Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Announcements » Archives

Post subject: Under 14s
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:56 pm 

There has been some discussion on other forums about the ability of children under the age of 14 being allowed to participate in combat in our parks. I would like to go on record stating that I have not given any child under the age of 14 permission to participate in Amtgard combat during my reign. Here is the place in the Amtgard rules of play where you can find the passage where it says who can play. It's on page 2:

Quote:
Getting Started
Introduction
Note: ‘His/he/him’ is used exclusively in this publication as convention and for
simplicity only. All aspects of Amtgard are open to both males and females.
Amtgard is a not-for-profit, free, non-sectarian group dedicated to the recreation of
medieval and fantasy genres. Amtgard has a vast array of new experiences to offer
the interested adventurer, from making clothing appropriate to a certain time period,
to wielding a foam-padded replica of an ancient weapon on the field of battle. The
recreation of medieval and fantasy combat is the core of Amtgard and the main
concern of this tome. The rules set forth herein are as detailed and complete as
possible, but not all situations can be covered. Common sense and fair play should be
used to resolve any problems. Anyone may join Amtgard by:
1) Obtaining a copy of this rulebook and reading it.
2) Developing a persona and a persona history.
3) Making a costume for yourself that is fitting to your persona.
4) Filling out a membership form and waiver and turning them in
to the Prime Minister. Minors must have their waivers signed by their
parents or legal guardians. Minors under the age of 14 may not participate
in combat without special permission from the Monarch

I have not nor will I give any special permission for under 14s to participate in combat during my reign. In my opinion Amtgard is not a game for children. It is a adult game/sport. On the forums in a discussion about a bow, Crimson Witch of MWG wrote:

Actually, I wasn't even in office then but then again I haven't seen you bring that bow out to our park since that fateful day. Perhaps you forgot the bloody nose you gave Sir Gavvin and the Huge bruises you left on several others. If your bow and arrows were legal they shouldn't have left marks.

She is a supporter of allowing under 14 players on the field of combat. Even in her own words she stated that a weapon on the field left huge bruises and caused a bloody nose. Whether that weapon was legal or not it was on the field and caused bodily injury to a player that was over 14. Unfortunately, that wasn't the first time nor will it be the last time. I, myself, had my finger broken at Rakis in Colorado in 2004 in a ditch. I've known other fighters to have broken noses, broken fingers, broken legs, and other lacerations. These were all accidents caused during Amtgard combat. Accidents happen.

Therefore, I have deemed it too dangerous for under 14s to be allowed to participate in combat. I will not give permission to anyone this reign and expressly prohibit their participation in combat.

Any park allowing under 14s to participate in combat is in violation of the rulebook and thus, by extension, in violation of the terms of its contract with the Kingdom of the Emerald Hills. Said violation may result in termination of the park's contract.

Any questions or concerns please email me privately at monarch@amtgard-eh.com.

Kaiser Sir Morgan Ironwolf

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Announcements » Archives