Dragon Master XL will be held in conjunction with the Kingdom Mid Reign of His Majesty King Bjorn Burs BanHammer the Frost Crowned on Saturday March 25, 2017
Boggy Depot State Park, Atoka, Oklahoma
Sign in will be at 10:00 with the tournament beginning at 11:00.
At the time of sign in all entries will be placed in a holding area where they will sit until it is time for you to be judged (with the exception of cooking entries). There will be a person at the holding area for the duration to ensure items leave with the correct people.
All Items will be presented to the judges and there will be no anonymity.
You will be given a time slot when you sign in and will be expected to present your item(s) to the judges at your time given. For every item you enter you will be given 3 minutes, if necessary. The first minute will be used to present the item, and the following 2 minutes will be used for the judges to ask any questions they might have about the item. After you have presented all of your items the judges will then have time (length depends on the number of items entered) to deliberate the items and to produce scores. During this time, feedback of your items will be noted and the contestant will receive a copy of all of the judges comments. Performance pieces will be given more time based on the length of the piece.
If you are unable to attend the event and still wish to enter, you may appoint somebody to present for you (this could even include them just reading off a typed write up that you have written).
Categories and rules:
CATEGORIES (This is pretty standard, no surprises here)
There could be up to 6 judges and entrants will need to provide enough of each entry for all of them to taste. Be prepared to have a way to maintain your own dish until it can be judged (hot/cold). Bring plates, cups and utensils if they will be needed to judge your entry.
• Appetizer: A dish intended to be served as an appetizer.
• Main: Course: A dish intended to be served as a main course.
• Dessert: A dish intended to be served as a dessert.
• Other: A dish or drink that does not fit into any other category.
*Crafted: Home brewed, fermented, or otherwise crafted alcoholic beverages fall into this category.
*Mixed: Not home brewed, but utilizing a specific recipe. If the recipe is original to you, please note such details in your presentation.
Please include 6 copies of all writing entries.
• Factual: Writing that presents factual information such as a process, event or research of some kind. Examples would be weaponsmithing instructions, a recounting of an Amtgard event or a history of the Mongols. When presenting researched information, it is a good idea to cite references and give credit.
• Fictional: Writing that is not intended to be factual such as persona histories and stories.
• Poetry: Poetic verse.
• Publications: Published works such as newsletters, books, collections of articles, etc. These entries are judged on the editorial content only, such as presentation, suitability of the collection, format, etc. It is not necessary that the entrant have written every article. However, articles should never be published without the author's consent and credit should be given. Any work not done by the entrant should be noted.
• Singing: A vocal presentation with some expectation of rhythm and pitch.
• Oratory: A vocal presentation with no expectation of rhythm or pitch; i.e. Storytelling, jokes and theatrical pieces.
• Instrumental: A musical presentation performed on an instrument with some expectation of rhythm and pitch.
• Dance: A presentation of bodily movement with some expectation of rhythm.
• 2-D Art: Art intended to be viewed from only one side such as drawings, paintings, stained glass, relief carving, computer graphics, etc.
• 3-D Art: Art intended to be viewed from at least 3 sides such as sculptures, painted miniatures, stuffed animals, blown glass, etc.
People often enter things into this category that would do better in Passive Construction. 3-D art is judged primarily on artistic presentation; Passive Construction is judged primarily on construction. A stained glass box would go into either 3-D Art of Passive Construction depending on what the entrant wanted to focus.
• Fighting: A major item of garb intended to be worn in battle such as tunics, pants, tabards, shirts, etc.
• Court: A major item of garb not intended to be worn in battle such as dresses, doublets, cloaks, etc.
• Monster: A major item of garb that would qualify as garb for a monster in the Amtgard Rulebook.
• Favor: A garb accessory intended to be worn on one's belt.
• Jewelry: A garb accessory intended to be worn as jewelry such as crowns, coronets, necklaces, bracelets, rings, etc.
• Accessory: A minor item of garb such as hats, belts, shoes, bracers, etc. that would not fit into another category.
• Passive: Something not intended to go onto the battlefield such as boxes, steel weapons, decorative wooden weapons, stuffed animals, etc. This is a category for constructed items that would not fit into another category.
• Active: Something intended to be used on the battlefield such as ballistae, bows, fighting wands or throwing mugs. This is a generic category for things that would not fit into armor, weapon, or shield construction yet are still intended for rough battlefield use.
• Armor: Something that would qualify as armor by the rulebook standards in Amtgard such as padded armor, gambeson, chainmail, brigantine, greaves, thigh plates, helmets (although they would not actually count as armor), etc.
• Weapon: Something that would qualify as a weapon by the rulebook standards in Amtgard such as sword, spear, arrows, rocks, throwing daggers, madus, etc.
• Shield: Something that would qualify as a shield by rulebook standards in Amtgard.
• Banner: Something intended to be used as a banner and judged on construction and appearance.
• No items that have been given awards or have been entered in a previous Dragon Master may be entered.
• Limit of 2 entries per sub category.
• Cooking Entries – Bring all necessary serving utensils including plates and/or bowls.
• Written Entries – All entries, except publications, must be 5 pages or less and 6 copies must be provided.
We will be using Solithan's new vectored judging system that was used in the previous Dragon Master and at Crown Quals.
The remainder of Dragon Master scoring will remain the same. 3.5 will be deducted from item score and positive remainder will be applied towards a contestant’s overall Dragonmaster score. Example, an item scoring 4.0 will result in a contestant having 0.5 added to their overall score. Contestant with the highest overall score will be the victor. No bonus points will be given for winning individual categories. No more than two entries per category, per entrant, will be judged.
** I will be accepting requests to judge and shadow judge. **