Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post subject: How To: Knight's Belt
 Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:43 am 

Wanted to post the walk-through I finally got around to documenting! A couple of months after this thread started (2006), I got together with Sir Scytale and he helped me put a knight's belt together.

Here's the video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82gZne1a1Y0

I'll be posting a link to the pdf shortly, but in the meantime; I'll just copy and paste the main steps I compiled. I borrowed heavily(referenced/credited though) from the Amtwiki and Tandy Leather and added the steps passed on to me in a simple to use document.

I'd love to get some feedback on both the video and pdf manual. Really want to know it's as useful as I'm hoping it is!

Regards all,
Sutra

=======Sir Scytale's Knight's Belt Making Guide=======
==========Compiled by Sutra Bahuas============

Prepare Belt Blank
Either you’ve purchased a belt blank or cut one out from a leather shoulder. 8 or 9oz leather will be a good leather weight to work with. If you’re confident that belt making will be your forte and your product will be in demand, then consider a strap cutter as a wise investment. It’ll make cutting belt blanks from double shoulders a cinch and will cut down on costs vs. buying prefabricated belt blanks.

Reminder: Don’t forget to prepare the belt blank tip. Rounder or pointed tips are standard, but your imagination is the limit when it comes to choosing a belt tip.

Bevel the Belt Blank
Once your belt blank is prepped, use the edge beveler on both sides of the belt blank. Remember to bevel at a 45 degree angle in order to get a proper beveled edge on your belt blank. It will make the slicking process easier, facilitating in the finishing process of the final product.

Apply Glycerin Soap or Gum Tragacanth to the Beveled Edges
You'll want to either scrape a bar of Glycerin Soap (found at tack supply stores) or apply Gum Tragacanth to the beveled edges of the belt blank. This step will aid in the creation of a smooth slick rounded edge using the slicker, making the final piece look professionally done. If using Glycerin Soap, make sure to rub the material into the leather edge with your fingers. Glycerin is sensitive to heat and will dissolve, absorbing easily into the leather.

Soak the Belt Blank
After you’ve beveled and applied either Glycerin Soap or Gum Tragacanth to your belt, submerge the entire strap in room temperature water, making sure to profusely work the submerged leather, facilitating in the water absorption process. This will also help make the leather easier to work/mold. Once the leather stops bubbling/absorbing water, allow the belt to dry.

Notes: This is also a good time to pre-mold the ring section around the actual ring so that once the leather dries, this particular section is pre-formed and easier to bend/work for ring placement.

A standard measurement of either 3.5” or 4” is allowed for ring loop. Remember to punch holes before painting your leather.

Slicking the Edges
Make sure to dry the belt blank to the point of it being slightly damp. Using the slicker tool, work the edges (rapid sawing motion) in small sections ensuring in a good rounded slick edge. Once you have completed both sides of the belt blank, allow the product to completely dry.

Preparing to Paint
Once your Cova paint mix has been prepared, lay the belt blank out flat. It is recommended that you begin with the back/rough side first. Remember to take your time when applying paint. Using a sponge brush, apply a coat of paint at a time. Fortunately, the leather will quickly absorb the paint and the drying process will be accelerated. Remember that damp paint will not adhere well if it’s not given ample time to dry/absorb into the leather. Once you have applied the standard 10-12 coats of paint to the back face, flip the belt blank over and repeat the process on the front/smooth side.

Tip: Ten coats of paint per side is a safe standard, but it may require a couple more layers to your satisfaction.

Note: This process was prepared with consideration of the pre-Eco Flo Cova paint product line. The previous mixture was a ratio of 2:1 i.e. two 1.5oz jars of Cova White and one 1.5oz jar of water*. The new Eco Flo Cova colors will require testing.

Applying Hardware
Once the belt blank has been completely painted, you are ready to apply the finishing touches in regards to the basic hardware. Simply attach the ring and screw posts and you’re done.

Decorating your Finished Belt
Again, adding decorative hardware, applying appliques, or tooling the belt blank are not covered in this How To, but don’t be discouraged. Again, with a little patience and a lot of practice, a fantastic knight’s belt is within your grasp.

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences