Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Announcements » Archives

Post subject: (Amtgard 7.7) Rules FAQs
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:19 pm 

WBW has shown us that there is still some confusion with our newest rule book. Not surprising with the length of time that many of us played under the last sets.

Thought it would helpful if we could open some discussion on a few of the rules that seem to be giving people some problems.

Flamewall --- no component is needed now, and the strip for the wall is GREEN.

Teleport --- is no longer an enchantment and therefore can be cast on bar-bars. The caster chooses location; the player walks straight to said location and must state arriving five times (while standing still). The player may be seen as soon as they start saying arriving but may not be affected until the final chant.

Teleporting bar-bars is a nasty tactic that is hard to counter. Remember fireball and call lightning no longer stop bar-bar FAD so you have limited options. Healer stun, Sphere, Assassin trap and Scout earth bind are among the few.

Assassinate is a nifty new ability that severs a victim. To use it the assassin simply kills a foe and states assassinate.

There are many more pro magic enchantments available on the field now.

Pro flame now allows the wielder of heated weapons to use them

Feel free to add or discuss

Sir Sparhawk Kingfisher

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:16 pm 

I've been meaning to reply to this for a while. These are all things that people need to be aware of. I still catch myself starting to cast stun and the old incantation comes out. Here are a few more changes that have come about in the new rules:

Shot in motion, while previously practiced in several kingdoms was not in ours and had an impact on the way many of us fight.

Multi-shot siege weapons are now only red.

Warriors can now wear 7 points of armor. In addition to this, there are now positive modifiers to armor instead of just negative ones. As a result, more armor on the field. Warriors also get 2 improved shields/game instead of just one.

Immunities have changed for all classes that had them, especially Paladin and AP. The 3rd level immunities for Monk have also changed drastically. Also for Monks, the cruise missile is back, but we have sacrificed maneuverability in Sanctuary and the ability to charge Touch of Death on every life.

Fight after Death can now only be stopped by Sphere of Annihilation or Single-Shot siege weapons (and stun), much to the joy of Barbars everywhere.

Many incantations for many spells have changed.

Bards get Hold Person at 1st level, drastically increasing their power at low levels. Dance allows them to cast any other Bard spell while moving and Warskill gives them more points to spend on these spells.

Reanimate has totaly changed. This, like confusion, may force the player to attack their own teams. It also falls under the new rule for magic that dead are always considered willing which overrules the new enchantment rule that enchantments may only be placed on willing targets.

The double fireball is still possible, but a lot more expensive to cast. Now, if someone has actually spent the points to double fireball me, they have earned the kill in my opinion.

Gabriel

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:04 am 

And while Extension is now a per life spell, it is used up the instant you say "Extension" even if you do not finish the spell you were extending.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:26 pm 

We've been fortunate at Artus Pass to start wanting to really get as much of the shady areas (outlined in the rulebook or not) cleared up and what not at such an early stage.

Our desire, besides wanting to know the right rules off the bat, is to get our members educated to the degree that we'll be knowledgeable enough to clear up questions/debates quickly - allowing for smoother and enjoyable park days.

So with this said, I'll post some of the things we've run into where we've scratched our noggins and scoured the rulebook or used a life line and phoned a dependable source. Please don't hesitate to share any questions/comments/clarifications/citations as well!

S

--------------

Q. Does a lighting bolt kill a player if it strikes a players garb but not the player?
-Only if it would have carried through to hit the person, and a player can't use their garb to intentionally block with. This is of course excluding a scenario where said garb is enchanted with a pro-flame/magic, etc.

Q. Does an arrow shaft glance/strike on a person or equipment count as a hit.
-The rulebook only states that any portion of a throwing weapon that strikes true is considered a hit, so No.

Q. Can a Bard using Presence throw them self in front of an arrow targeting a different person?
-I don't have a ruling on this yet, and I know the tactical advantage of having X person with X protect spell using them self as meat shield. So let's hear what ya'll got!

Q. In a Ring the Bell scenario, does touching the base and getting struck all within a half second count the same as a shot in motion i.e. the player dies but still gets the point?

----------------

I know we've got a couple more and invite fellow peers to add to the list. I'll cite rulebook rulings in the next post. I just wanted to get this rolling.

Thanks all for your input!
S

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:00 pm 

one of ours was : Does 'wounding' work on a person with armor and how?
yes ..it acts like 'mist' and still gets that arm or leg. Not in the ROP but Forest cleared it up for us.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:04 am 

Per Sir Forest* on the EH YGroup. Thanks again sir!

------------------

Q. Does a lighting bolt kill a player if it strikes a players garb but not the player?
-Only if it would have carried through to hit the person, and a player can't use their garb to intentionally block with. This is of course excluding a scenario where said garb is enchanted with a pro-flame/magic, etc.

*Correct. However, if there is any doubt whether or not the garb blocked a valid hit, err on the side of caution and take the hit.

Q. Does an arrow shaft glance/strike on a person or equipment count as a hit.
*Arrows are not throwing weapons, but ammunition. Arrows only count if they hit with the padded head.

Q. Can a Bard using Presence throw them self in front of an arrow targeting a different person?
*He can, but the hit is still valid. The spell simply says "Due to respect and awe for the position, all Barbarians will not attack the caster during a life in which Presence is used. Also, due to professional respect, Druids and Monks of lower level than the caster will not attack the caster."

It does not say they are immune to battlefield effects. So if they purposefully step in front of an attack that was targeting a different player, they are subject to the effects of that attack.

Q. In a Ring the Bell scenario, does touching the base and getting struck all within a half second count the same as a shot in motion i.e. the player dies but still gets the point?
-*This is up to the reeve. In a combat situation, the SIM rules apply. But for purposes of determining an in game achievement, the reeve may determine if SIM applies. (i.e. The reeve may declare that you must be alive to score, thus any killing blow would negate the score even if you hit the "bell" within 1/2 second.)

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:42 am 

Awe/Fear
Q: You are casting a spell/enchantment on a teammate. Mid cast someone says you are "in awe". They then proceed to approach you. Do you finish the cast and then move 20ft away?

Scenario 1: You and your teammate did not hear them cast the spell at all.
Scenario 2: You clearly hear them and know they are in range for the spell to land.
Scenario 3: A Paladin cast the spell but had sword and board in hand and was engaged in battle when they cast the spell.

(Basically is awe/fear supposed to be a 300 count permanent shove that interrupts casting. )

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:02 am 

If they cast awe/fear on you (assuming you are not immune) and approach within 20' you must move away. You may not finish the spell first.

from pg 40 "E: Target may not attack or cast magic at the caster and must remain at least 20 ft away from the caster at all times for a 300 count."

Scenario 1: If you didn't hear it, ask a reeve. If there is no reeve, go with the assumption that the players are beign honest about spells cast / abilities used and react accordingly.

Scenario 2: Get yer butt moving away from them now! :)

Scenario 3: A Paladin's Awe/Fear is a magical ability. Magical Abilities do not require a free hand (p. 58). However, the paladin must stand still (i.e. no moving the feet while using the ability). So if he was fighting, but was not moving his feet, then you are in awe my friend. :)

Puppet Master of the EH

Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:51 pm 

ok some issues about berserking barbarians. I just read through the resurrect spell and looked at the barbarian berserk abilities and when resurrected they would still be berserk, and the fight after death is only when berserk. so when a barbarian is resurrected he is still berserk and can still use fight after death right? had someone trying to tell me that it didn't work that way.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:44 pm 

I've a question concerning the wizard side of the house... Back in the day, I don't know how many rule sets have passed in the last 9 years, Wiz had Lich. I see it was removed from the spell list as is Reincarnate, etc. The DUA 8.1 (gotten from the EH library page) references those very spells still on page 8.

"Examples of Summoning Magic are Transform, Reincarnate, and Lich. As per the
rules of play, Summoning Magic must appear on the Magic List for a player’s class, and the player must be of appropriate level to choose that Magic."

What gives with this? Is it still possible for spell slingers to summon/transform interesting body guards or has that gone the way of the dodo? I'd love to be able to Lich again... it was very interesting.

Mage-at-Arms to Sir Alby Kzan
Brewer of Laughing Fox

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:08 pm 

vamp1387 wrote:
ok some issues about berserking barbarians. I just read through the resurrect spell and looked at the barbarian berserk abilities and when resurrected they would still be berserk, and the fight after death is only when berserk. so when a barbarian is resurrected he is still berserk and can still use fight after death right? had someone trying to tell me that it didn't work that way.

There was some confusion on this because there were 2 proposals being looked at for the CoM to vote on back in July. The version that got approved is the way you stated. F.A.D. is still tied to Berserk. Berserk can now be activated on any life. The other proposal made F.A.D. a per game ability and would have prevented res from working to allow you extra F.A.D. usage.

Puppet Master of the EH

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:59 pm 

Assassinate is a nifty new ability that severs a victim. To use it the assassin simply kills a foe and states assassinate.

I'm not sure about it being new... but here's a question that I've been pondering over for a while.

Assassinate, non-magical Sever Spirit ability activated by killing a player and simply stating "Assassinate". Sever Spirit, say that the player may not be raised from the dead by any manner. Here's the question: How does Assassinate affect Fight After Death?

FAD says that it takes effect right after the player dies. Saying that the player dies, wouldn't Assassinate stop the player from returning to take his or her last 10 seconds of vengeance upon the world?

Spoiler! :
Familiarity, the first myth of reality: What you know the best, you observe the least.
Devotion, the second myth of reality: The faithful are most hurt by the objects of their faith.
Conviction, the third myth of reality: Only those who seek the truth can be deceived.
Fellowship, the fourth myth of reality: As the tides of war shift, so do loyalties.
Trust, the fifth myth of reality: Every truth holds the seed of betrayal.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:17 am 

I agree, Assassinate, or the Sever Spirit spell, have no impact on F.A.D. All that would happen is that it would prevent the barbar from being able to be rezzed after the F.A.D. was over.

Puppet Master of the EH

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:02 pm 

so the section under red weapon that states:

"...In all cases where a one-handed weapon is red, the weapon or the
user must have a red strip to indicate the effect. "

does this mean any Single handed weapon, ie 2.5 inches of foam, can be red as long as their is a red strip tied to it??

Kyto Nichiro "Cheeto" is the name.
Enjoy fighting all day a living the ache the next day.
He who talks to a ring.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:43 am 

No, that is there to cover instances of one handed weapons gaining the property "red," like the berserk ability, or the flameblade enchantment.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Announcements » Archives