Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing

Post subject: A chance meeting?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:45 am 

I was walking back to my wagon one night after midreign. I was more than a bit confused as I was sober and wasn't use to walking in that state. I had been reading reports from scouts around the kingdom who were reporting more bad than good. I hoped the night air would clear my head, or I would run across someone to talk to about what had been happening with the hopes of finding some solution soon, before we were buried under a mountain of evil creatures. I found that I had wandered off the path and I had no idea of where I was. I kept walking, hoping to see some landmark that would guide me back to my wagon, when I came across a small tavern. I wasn't familiar with it, which was odd as I'd visited almost every tavern nearby and I hadn't been here. Either way, the light was welcoming and I knew if I just had a few more beers I could find my way home.

Once inside, I saw that there were a number of tapped kegs behind the small bar and a few clean tables scattered around the room. A nice fire crackled in the hearth giving off the welcoming light that had caught my eye.

“Come in, King. It's good to finally meet you in person.” said a figure, who stood up from the table where he was sitting when I came in. He executed a perfect bow before motioning to the chair at the table, waiting, as was proper, for the king to take a seat before doing so himself. I couldn't leave a man hanging, so I sat down and said “beer me.” in the direction of the bar.

Even though I could see pretty well in the dim light given off from the fire, I just couldn't seem to see the face of this gracious host. He was wearing a robe of fine silk, trimmed with a pattern that just screamed magic. His hood was pulled up, as if he felt a chill in the air, and it's shadows were what kept me from knowing his face. A mug of beer appeared on the table before me distracting me from this fellow. I grabbed it and drank like a man dying of thirst.

“Is the beer to your taste, my king?” The fellow asked, as if he were the one who owned the establishment. “It's my favorite. An open one.” I said with a laugh. “I've never been here. You just set up shop?” I asked.

“You could say that.” The figure replied, sipping from a fine crystal goblet which seemed to hold that most foul beverage, water. “I've been in the area for a few months. Mostly, though. I've been out and about in the country-side.”

“Have you been to the northern shires?” I asked, wondering if I had met this person before and he was trying to play some kind off trick on me.

“A time or two. I've seen the trouble that 'Five Dragons' has been having.” The fellow said. I couldn't see his lips but his voice let me know that he thought the idea of Five Banner's alliance with the green dragons was something off a joke. “I've heard of Riverstone's bold defense and of Red Storm's rising power. I've even walked the plains of Midnight rain and seen the carnage after the first attack of the undead there.”

At this, I started to get suspicious. He seemed to almost relish the thought of the trouble going on. The only hint of disgust was when he mentioned Red Storm and their growing power.

“I think I know who you might be.” I said, my hand wandering toward my sword. “Could you be the one responsible for all of this?”

“Hmmm. I could be. But, then again, this all did start when an upstart barbarian northerner stole the throne.” That last came out with so much venom that I leaped to my feet expecting an attack. The fellow only laughed at my reaction and motioned for me to sit.

“If I wanted you dead tonight, I could have made it happen when you were wandering through the trees like a babe lost in the dark.” The menace crept into the figures voice as the soft light, so welcoming earlier, began to take on a dangerous feel. I didn't sit back down again, instead I heading toward the door.

“My hospitality doesn't please you, mighty king?” The figure asked, sarcasm virtually dripping from the words. “Maybe you prefer being served half raw meat from a camp fire and warm beer in a tin cup? Do the trappings of civilization make you nervous?”

“The trappings of civilization fit me just fine, mage. It's the company that I dislike tonight. I'd rather drink piss with a demon than beer with someone like you.”

The figure just laughed. “Remember, barbarian KING, if I can get to you hear, then I can get at you anywhere. But I'd rather see your precious kingdom fall down around your ears first. It will make the final days all the sweeter.”

At the last, I had finally had enough. It was one thing to threaten me, but this one had been threatening the kingdom itself and did so again with his words. I charged, my sword drawn. My blade slashed down and bit into nothing but a stump. The tavern had vanished around me as I swung. As I looked around the dark clearing, I could hear the mocking laughter floating on the night breeze.

“Catch me if you can, barbarian king.” It said as it disappeared.

“It's definitely time for me to get some people together on this.” I said to the stump which I had brutally attacked. Then, I headed on toward my wagons.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing