Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing

Post subject: Foul weather
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:42 am 

Kenta lifted his face to the wind. The smell of snow and ice on the wind
"Good, this will slow them down, and give us more time to find the last altar"

Kenta had paid scant attention to the troubles of the previous reign. But his visons had shown him that they were related to the upcomming prophecy.

"Besides, finding and using it will make the Puppet King Sutra decidedly uncomfortable. I know that it is not a place of worship for the White, but the enemy of my enemy is my friend. It will at least give me some clues about how to bring down the Crimson King"

Post subject: Re: Foul weather
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:17 am 

Kneeling at the altar, he waited nervously. His mind paced back and forth, arguing about how to properly address his ignored Deus.

The pungent aroma of unnamed incense weighed heavy on the chilled air.

Glowing candles flickered in the occasional breeze that would mercifully break up the thick air once in a while. Grotesque shadows played on the already unattractive faces of crude idols.

Hidden among the gaps, others knelled or stood. Chanting in their native tongues to gods they had never seen or felt. He was not alone.

He knelled in front of a simple symbol.

It was not the oldest in this room of worship. It was not the newest cult inspired by those eager to throw the kingdom into chaos either.

Sutra wrung his hands again. It wasn't piety that drove him here. It was the reoccurring dreams he had been experiencing lately.

They all ended the same. A part of him pleaded for redemption. It always ended the same.

"Deus, if you're listening, I know I haven't...." his throat dried up, his mind wrestled emotions searching for the right words. He had learned the rituals when he was young, but he felt they had failed him.

"I know I haven't sought you out as I should have, but I...I need your guidance."

He remained motionless, the feeling of guilt effortlessly convoluted with a twinge of embarrassment.

If only mother could see this now, he mused to himself. He knew she could. She saw everything. She was with him...now. Always.

"I will make my trip to the west, to the Mourningwoods. It seems...the gods have set their faces against me. I have never paid heed to them. Never have I paid tribute to them. Perhaps it is out of anger or amusement that they wish to see this season pass in wintry desolation."

The shadow waited patiently, hoping for a sign or inner voice. The coughing of an old maid echoed through the sanctuary.

"If it is your will, I will travel there and meet your enemy. I will bring your voice to the wilderness. They will live as free men, unburdened by lies or misconceptions....as one day I will do as well."

A crying infant disturbed some of the old world patrons, some sending angry glares at the young couple who had sat at their preferred altar for more than an hour. They had almost completed the presentation and blessing of their new born, before the child had awoken hungry.

Sutra slowly stood as he steadied himself on the stone wall. Tugging at his cowl preparing to leave, the silent monarch overheard the slanderous murmurs of an usher.

Shaking his head, Sutra interrupted the angry mans scolding of the young mother, eager to soothe her child.

"They will leave when they are finished with their prayers. Do you understand?"

"And who do you think you..." the scowling face turned to rebuke the voice, when he realized the owner.

The gilded brim of the crown subtly peaked from underneath the sackcloth hood. The tale-tell Phoenix seemed to have an eerie glow to it.

"Your...your majesty...had I known....I w..."

"I know..."

Nodding approvingly, Sutra paid his respects to the new mother, as he caught a glimpse of the child.

The thought of what kind of kingdom the child would grow up in, was one of many countless concerns that had taken root in the dark ones spirit.

One of many questions he would try to answer.

----------------------------------------

The sun lurked behind the thick gray veil of clouds.

Horses shuffled along with riders on their backs. The weather was not the most inviting. So far, the path was more approachable than expected.

He wondered if the missive he had sent out almost a month ago had reached their destinations.

Had Sir Trinity, Sir Logan, Sir Forest, Sir Fytakin, Sir Martello, and all the other captains or voices of households received his call to allied arms.

It had been a month since he had last seen the prince regent, Nexus. He hadn't heard or seen from the duly appointed kingdom champion either. Lady Blaise had indeed been the recipient of many recent blessings. He was glad for her, and was eager to meet with her again. He had much to discuss with both the prince and champion.

Only time and weather permitting would tell whether he and his requests made it to his/their planned destination.

S
[con't]

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing