Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing

Post subject: Alliances
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:04 pm 

The shade made his way down from Artus Peak, stalking silently into the quiet tavern. Finding a weary bar keep, he ordered a loaf of bread and a mug of luke warm cider.

Sitting down, Sutra split the loaf and bit deep. His mind recoiled from the unwelcome vision the unannounced messenger had brought him.

The child's cries rattled in his head. The stench of the necrotic wyrm overwhelmed the sweet cider he swallowed hard. His flesh still burned from the unnatural heat he experienced. Just how real was this vision he circled.

The distant wailing neared. 'I must be going mad!', Sutra muttered. His imagination was running free and bleeding into his waking state. He was convinced his drink had been drugged. He was certain of it.

The tavern doors slammed open as the cloaked figure burst in. Her cries drowned out the sins thoughts.

'Red Storm! Red Storm is no more!!!' the figure moaned.

Sutra stood to attention and cautiously kept the figure at a distance. Was the shire under so much duress that madness gripped her inhabitants?

'They came in the middle of the night, they said it was for our own good!' the figure stammered loudly.

'Calm down and tell me what happened...' the shade calmly demanded.

'Some of us managed to escape. But the others...'

'What happened!?' Sutra coldly questioned.

'Red Storm is no more, it's under their protection now. The...the scaled ones have come.'

The shadow slowly approached the crumpled figure, pale hands ripping at her clothing. Sutra's heart leapt from his chest at the sight of so much misery.

'What's happened to Red Storm?' Sutra asked as faces and names of friends and allies flashed across his mind's eye.

'Dragon Storm. Dragon Storm is risen.'

Sutra stood frozen as the word settled on his ears. A second outpost taken and placed under the Green Dragon banner, all in less than a month. Surely there was a greater scheme to things not seen.

'Get her some food and drink, make room at the inn.' Sutra barked to the bar keep.

It took two men and the calming voice of a maid to subdue the hysterical traveler, taking her to a dry room with a welcoming bed. The bitter cold was working its devious work on any strangling souls tonight.

Slowly, the shade made his way to the center of the empty main road. Clouded breath escaped his lips as he stared up to the starlit sky. He needed advice. Guidance from those who had seen this many a times before. Guidance from the ancients. Direction from the flickering tail spirits.

The kingdom was under siege from an unseen foe. Talk of mourning spirits, blood drinkers and vision of undead dragons flowed all around him. The Emerald Hills needed to unify against this plague as one single will.

Mustering every fiber of strength in his mortal coil, Sutra called out to his brothers and sisters as he focused on a single concise point of convocation.

A voice of aged wisdom responded. A voice that reverberated in his spirit.

'It is done.' he responded.

Sutra smiled.

Flickering light circled around the teleporting sin as he reached the inner sanctum of the Pride's lair.

'Artus Pass seeks allegiance and protection from the Pride.' Sutra declared.
'King's Point seeks allegiance and protection from the Pride.' Magnus exclaimed.

Voices echoed here and there. Whispers carried far and wide. Thoughts trickled from within.

'And who will carry this word of warning and offer of treaty to the others?' spoke a unified voice.

'I will.' answered Sutra.

The shade knew that this course of action was necessary. It was the only way. The kingdom would need to unite under a unified banner if it planned to survive it's newest enemy.

Time was not on their side.

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post subject: Re: Alliances
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:25 am 

Forest and Everlast sat in the meeting chambers of the keep at Dragonshire.

"Another has joined us in unity." Forest announced. "Dragon's Rain is now with us."

"I had heard rumors." Everlast replied. "But I have heard other news as well."

"About the Pride?" Forest questioned.

"Yes. It seems they are unifying parks as well. We should have known they would seek to cause strife against us."

Everlast drank from his stein and slammed it back down on the table.

"Calm down. They may be simply gathering the southern parks that do not have the best relations with Draginshire so that all are part of an alliance." Forest said

"Or they may be planning to oppose us. Do you forget that Nightengael herself led an assault on the Keep not 2 weeks ago?! She wears the cat upon her breast. They may all be ready to stand against us"

"But then they oppose their own. Tuk! is with us and supports the unification. It is possible she was acting alone and out of grief. It is the time of year when..."

Everlast held up a hand to stop the thought. "That is a pain many of us bear. I will hope for the best then. But you never know the mind of the Dark Saint. He is often an ally, and as often a foe."

"True, "Forest agreed, "but until we know, let us not create trouble. Our mission is peace through a unified alliance. And we have another negotiation to do. Plus....well...there may be trouble."

"More?"

"Yes, there are reports of giants to the north, between us and the parks across the river. In light of recent events, Idoubt they are just passing through. We should plan for an attack and warn the others."

"A fight! Now yer talking my language. Send the messages to our allies and prepare the keep for an assault. We will not sit idle while this kingdom is threatened."

With that, Everlast stood and headed to the armory. Forest smiled. When the big man had that fire in his eyes, it meant trouble...the good kind.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:05 pm 

Journal of Fionnigan Hellblazer

So apparently another shire has come under the banner of the Dragons. I am also hearing that Sable Pride is now beginning to bring various shires and baronies under their control. This is exactly what I was afraid of. This right here, a house divided against itself.

This empire was at one time the envy of all of Amtgardia. Those of us who lived under its banner walked with heads held high knowing that we had the privilege of living in the greatest land in all of the continent. Now we fight amongst ourselves and squabble over allegiances. They say now that behind every smile in the imperial senate there is an unsheathed dagger just waiting to be pressed between your shoulder blades. At one point in time this empire rested control of it’s destiny from the first kingdom, and was not challenged, and now those days are just lost in the mists of time. The fact is this empire has lost the luster of its elder days.

I met with my mother earlier today on the astral plane, and she suggested that I take this kingdom’s crown by force and impose my will on it. I am not in a position to attempt a coup since I have no standing army draw on. My allies are but a handful. I do not have ties to any company strong enough to enlist their aid. So than why do I feel as though I must lead some sort of revolt against the current power structure, and lead this empire to a return to its glory days? Perhaps because someone should. We have had too many who’ve worn the crown in recent years too concerned for their own legacy and not for the kingdom’s. While those on whose backs this kingdom is built are looked over for their well earned glory or used for those in power to gain and keep their positions. We need a strong leader to take control of this empire, ensure that everyone is marching in the same direction, and return us to the glory of those days when the banner of the twin peaks was something more than a bloated aged shell of it’s former self.

I do not suffer fools gladly, and fools with white belts never.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:14 pm 

Sitting at his desk, the Dark Knight thumbed through one of the many heavy tombs strewn about his study… Taking notice of one particular page, he began to hurriedly jot notes on a single piece of parchment. The quill’s tip making scratching sounds as it danced across the paper forming symbols and letters into words of power.

As always, thoughts ran rampantly through his troubled mind. Some of his own making, others emanating from the dark and evil soul embedded deeply within his psyche. Images from the past blended with visions of the future, flashed across the mirrors of his mind’s eye. A thousand times he’d died and a thousand times returned… the Demon growing stronger with every passage across the river of life and death.

“Death is only the beginning…” he had once heard.

Laughing to himself, he dipped his quill and continued writing at an almost fevered pace.
Once again the Muse had hit him as she often did in the seasons of the witch and into the long sleep. The days had grown shorter and the mind wondered long into the cold endless nights.

As always, in the center of his mental cyclone was the kingdom he had dreamed of so long ago and how it had become great as any civilization that had come before. Yes indeed, the Hills had grown into a true empire, complete with ruling dynasties, corrupt politicians and rebels who fought against their eternal hold on freedom.

The night waned on forever, the silence broken only by the scratching of quill on parchment and the occasional calling of a black cat…

At the top of the page, written in bold cursive, read the following…

Saga of The Dragon Lords

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:33 pm 

The long trek North was a welcome distraction from the dire situation in the South. The thought of visiting with old friends and kindling new companionship's warmed his heart.

Aria's caravan arrived exactly at 5am as agreed upon. Her young ones shifted under the weight of blankets, rubbing their eyes at the moment of motionless waiting.

Sutra packed his humble belonging and thanked Lord Aria for her patience. The small wagon lurched into the early morning and were on their way North to Red Storm.

The sheriff stirred from a light nap at the sound of laughing. He joined in the various games the girls played and chuckled at the jokes they shared. Aria and Sutra discussed their brief visit of the Elven Court, allowing him to share some history with the attentive driver.

Soon, the small band would reach the first day of Weapon and Dragon Master hosted by their sister shire, Red Storm.

The day drug on as new and vetted warriors locked in exhilarating combat. The spread of immaculate arts and crafts dazzled onlookers. Sutra even managed to have much welcomed assistance at his small merchants booth.

Sitting under the shade of his merchants canopy, the ever watchful sin watched as combatants shook hands, listened as judges shared thoughts on the decadent display of food and drink.

It was the sound of shoving and running followed by a woman's muffled yell that caught his attention. The golden haired woman looked familiar but her face was indiscernible through the encircled backs of men. The shade shifted uncomfortably in his chair. The men looked to and fro as passerby's did nothing to help. Within moments, all that remained was a crumpled corpse as her assailants.

Slowly Sutra stood and examined the scene from a distance as a small crowd formed around the looted figure.

"It's Moose from Razor Hills. She's been murdered!" yelled an onlooker. Moose was sheriff of Razor Hills. A jovial woman indeed. And here she lay murdered. She must have crossed a sinister crook or owed an unsettled debt he thought.

Her shires shard. She would have been the keeper of her shires shard.

Sutra recalled his memories and tried to remember the men responsible for this traitorous act.

Draeven.
Darktigger.
There was a third he didn't recognize.

Blood had been spilled here in the North now. He had heard rumor of Connor having sleighted many an officer for their shards as well. But this, this was the first murder of a Dreadmoor officer at the hand of a Southern figure. An ex monarch none the less!

Sutra's patience shattered.

His call to the darkness was quickly heard and within moments, a masked figure accepted the offer and made his way into the crowd following the scent of the murderous gypsy.

Word had reached him that the shard had been teleported back to the newly renamed DragonShire. The once proud Barony where mighty Eagles flew was no more. Rumor of a corrupting disease had taken hold of the place, but Sutra's mind to confirm this for himself had been made.

As the afternoon gave way to early evening, Sutra found himself face to face with Draeven and Darktigger. He would try to reason with them one last time.

"We can not defeat what ever it is we're fighting divided." demanded the flustered shade.
"With the shards, we can march into the other side of the portal and conquer what ever's on that side." Draeven proudly declared.
"What portal!?" Sutra questioned.
"The rift that opened in OUR lands, whatever is on the other side belongs to us, and all we have to do is claim it." chimmed in the delirious gypsy.
"Darktigger...Draeven, we can't defeat anyone or anything if we are not united! You should know this Draeven." Sutra eyed Darktigger suspiciously realizing reasoning with the previous monarch was out of the question. The gypsies madness was beyond curing.

The three men stammered and threw charismatic words around to no avail. Dragonshire had acquired Razor Hills' shard through the negotiation of cold steel and the spilling of blood.

Sutra was left standing alone to boil in his disappointed thoughts. Perhaps the rumors of the Green Dragons involvement in this new woe were indeed true. Sutra shook his head in denial. Surely Sir Forest could be reasoned with. The elder Paladin would rather die a martyr than see his beloved kingdom succumb to a traitorous demise.

The ride back home allowed the silent sin to mull many a thought over.

He had seen enemies take up arms, side by side, against any outside intruder. What was so different this time around. No source was found of their tormentor, no trace of allegiance to any company and yet two of the eldest tribes of the Hills sought to continue their eternal struggle against each other instead of pooling resources and confronting their common enemy.

The shards had strong majick he concluded. Majicks that stirred the lust of power and control in the hearts of men. Sutra produced the small shard from its leather sheath and studied it again.

He had felt glimpses of dark desires ever since it's possession. The shade had seen countless scenarios where he could gain control over the far flung pieces. His heart leapt at the touch of the cool glass between his fingers. Yet he was not mastered by it. He heard no whispers or voices emanating from it, guiding his hand to some dark and sinister plan.

Perhaps the return of The Great Mother had been a blessing in disguise. What if she knew that protecting those she could from it's dark influence would ensure in defeating this invisible enemy. Her voice of reason would be heard he muttered.

Sutra would take her message to every corner of the kingdom. The light of reason and self preservation would be seen and felt.

The shade leaned back as he gazed upon the countless stars wondering what his visit at 'Dragonshire' held.

Slumber found him wanting.

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:12 pm 

The semi-annual meeting of the dragonmaster and weaponmaster fair had gone fairly well. There are been issues, both on the field and off, but that was to be expected with such a diverse mix of peoples coming together in one place. Once again, the desire for the shards had reared it's ugly head and, unfortunately, Moose had payed the price. Oddly enough, Connor still remained untouched, even though he held more than his share of shards. At least, the one who had taken the shard was one who was "in the know" concerning the plan. If that one would go through with it when the time came was another matter. I still had some misgivings in that regard. With the holdings choosing sides, even my own "Five Dragons", I pondered how to bring such disparate groups to the same table. We had a common enemy, but the old grudges and divisions seemed to be too strong even in face of that threat. Maybe what was needed was more of a sign of unity from those who had not been around so long.

The short ride to House Singollo had gone fairly well, with the caravan to the south making a short trip to refresh themselves before their long trek began. Some others had gone on ahead, one of which was of more than passing interest to my plans. Duke Sutra had given me much to think about with our talk and his plans seemed to be in line with my long-term goals. With those plans on my mind, I chose to learn more about the history of things. I headed to the house library, where I kept a number of tomes from the Bardic college, and looked through those few books. One jumped out at me. Quenta Lainorieambos. Translated, it meant The History of the Elves of the Emerald Hills. I smiled as I considered how many words the common tongue used to convey the same information. I cracked open the book and began to read. Maybe something that had happened in the past would shed light on the current situation.

Lettusio-Rex, Dreadmoor Fey Jackalope
Member of the House of H.O.P.S.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:23 am 

The crowd gathered in the shire's courtyard during the early morning hours.

The Artus Pass banner fluttered in the chilly breeze. Beside it, the colors of Silver and Black with a lions head.

The muttering and shuffling of feet and an occasional cough broke the brief moments of silence.

Sutra stepped up on a chair and looked out to the assembled crowd.

"The search party has been formed. I will lead the group back into Hawks Shadow and we will find what remains of the Frost Giants and we will find the missing child." The gathered faces turned to gaze into the mist surrounding the forest line to the North of the shire. The woods were held with respect, providing both critical and dangerous resources that allowed Artus Pass to flourish.

The shade resumed, "Today, I speak to you as a citizen of the Emerald Hills. Not as the sheriff of Artus Pass. Not as a member of Sable Pride. As Sutra of the Emerald Hills." He could sense the tension and eagerness growing among the small populace.

"The king sits in the comfort of his castle and yet he nor his savants have been able to provide us with any worthwhile information as to the source of our newest enemy." Nods and murmurs answered him back.

"The wizards guild has been silent as to what little they have been able to decipher about the shards and many a respectable man has turned murderer for the sheer pleasure of obtaining the shards." Sutra leaned forward and examined every face that gazed up at him.

"The shires and baronies of our great kingdom are under the 'protection' of the Green Dragons. And in response, I presented our case to Sable Pride. And they responded." People began to shake their heads at his words.

"And they were not here for the defense of our shire. I was wrong to think that we could depend on any one company to offer aid and total protection. I was wrong to assume that we could do this alone." The shade shook his head in sincere regret.

Sutra looked back and reached up, pulling down the Black and Silver banner, carefully holding it in his hands, taking the moment in.

"The Green Dragons and Sable Pride will not protect us. They are just as confused and angry as we are." Many a face contorted in confusion at his bold statement.

"They do so because they are of flesh and blood like the you and I. I have fought alongside these men and women and in times of inner turmoil, against them. They are subjects of the motherland first. They are citizens of The Emerald Hills. Like I am. Like you are. Like we are." A wave of understating began to wash over the people.

"Artus Pass is Artus Pass. And you are who you are. Strong. Noble. Peaceful. And willing to bring down the walls of Hades itself if it meant saving our kingdom. We can only accomplish this daunting task together. As one. As a kingdom. Our divisions can only last for so long before they rend the motherland into unrecognizable fragments of her former glory."

The people listened intently and Sutra continued.

"Artus Pass will stand under our respected name, unique among all others in the lands of Emerald. And we pray that every shire and barony will take up their own sigil and colors and unite under the one banner that matters above all. Of the Gold, Blue, and Green of the Emerald Hills. Under the protection of the Eternal Phoenix."

Muttering slowly became talking.

"We have only ourselves to blame in this dark chapter of the kingdoms history. If we allow the corrupting power of greed to drive our ambition, we as a people, as a kingdom; are doomed beyond redemption. And we would truly be deserving of such a fate."

Talking became shouting.

"So I ask each and every single one of you to remember your oath to the Emerald Hills. To her protection. To upholding all for which she represents, her strength and weaknesses. This is the only home we have. Either we stand united as one and prevail or tumble into oblivion, one by one. Until all that remains are tales of the greatest kingdom that was."

Shouting turned into passionate yelling.

The sheriff gazed upon the Sable Pride banner and respectfully folded it, tucking it under his coat, next to his heart.

"I ask you Artus Pass, to ignite this zealous passion of the Emerald Hills in each and every single soul you cross wherever you may go. Remind them of the strength that unity brings. Remind them of the weakness division creates. Above all, remind them that they are children of the Emerald!"

The fervor was almost palpable, the chanting echoed across the Talren River and through the twin peaks of Norreh and Lusynda Points. Their voices carried into the deepest part of the Hawks Shadow forest.

Sutra knew the remaining Frost Giants could hear them. He wanted them to know that Artus Pass was not afraid. He wondered if the hidden Drow could feel the earth rumble today. They would soon be reminded about the tenacity the light-dwellers could inspire.

The overcast sky gave way to the brilliant sun rising from the east. Soon, it would light the path to their destiny.

Soon.

S
[con't]

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing