Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Announcements » Archives

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:43 pm 

To all of our high officer candidates below is the link to the Statecraft Questionnaire. Please respond to them no later than November 3rd, 2017.

Click Here To Answer Statecraft Questions

"The only thing that is not an accident is my name."

Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:42 am 

Here are the answers to the statecraft questions.

Panek Auid Changeling

There have been a lot of changes in the past couple years (quals, vectored judging, open source judging, new park contracts, etc.) Which ones stand out as either a big improvement, or in need of being reworked?
Quals are confussing

What do you see as your biggest road block to being successful in the upcoming reign? What can you do to help reduce its impact?
Study to improve myself

Should Amtgard titles mean something more than they do today and would you take steps to do something about that?
No, but they should be known

Elder

There have been a lot of changes in the past couple years (quals, vectored judging, open source judging, new park contracts, etc.) Which ones stand out as either a big improvement, or in need of being reworked?
Vectored Judging was a huge improvement. The ability to easily explain how to break down scoring into several different parts that you judge separately was a real breakthrough.

What do you see as your biggest road block to being successful in the upcoming reign? What can you do to help reduce its impact?
Not being able to travel extensively. I am planning a kingdom wide magic item store that would encourage their use at local parks even outside of kingdom visits. I plan on using the forums and Facebook to communicate with the other officers and the Park Champions to implement and manage these ideas from a distance.

Should Amtgard titles mean something more than they do today and would you take steps to do something about that?
I definitely think that Masterhoods should matter more than they do now. I like the new reserved symbols for them, and I would encourage making the Masterhood bestowing ceremony as involved as knighting ceremonies complete with gifting lines. Also, perhaps encouraging the Monarch, Regent, and Champion to meet with the Circles of Masters to discuss upcoming issues relevant to the order to foster an ongoing recognition of the Masterhoods' importance.

KaL ThraX

I really like the direction all of these things are taking us. I think we needed improvements to the way things were done. The old qual system was dated and didn't fit with the scheme of things, the new judging system makes things smoother and more fair, it seems. As far as the new contacts go, i think its a much needed step for Amtgard to protect it self. Things seem to be heading the right direction, as far as being reworked, i think time will tell, they seem to be doing ok right now.

My experience with Amtgard and high offices. I dont see this as an issue, as i have surrounded myself with people who can help and give insight. I have also asked a lot of questions and tried to gain as much knowledge as i could. The last time i ran for monarch, i was asked what experience i bring, and that answer is still valid today. I still have a large knowledge base doing this type of thing either professionally or with other organizations, that are different but similar to what we are doing here. I think i will over come my road blocks and be successful.

This is something i have thought about for a while now, and I think titles are something people should strive for and want to earn them. I say earn them because they should be earned for good work and service, and people should be proud to have them. They shouldn't be expected and i would love to cultivate the kingdom and build a culture where people want to do good things and help build each other up and earn titles, and feel like they have accomplished something and feel proud and make others proud.

Mortyn

"I believe that the new hydra system is a significant improvement on the old system. When I joined Amtgard I was very confused as to the rationale for making an administrator, a battlegame designer, a record keeper, etc sing or make artwork to qualify for office. The best argument I have heard in favor of it is that it required focused effort for an extended period of time which correlates to the effort that would be supplied in office. I see no reason why the effort to earn the hydra on the new system is less than that; moreover it shows effort directly related to the burdens that an officer will be required to bear – Organizing events, judging tournaments, reeving games, and being generally familiar with the rules of the kingdom. I understand there is still some disagreement about this, but I believe that with time the benefits in leadership will be made apparent."

My biggest hurdle as KGMR will be getting the reeves test to everyone in the most fair and effective way for them and for the kingdom. I have a bank of questions that I have generated from the RoP, and am currently debating between which to include in which versions of the test. Optimization of exams for teaching purposes & evaluation is a difficult task as any professor can tell you.

"This is a difficult question to answer in a short form, but to attempt: Yes, culturally. I believe that the role-play aspect of our game can benefit from titles, belt lines, quests, etc. This is achieved both via the goal-oriented gamification aspects that titles can bring (which I would be happy to talk about at length if desired) as well as giving role playing positions (milord, they’re at the castle gates!, the order of precedence, etc). If applied well, I feel it could help to add significant value to the kingdom. As KGMR, there is very little I would be able to directly do, however I encourage roleplay wherever possible and intend to participate much more actively in the future to foster the environment."

Tyrle de Felis

The quals system is in need of being reworked. I double qualled specifically to make a point. While doing so I found the process of the new system to be too subjective. The old system may have had less to do with the actual qualifications of a candidate, but it was also less in the control of one person. Elections should never be in the control of one person. Should I win this is one adjustment I wish to specifically promote, to lay clearer guidelines of what is sufficient and how the appeals process should actually work.

I don't really see any. My previous experience in office involved shadowing in BOD meetings, later being on the board myself, being part of the process of seeing an individual banned for persistent COC violations, flooding and last minute relocation of an event, the loss of a beloved knight in our kingdom, experimenting with changing systems and a wide range of other excitements, while being in the midst of considerable personal turmoil. I am significantly more experienced than I was then and more stable personally and financially.

I think they should not be rewarded unless earned. As far as them meaning more, I do find a bit of pomp adds to the role play side of the game. A girl does enjoy a bit of role play now and again to keep things lively.

Alphonse de Oso

As an active A&S competitor I've found the Vectored Judging system to be a strong step in the right direction. Though opinion and perspective will always play a role, the VJS better allows for a more holistic judging experience for all players involved. Because of the system, we now have a better model with which to train new judges, thereby establishing continuity from competition to competition through common practice. For the competitor, the VJS creates better feedback by offering targeting scoring, which will enable the artist to further their own improvement based on that scoring.

As our community moves forward, and we continually assess the need to change our approach to a variety of situations, we will always be confronted with tradition and past decision. Though stability and a strong foundation are hallmarks of our great kingdom, we must have the courage to experiment and test the waters beyond, even if the intial reactions are that of discomfort. We cannot allow ourselves, as a kingdom, to become a relic of glory like those before, but instead strive for a better, brighter, more incluive Emerald Hills.

This relates strongly to the discussion of, "Is Amtgard a LARP or a Combat Sport." There are elements of our community that have opinions in either direction, each camp with plenty of well thoughout reasoning and fervent motivation; but to that is irrelevent to a discussion about what Amtgard "is". Simply put, Amtgard is what we make of it; and as such Titles, Awards, Knighthood, and anything of that stripe only has as much meaning as we the community grant it. If it ones opinion that titles should hold some greater meaning, then treat it as such. Marvel at the Viscount, pay heed to a Duchess, plant a dagger in a Baronet; these titles are what we make of them. As the Notorious Captain of the Order of the Ass, named Winkler, marked as Masked and Jovius, I revel in the experiences that have named me such; they are apart of My Amtgard. It's up to each player to decide how much such things mean to them, but that is not for the monarchy to decide.

"The only thing that is not an accident is my name."

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Announcements » Archives