Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing

Post subject: A Shadow of the Past
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:50 pm 

“Where is the original ledger?” Fionnigan asked peering at the clerk who was assisting him from over the stacks of coins.
“Well there isn't exactly one ledger, m'lord.” replied the clerk
“How many times do I have to keep reminding you? I do not have any titles. I am not a lord, and so you do not have to address me as such.” Fionnigan said with a sigh.
“How then shall I address you? Father Hellblazer or Acolyte perhaps?” responded the clerk.
“No, no. I have not completed my training and am therefore not a full priest yet. That being the case it would disrespectful and wrong to address me as such. You can always call me by my name, Fionnigan or Master Hellblazer. If those are too informal for our interactions, prime minister will suffice.” responded Fionnigan.
“Excellent, prime minister. As I was saying, there is no single ledger. Each prime minister before you has kept a personal account of the baronial coffers and as such there have been many different ledgers over the years.” replied the clerk.
“So there are multiple ledgers that all together should lead up to and equal the most recent ledger? This is what you're telling me?” Fionnigan confirmed whiled rubbing the bridge of his nose.
“Yes, well up to a point. The ledgers are only kept for ten marching seasons then they're sent to the royal archives in the Emerald City.” replied the clerk matter of factly.
“Well that practice ends now. I want a new ledger collected which combines all the ledgers for these last ten marching seasons and I want another made that will be used starting this next marching and will be used for the next ten. There will be one and only one ledger for this barony. Now if there isn't anything else I need to attend to my prayers and my healing studies. So please collect the coffers, place them back in the chest, and return to the great hall.” said Fionnigan.
“Yes, prime minister.” replied the clerk and he began collecting the stacks of coins and placing them in sacks to be placed back in the wooden and iron chest sitting next to Fionnigan's desk.
As the clerk was putting the coffers back in the chest a knock came from the door to Fionnigan's rectory office.
“Who is it?” inquired Fionnigan.
“Sister Victoria, Brother Hellblazer.” a voice said from the other side of the door.
“Come in, sister.” responded Fionnigan
The door to Fionnigan's office opened and in walked an elderly woman of slightly over five feet wearing the traditional robes and mantle of a Phoenician nun. She gracefully entered and closed the large ironwood door behind her.
“Brother, Squire Uziel is here to see you. He didn't say what about, but he did seem rather agitated” Sister Victoria said in a calm and pleasant voice.
“Thank you, sister. Send him in. My business with the royal clerk is concluded today.” Fionnigan stated.

I do not suffer fools gladly, and fools with white belts never.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post subject: Re: A Shadow of the Past
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:20 pm 

Sister Victoria and the clerk left the room, and fifteen seconds later Fionnigan's company brother and old comrade in arms TuK! Uziel came striding into the room. He was wearing a dour countenance and seemed lost in thought even as he walked into the office.
“Hello, brother. Have a seat.” Fionnigan said.
TuK! sat in the high back chair directly in front of Fionnigan's desk still staring distractedly into space. Once seated his gaze fell on Fionnigan, and the healer saw clearly his old friend was quite shaken. What could have caused this state?
“What's wrong, brother? You look shaken.” Fionnigan said.
“You remember that last mission Gryphon's Rage had?” TuK! Asked.
“If you're referring to the one that caused you to walk away from the company, and the subsequent ripping apart of everything we had fought for yes I remember it quite clearly. Why?” Fionnigan replied coldly.
“Well do you remember what we found during that mission?” TuK! snapped back.
Fionnigan's expression changed from one of casual annoyance at his friend's vagueness to the look of a man whose throat had just been slit in the middle of speaking. His face completely lost its color and he felt himself get slightly light headed.
“You mean the Wizard's Glass. You're talking about the gods damned wizard's glass.” Fionnigan stammered.
“Yes I am. Where is it?” TuK! asked.
“Why?” Fionnigan responded.
“What do you mean why?” TuK! said honestly shocked by his friend's response.
“Well the damn thing is basically what caused the old company to fail. None of us who ever had any contact with it have ever been okay since, and the only time I ever used it for scrying I swear I was tapping directly into the infernal planes. So that being the case I and one other person know the location of the thing, and I am hesitant to let anyone else know where it is.” replied Fionnigan.
“Well some people are going to be coming for it, and we have to make sure they don't get to it. You up to that?” TuK! asked.
“Do I have a choice?” Fionnigan responded dryly.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:18 pm 

Journal of Fionnigan Hellblazer
EP 34, Harvest 69
Had a visit from TuK! today. He was visibly shaken and raving about The Wizard's Glass. He said we had to get the damned thing to somewhere safe because some unnamed party was coming for it. He wasn’t very forthcoming as to who these people are, but his visibly shaken state rendered those concerns moot.
During the last Celestial Wars Gryphon's Rage was formed as a specialized raiding unit. The unit was an experiment that became known as air cavalry. The shire of my birth Gryphon’s Haven was so named because it was formed in a valley near the nesting roosts of an ancient line of gryphons. When my fathers ancestors found the valley they formed a partnership with the gryphons based on mutual protection. The gryphons would pair with a male child of the shire on their thirteenth name day. From that day on the gryphon would bare their rider as a team dedicated to the protection of the valley. That was the way of Gryphon’s Haven until the fall of the shire in the Harvest of EP12. After the village fell many of us travelled the lands of Amtgardia for years. My friend Thrann came to The Emerald Hills, and after some time was approached by TuK! Uziel who was putting together a specialized skirmish unit for the Emerald Army.
TuK! thought a unit of men riding gryphons into battle was a damn fine idea, and recruited Thrann to help him build an airborne cavalry unit. Thrann reached out to me in the midst of my travels in Nippon, and at the request of my old friend I returned to Amtgardia and The Emerald Hills. For the last of The Celestial Wars the three of us with seven other brave souls defended The Emerald Crown and brought death from above on our enemies.
It was during the last engagement that our company was a part of that everything went wrong. We were sent to seek out an ultimate weapon to destroy the dragons that were at the center of that final Celestial War. The object was a relic from another realm called The Wizard's Glass. It was a focus and an amulet in one relic. The rumors of its existence had reached the Emerald Forces commanders and we were sent to recover it. We found it, and we paid for it.
That last mission was the death of Gryphon's Rage, and the end of an era. After we won the war we each went our separate ways. I stole the Wizard's Glass and went into hiding for a number of years. I took the damned thing to keep it out of the wrong hands and to study it. But the one time I used it I know that I made contact with the infernal realms. It needs to be destroyed. I know what I have to do.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:15 pm 

Fionnigan stood in front of the congregation in his black and silver vestments with his red healer's stole draped over both shoulders and his hands folded on his chest. Fionnigan stood with his back to the congregation facing the alter and the sacramental goblet and anointing oil in the old fashion of performing mass.
“Opere et omissione.” Fionnigan beat his chest lightly with his hands. “Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.” After every mea culpa Fionnigan repeated the act.
Fionnigan continued, “Ideo precor beatam Phoenicia semper alba.” Fionnigan continued through the remainder of the Confiteor and all of it’s somatic rites. Fionnigan concluded the ritual and began the reading of the gospel triumvirate.

The mass continued as any other until the taking of the sacrament and the anointing. As he gave out the sacrament of flame to the congregation he came face to face with the imperial Arch-Heirophant.

“Benedicto ignis.” Fionnigan repeated the words of the blessing raising the sacramental goblet to the arch-heirophant's waiting hands. Hands that spoke of a rough monastic life.

“Phoenicia benidictus.” replied the arch-heirophant as he made the sign of the phoenix over his heart. “I need to speak to you when you’re finished.”
“What could this be about?” Fionnigan wondered as he gave the sign of the phoenix to the next parishioner and continued with the sacramental rite.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:26 pm 

Fionnigan closed the door to his office as the Arch-Heirophant sat in the armchair in front of his desk. Fionnigan made his way to his desk and sat down. As he took his seat the Arch-Heirophant produced a pipe from his red robes and packed it with tobacco.
“Do you always perform the mass in the first tongue?” the Arch-Heirophant enquired striking a match and setting it to the pipe's load.

“It was how I was taught.” Fionnigan replied.

“It belies your kingdom of birth. You are a Gilderman aren’t you?” The Arch-Heirophant asked.

“Yes I was born and spent my childhood in the Golden Plains. I though received most of my clerical training from The Little Sisters.” Said Fonnigan.

“Ah yes The Little Sisters of the Eternal Flame. They are one of the Bene Gesserit sisterhoods. They practice one of the oldest Rites of Fire dating back to the First Men in the Burning Desert. That also explains your back to your congregation. The First Men Acolytes would have sung the prayers from behind a large choir screen to a congregation who was only allowed to listen.” The Arch-Heirophant stated rather flatly.

“Is this why you’ve traveled all the way from the Emerald Temple to my parish, your holiness, to discuss ecumenical history?” Fionnigan prodded carefully.

“No that is not the reason for my visit, Celebrant.” The last word being said with a slight authoritarian tone. “There have been some rather unsettling rumors surrounding you of late, Brother Hellblazer. The Grand Heirophant himself sent me to inquire on these rumors.”

“Oh I love rumors.” Fionnigan chuckled “What have you heard, Arch-Heirophant? Have you heard I have congress with a succubus in the Tanglewood Forest? Or how about the rumor that says I am recruiting for the Infernal Order of the Dark Phoenix? Or perhaps you heard the one where I have a treasure horde hidden on my former estate?”

“I hardly feel you’re in any position to be flippant about what is being said about you, Celebrant.” The Arch-Heirophant snapped back.

“What stock should I give these ridiculous claims?” Fionnigan replied.

“These claims though are being said about a priest who received his training from a secretive and divisive order of nuns known most infamously for breeding rites, and it’s common knowledge you consort with known demons. Why you are in a fighting company with one aren't you? My point being if these are widely known facts about you the rumors don’t seem quite so off base.” Replied The Arch-Heirophant.

“So you’ve come to question me about them?” Fionnigan asked.

“No the inquiry will do that.” Replied the Arch-Heirophant.

“Inquiry?” Fionnigan responded.

“Yes, Celebrant, a tribunal will be convened to investigate these claims. In the meantime the church has decided it would be best for you to step away from your duties as prime minister for the shire.” Stated the Arch-Heirophant. “In order to give you time to focus on your defense of course.”

“If that is the church's wishes I will obey.” Replied Fionnigan.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:09 pm 

"What's this shite than?" the small man demanded holding the leather purse.
A masked man dressed in all black clothing and light black leather armor stood to the left of a demoness dressed in silver and black finery who was sitting at one end of a great ironwood table of some length. The masked man drew his dagger and stepped forward looking through the shorter man. The demoness held her hand up palm facing in and closed her hand to a fist and the man stepped back and sheathed his bone handle dagger.
"Would you like to repeat that in a more civilized tone or would you like to be tongueless?" replied Etharis as she stared with one eyebrow cocked at the petulant assassin.
"I mean, m'lady, this seems a bit light is all." the short man stammered.
"That was the contract price. What is the misunderstanding here?"  replied Etharis flatly still staring over the bridge of her nose at the man.
"Well it's just that the hit was harder to get completed than I was led to believe by this price." The short man said.
"The marks are priced according to a system of various factors. You can have your guild contract prices or you can have your guild contracts cut and you can pick for the scraps with the independent guilds and see how long before you're rotting in a crow's cage. Now are we finished here?" Asked Etharis.
"Yes, m'lady." replied the small assassin.
The assassin turned toward the door and passed Fionnigan. He leered aggressively at the priest as he passed and Fionnigan gave a slight nod. He always loved coming to the guid chapterhouse. He had been a support level member for years, and he had been in this very meeting room many times since the days when the Shadow That Walked led the Guild of Shadows. These days the guild was still being run by his family, specifically his sister Etharis.
"Who was the angry dwarf?" Fionnigan asked as he approached his sister in arms.
"Just some low level knife. He's a nothing but he thinks he's got the world on a string. So what happened with your position as Eagleshire's prime minister?"
"Well my adored sister..." Fionnigan began but was cut short by Etharis.
"Don't give me that devil's tongue flattery bullshit, just tell me what's happening." Replied the demoness.
"The Imperial Arch-Heirophant believes the position would take my focus away from my defense. You see I'm to be the subject of a church tribunal in the coming months. Something about the rumors surrounding my return to Eagleshire or some nonsense." Fionnigan stated wryly.
"You seem unconcerned." Etharis stated.
"Just the whispers of busy bodies, gossip mongors, and storytellers. Why should I be concerned?" Asked Fionnigan leaning back in his chair tp stretch.
"Well you could be excommunicated for starters." Replied Etharis.
"The church doesn't own the fight against chaos, my dear sister. If I am to leave the church so be it. I'll fight for the white in my own way." Fionnigan said.

Mortem proditoribus.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing