shire to join the, but being unsure of the intent of the rest of the field, shot into the woods. The regent called for her escort to prepare to hunt them down. Forest and the Green Dragons took a protective stance around the king as the rest of the field went into action. When he turned back to survey the scene, Forest realized that the member Sable Pride had also vanished into the woods.

The hunt was on. Time passed slowly as Forest scouted paths in the woods of the shire. Time and again he came across other warriors, some known to him, some unknown, but none seemingly hostile. He passed by Sable Pride on more than one occasion, but again, no hostilities...just a loud hissing behind him after he passed.

"Damnit! Are these ruffians cowards? Do they talk big but shrink away from conflict?" Forest mumbled as he looped across the same path for the 3rd time.

Just when he thought the day would be a waste, he heard the sounds of battle. Quickly he ran towards the noises and found his company brothers pressing the ruffians, with the king leading the charge.

"He's gonna get himself killed doing things like that...A lot!" Forest thought to himself and he pushed past the king and engaged the front lines. It was a short battle. Riggor's bow had stopped many of the ruffians before they could engage in the battle. The rest faired no better against the swords of the kings guard.

When the fighting stopped, Forest prepared to take his leave and return to Eagleshire. This is when he was informed of the death of the regent.

"Hmmmm, seems her escort wasn't doing it's job. But it is also apparent that this was not the work of the ruffians. Well, the king is safe, and I have matters to attend before we head to the gathering and counsel with other lands."

Forest began the trip home. He was sure that once the royal healers had worked their magic, the regent and her guard would reveal who had been responsible for the attack. Then, he would see what, if anything, the king wanted to do about it.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:23 pm 

Fionnigan Hellblazer looked around and peered into the mist and trees surrounding him. How had he come to be here, and where exactly was here? Fionnigan noticed that from where he was standing the treeline moved around in a curve to his left. He was standing outside of a small forest, and there were only a few parts of the Empire that were part of the great forest of Tanglewood. Without anymore landmarks than that though Fionnigan was finding it difficult to discern where in the Empire he was.
"This must be a dream." Fionnigan thought to himself as he began to follow the treeline in front of him.
This had to be a dream, but he hadn't dreamt in years. Not since his childhood when his latent talent for foresight had been more chaotic. Once Finn had mastered the rituals of the shine he stopped dreaming. It was just that abrupt as well, he went to sleep one night in his dormatory room and woke not having dreamt a single dream, and it wasn't like he had some dreams and just couldn't remember them when he woke, he had literally not dreamt at all. So, now after eighteen years of not having dreamt a single night being in the middle of his own dreamscape, and knowing that he was dreaming Finn was fascinated to find the scource of why he was dreaming.
"Obviously I'm here to recieve a message." Finn thought for no rational reason at all.
Rational or not the idea seemed logical, and now Finn only wondered what was that message. Just as he was pondering this thought Finn stopped his pace dead, and stood eyes wide as his dead wife Katherina came floating toward him.
"You won't save her."
"Won't save her? Won't save who? What are you talking about?" Finn inquired of his long dead bride.
"You won't save her"Came another voice behind Finn.
Finn turned around to see the face of his first wife Sura now behind him. Having laid the torch on her funeral pyre Fionnigan knew she was dead. Why were the two women he had loved and lost now coming to him in a dream, or was this a nightmare, and telling him that he wouldn't save her. And just who the hell was SHE anyway? Fionnigan turned back around to face Katherina and there was nothing but empty mist covered plain to his left and forest to his right.
Finn began to turn around when he heard a sound that combined the pounding rhythm of a stone troll's steps, and the lyrical melody of a pissed off harpy coming from behind him and closing in on him fast; "YOU'RE NOT GOING TO SAVE HER!!! YOU'RE NOT GOING TO SAVE HER!!! YOU'RE NOT GOING TO SAVE HEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!" As Finn heard the first shreik strike the air he chanted a protection incantation. It was only possible for him to die in a dream if a sleepwalker spell was being used on him, but he wasn't about to investigate that the hard way. However as he got halfway turned around Finn noticed something in the forest. He caught the gleam of a pauldron, and the very next second the forest was full of irregulars coming straight for him swords drawn.
Finn woke with a start, and sat striaght up in bed. He felt the very real, and very cold, even on this muggy summer night, sheen of sweat that covered his body. He looked to his right and assured himself of the presence of the beautiful young bard that he had begun to visit on a regular basis. Vasalisa was still lying there fast asleep, and enjoying wonderful dreams where nothing dead and bloodthirsty is waiting around the next corner to take your head off. Finn placed his hand on the woman's hip and felt her move slightly below the covers of the bed. He got up filled his pipe, and went out on the balcony to look out over the forum and ponder what this dream meant.

I do not suffer fools gladly, and fools with white belts never.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:15 pm 

Finn woke to the sound of Vasalisa singing a beautiful and light ballad in her native tongue. The music filled the air and brought Finn from the black void that passed for sleep for him. His eyes opened to the scene of a busy forum below him, and the rising sun casting long shadows over the Emerald City. Memory flooded back to him with a crash as hard as the sunlight that was shining from the east. He had slept here the whole rest of the night after that horrible nightmare.

“No it wasn’t a nightmare it was a warning. If it had been just a nightmare I wouldn’t have cared besides the fact that it happened at all.” Finn thought to himself.

Finn got up from the chair he had slept in that morning, and walked back into the one room apartment he had become so familiar with in the last few months. He searched the room looking for his clothes, and weapons. He located them, and began to clothe himself.

“Leaving so soon my darling?” Vasalisa inquired in her thick accent.

“Yes dear heart I have to find my charge, and see about a task he needs me to perform.” Finn replied.

“Oh I was hoping you would be able to go to the bazaar with me today. I was going to cook you one of my favorite dishes.” Said Vasalisa.

“I’m afraid it may have to wait a couple of days my dear. There are things going on right now in the empire that I can’t talk about, but will have me away from the city for long periods of time. I wish it didn’t have to be this way, but I am not going to be able to see you as often as you or I would like. I am after all the Dux Aquila, and my duties to the empire and her glory must come first.” Said Finn sternly.

“I understand my love. Please return to me as soon as you can.” Replied Vasalisa.

“I will.” And with that Finn left Vasalisa’s apartment in the Narrows neighborhood of the Emerald City, and began to make his way to the bowery. He was to meet his charge Tuk Uziel there. As he walked along the narrow jade cobblestone streets he couldn’t help but wonder if the vision he had the previous night had something to do with his charge’s task. He had no way of knowing until he found out what that task was, and even then he might not know until it was too late. For that matter the vision could have something to do with Vasalisa.

“Well there’s no use plowing a field that can’t grow a damn thing.” Finn grumbled to himself as he began to pass into the bowery. He rounded a corner and ducked into an alley behind an apothecary shop. As he made his way down the alley he recognized the black and white tunic of his old friend and master Tuk at the other end of the alley.

Finn cast a teleportation spell, and appeared directly in front of Tuk. Tuk raised his head and an eyebrow at the wizard, and grumbled under his breath,

“Show off. You couldn’t walk the hundred feet like a normal person? Why the hell do you do that anyway?” Tuk asked.

“Because it makes you do this, and that amuses me.” Replied Finn.

“Okay jack ass you’re really funny. Now get your head on straight we have important things to deal with. You have to go and protect the Regent as she makes her way home from her travels. There’ve been some problems as of late with a group of irregulars in the Point. They call themselves the Mystic Dragons, and they want the Regent dead. I need you to go be her shadow. She’ll be arriving in the Point day after tomorrow. Last she was seen by folks in the area she was on the Way of Banners and heading south.”

“I can handle that. I’m ready to go right now. I’ll ready Felarof and I should hit the Way by tomorrow morning.” Finn stated.

“Don’t muck this up man at arms. You already failed once, and if you fail again she will probably be killed.” Tuk stated coldly.

“I won’t let you down, my charge.” Finn said and than turned and walked back down the alley, and into the crowded street beyond.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:20 pm 

“Do you see anything old friend?” Finn asked Felarof telepathically.

“Not yet…Wait there’s a caravan, and I see King’s Point banners.” Replied Felarof.

“That would be them.” Said Finn.

Finn tugged gently at the neck feathers of Felarof, and the gryphon dived to the rolling hills below him. He swooped past the caravan coming just a few hundred feet over the heads of the guards and horsemen travelling with the Regent. They all ducked for a second, and then some cheered as Felarof landed in the sloping field next to the road. Finn dismounted his gryphon, and started toward the caravan. As he approached the Regent’s praetorian they formed a line between Finn and the royal carriage. Finn put his hands up in a peaceful gesture.

“Stand down praetorian I have no quarrel with you. Our purposes are in full alignment you, and I.” Finn said as he approached the carriage.

“Who are you?” Asked the captain of the guard.

“My name is Fionnigan Hellblazer, and I am Dux Aquila. Now as I said stand down. I am here for the same purpose you are, to protect the Regent.” Finn said and turned to look down the way the caravan was headed. He noticed the tree line immediately. Was it possible this was the same batch of forest that was in his dream? Of course, the village of King’s Point sits on the very edge of Tanglewood Forest. This was his dream, vision, coming true right in front of him.

“she said something about a message, and a child. We’ve been on the road for all of yesterday and the better part of today.” Said the Captain of the Regent’s guard.

“What did you say? I only caught the tail end of that I was not quite here if you know what I mean.” Replied Finn.

“I said sir that we started out for King’s Point late the other night. The Regent came to us said something about a message and a child, and told us to get ready. We left that night and have been on the road since. We’ve been on the road for all of yesterday and most of today.” Replied the Captain.

“Well I am going to ride ahead, and check the edge of the woods. I’ve got a bad feeling about this, and I want to quell my nerves. You and the rest of your men wait here. I will return shortly and we will be on our way.” Said Finn.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:14 pm 

'I'm not sure you've found who or what you're looking for...' the hidden shadow sneered through gritting teeth. 'But, you've definitely found something...'

The veteran shade knew his student would make it through this skirmish alive and well. A new story for her to tell her family once they made it back to the welcome walls of Artus Pass. Time was running out for her sister. The new sheriff and her family were depending on him yet again.

Sutra silently revealed a dull dagger and smiled as he reverently surveyed its sidhe wrought curve. He remembered when there was a reflection to be seen in it. It had faded away over the years. As he had done with every mark he had made, he kissed the blade and the tinge of poison singed his lips. The master assassin could feel the anti-venom course through his veins right down to the tip of his fingers and toes.

It had been a while since he had hunted.

A quick spark and a hazy cloud hovered over the trampled grass where he lay seconds before. The shade rematerialized a few yards behind the last known position of their aggressors. Sutra steadied himself against the giving trunk of an ancient oak. Her pulse thundered like a thousand crashing waves against a cliff.

The anxious bowman kneeled patiently knowing his target would eventually give him the kill shot he would brag about around the campfire tonight. The shade smirked and slithered to mere feet behind his objective. Slowly, the archer drew his bowstring taught and took aim. Sutra peered over the attackers shoulder and saw Isis peering out from behind a tree. The man’s chuckle made the assassins blood boil.

‘All too easy…’ the wretch muttered.

‘Indeed…’ hissed the stalking cat.

With a flick of the wrist, the bow string flopped over the archers still knocked arrow. Before he could shout a warning to the others, his airway was cutoff by a warm metal taste. Sutra ran the blade from the right side of the man’s jerking neck out through to the left side. The shade pressed against the convulsing mans body; dragging him down to the ground behind the unseen cover of the fallen log the archer had chosen for protection.

‘Should have chosen better cover today …like staying home…” teased the satisfied sin.

Sutra rolled the dying man over and leaned over, intrigued by this particular blends affect. Immediate blindness and swelling of tongue. Sweating of blood, wasn’t expecting that. Welcome bonus indeed.

The dead man fell limp before Sutra retrieved the sanguine blade.

Sutra peered over the log and glanced over to where he last saw Isis. She was gone. Sutra grunted with a hint of concern.

The crushing of leaves and twigs caught his attention as he peered straight ahead. His sole student stood motionless, transfixed by what she had just witnessed. She had seen war and death, but nothing like this. Not by an assassin. Not this up close and personal. The dark one could sense no fear or disgust in her. Only acceptance. She wanted to know what he knew. She wanted to know what he knew, and do it better. He knew he had chosen well.

Her tell-tale sound had also alarmed the dead mans allies and the two shades were quickly surrounded. Sutra beckoned to Isis with a hurried hand gesture. The young apprentice slid next to her teacher.

“We’ve got em cornered!” grunted a crouching shield man. The whooping and hollering came from multiple corners in the deep woods.

Sutra whispered to his wide eyed companion.

‘Can you see your home?’ he asked. A slight wave of confusion washed over her face. She shrugged her shoulders in question.

‘Close your eyes…and think of home. Of your family. Can you do that for me?’ Sutra inquired.

‘Yeah…yeah, I think I can.’ Isis agreed.

With tightly closed eyes, she remembered home. Sutra’s lips moved but no sound was made. His incantation complete, he smiled and knew she was in for an experience.

‘Don’t let them out of your sights! He wants them alive! Maimed is fine, but alive!’ the apparent leader of the pack declared.’

The dark shade pressed his fingers gently on Isis’ forehead and smiled.

The brilliant flash of light momentarily stunned the celebrating war party. With that, silence replaced the instantaneous crack.

The pack leaders foiled howls echoed throughout the forest.

S
[con’t]

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:09 pm 

Regent Cynisca walked steadily along the side of the road in front of Finn. Finn was keeping a close watch on the forest while at the same time trying to watch the plains. Finn had sent Felarof to take to the skies and scout the area around the Point. Felarof had done as his master bid, and was presumably overhead watching the two of them as they made the last mile to the village. Regent Cynisca’s praetorian had also been taken out a few here a few there along the way, until finally it was only the two of them left. Had the Emperor and his regiment of warriors assisted them, and not fought the Emperor’s personal battle, there might have been more of the Regent’s praetorian left.

They had been approaching King’s Point when the Emperor and his Green Dragon regiment showed up. They met the Regent’s caravan as it approached the outskirts of King’s Point.

“Hail fellow well met. Dux Aquila Hellblazer, what brings you to King’s Point?” Asked Emperor Tigger.

“I would ask you the same thing, with all do respect, my emperor.” Replied Finn.

“And I would tell you that we have heard whispers of something mystic in the woods around the Point, and we have come to destroy it.” Stated the emperor.

“Well I am simply following the orders of my charge. I was told to protect the regent on her journey home, and so I am.” Finn responded.

“Well, then I wish you good luck with that. From what I have heard there are many who would make your task a difficult one.” And with that the emperor turned his steed and he and his regiment charged into the forest.

That had been a few hours and a few men earlier. As it stood right now there was only the two of them, and two sorcerers no less. They were also right out in the open along the road for anyone to see. As this realization occurred to Finn he looked at the way ahead of he and the Regent, and realized that he had seen this very landscape before. Not but two nights prior, and he was pretty sure he knew what happened next.

As the realization began to sink in that Finn was wake-walking through a dream landscape, he caught the flash of something metal coming from his right in the trees of Tanglewood. He began to turn and face the forest when out from the tree line came a regiment of irregulars in piecemeal armor running out of the forest, wild and screaming, hungry for violence. Finn began an enchantment, and was cut short by the cold steel of a long sword cutting into his torso. Blood spewed from his mouth as he exhaled the breath he had taken in to speak, and the last thing he saw before darkness fell upon him was the twin peaks of the Artus Pass standard.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:24 am 

The hidden stream bubbled with summer life. Dragonflies hovered in the air and the cool green canopy swayed in the evening breeze. Cicadas chirped in cacophonous harmony. A flash here and there could be seen, fireflies calling out with blinking signals.

The small shapes free fall broke the silence. The loud splash caused a fantastic commotion. It was the confused and angry yelps that made the shadow chuckle. A solitary figure stood at the edge of the creek as he watched the wild ripples settle down. A second figure emerged from the water soaked to the bone with an annoyed howl.

‘And that little one, is called…Teleporting.’ Spoke the amused shadow.

‘That’s not fair Sutra!’ Isis cried out as she shoved hair out of her face.

‘I told you to think of home home, not this place. Not my fault.’ Sutra scanned the serene oasis. ‘Though I like your taste in hideaways.’ Sutra smiled approvingly. ‘Come then, we’ve got a little sister to save.’

Sutra turned on his heel and began his short trek to the Mertag’s abode.

Isis caught up with the dark one. Slowly, the open land Artus Pass rested on came into view as they came over the twin peaks of the pass. Off in the distance, a lazy plume of fireplace smoke came from a single home with a lit candle sitting on the windowsill.

Within moments the two shadows were standing at the doorstep.

Isis pressed the door open and was immediately greeted by sharp points of trembling swords. Mertag, Torgas, and Eniad all stood at attention as they confirmed it the friendly face. The young apprentice backed up and spoke. ‘I found him.’

The shade stepped out of the protective obscurity darkness and into the dimly lit room.

Familiar eyes stared at him with respectful caution. The guild-master of assassins usually doesn’t make house calls. Let alone calls where preserving life was the objective.

Aria quickly came up and embraced her eldest daughter. ‘Mertag, get her a bowl of soup and sit her by the fire, she’s drenched!’

Mertag nodded a silent thank you to the walking shadow and began gathering what remained of a humble offering of food for the weary travelers.

‘Come…’ Aria said through grinding teeth. ‘…when I find out who did this to my daughter…’ her eyes burned hot, glowing coals of fanned anger. She stopped at a door and slowly opened it. A bundled form lay motionless in a single bed to the right side of the room. A single candle burned silently, casting a sinister waltz of shadows.

‘I will cut their heart out and make them eat it...’ Aria solemnly stated. Sutra stepped into the room.

‘How long has she been out?’
‘I don’t know…at least eight hours since she was left at the door.’

The shades brow furrowed. ‘Left at the door? As in delivered like a parcel?’ He inquired.

Aria grit her teeth trying to hold back the tears of furious agony. For one to harm a child. This was a monster that required hunting indeed.

Sutra quietly paced towards the bed and scanned the child’s pale face. Sweat had begun to bead into a slight red tinge. He leaned over and inhaled, searching for any clues.

‘Henbane…’ his voice confirmed. ‘A novice mixture, but creative. Sutra revealed a small vial containing a brilliant sapphire hued liquid. Her mother’s strength surprised the assassin as he traced the death grip she held on his wrist up to her terrified eyes.

‘I swear…if you’re here to finish someone else’s job…’ Sutra’s eye flashed white with ire. ‘Valerian.’ He growled. ‘It will cure your child and bring her rest.’ The dark face scowled with subsiding malice. He would forgive her this one trespass. A betrayed mother knew no bounds in exacting her vengeance. Aria relaxed her grip and nodded.

Sutra slowly resumed his work as he tipped the small vial to the girls parted lips. The liquid poured out in a wispy smoke, inhaled by the small child.

Silence.

‘Well!?’ Aria asked.

‘Wait.’
‘Damn it Sutra, I asked you to help us…not fill our heads with hop…’

His speed was almost undetectable. Sutra stood inches before the concerned mother. ‘I swear…if I were here to finish the ‘job’, then not one of you would be left to tell the tale.’ The irate assassin slowly regained his composure.

‘She’ll be fine. Give her a couple hours. In the mean time…’ Sutra moved for the exit without looking back. ‘You may want to gather a hunting party and head out to King’s Point.’

‘So you know who did this?’ Aria exclaimed.

‘No…but you’ll find those responsible there.’ Sutra quickly made his way through the single hall back to the small kitchen where the others asked a huddled figure in whispered questions.

Silence filled the room as Sutra made his way to the door.

‘King’s Point it is then…’ asked the barbarian.

Mertag stood along Torgas before excusing himself to check on his wife and daughter. Eniad leaned back against the wall near the fireplace and watched the shade. ‘So will you be joining us there Sutra?’

Sutra met Eniad’s eyes and could trace the shared concern they all felt for the sick child.

‘I’ll be there.’

Eniad slowly nooded and looked back at the fire. Isis stood up and walked up to her teacher. ‘Leave with the others, I’ll look for you when I get to King’s Point. Understood?’ Sutra confirmed. His apprentice nodded and joined her family in the back room.

Sutra took to the warm night in preparation to reignite the dark rites of old.

He had been given the task to rebirth ancient traditions. Traditions held in secret, long before the inception of colored streaks that tainted every man, woman, and child in every realm of this physical world. Badges of colored shame, used to denote what he or she was made of. Sad how times had changed. How times took to the easier path of ‘progress’.

Sutra would reawaken the masses. One kindred spirit at a time.

The thundering storm clouds roiled angrily in the distance. A dark storm was coming. And Sutra would meet it head on.

S
[con’t on Dragon Hunting 101]

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing