Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post subject: armor question
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:17 pm 

second question: The rulebook specifically lists plastic as an example of a non-period material from which armor can be made, although at a maximum of a -2 penalty. obviously football armor is completely non-period, however I have some motocross armor with a bronze color I`d like to use as a bronze breastplate. I agree it should get a -2 due to the material, but my park is stating that plastic armor can never be worth any points because "it`s not even metal" therefore it can`t be plat (continued}

Post subject: Re: armor question
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:26 pm 

so my question is: if plastic is specifically called out as a usable material (with -2 max penalty) is it legit to say that plastic can only be used to simulate leather armor, thus making it worth 0 again? Or, if properly disguised, should pieces that wear like plate\brigadine be counted as potentially 3-4 points?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:31 pm 

I have known ppl who use plastic guard pieces but cover them with leather buy shaping the leather around it and in most cases it ends up looking pretty good if you cover the whole thing

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:07 pm 

then would that count as 2 point leather armor? or as brigidine armor with a penalty for plastic plates under the leather instead of steel?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:27 pm 

then would that count as 2 point leather armor? or as brigidine armor with a penalty for plastic plates under the leather instead of steel?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:44 pm 

"trickysam," armor ratings are the responsibility of the Champion and/or GMR of the kingdom/chapter in which you play. Asking these questions of a kingdom that you "don`t even know where EH is geographically" is not going to do a whole lot for you other than tell you how someone else, somewhere else, feels about a sight unseen hypothetical situation.

You would be much, much, better served dealing with the officers that will have an effect on things where you play.

Good luck to you.

________________Harbinger________________
_Spoiled Princess-Bitch o'crat-Campchair dictator_
________Mistress of House Battlecraze__________
_____Woman at Arms to Duke Dark Tigger______
✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥

I refuse the refuse

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:28 am 

It would mostly count based on the rating of the leather. But Orchid is right about the fact what we say here might be an idea but how armor would be rated would depend on the person even here alot of people don't rate armor the same and I am sure your kingdom would be the same

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:16 am 

Personally being a Champion myself, and knowing the impact that armor can have on the field... I'd give only MASTERFULLY made plastic armor 2pts. Otherwise it's almost an insult.

Spoiler! :
Familiarity, the first myth of reality: What you know the best, you observe the least.
Devotion, the second myth of reality: The faithful are most hurt by the objects of their faith.
Conviction, the third myth of reality: Only those who seek the truth can be deceived.
Fellowship, the fourth myth of reality: As the tides of war shift, so do loyalties.
Trust, the fifth myth of reality: Every truth holds the seed of betrayal.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:07 am 

I'm curious as to how it would be an insult? Would it be a matter of "I spent a long time making this" vs. "That was mostly premade, and you simply decorated it to look period?" If so, should people be penalized if they buy leather/chain armor online instead of making it themselves?

My question isn't if people "like" plastic as a material or not... but how it should be counted "by the book."

The book defines non-authentic materials:
Non-authentic materials refer to materials that were not in use to create armor at the time, such as plastic. For comparison of metals, steel is the standard weight and toughness, so lighter or softer metals, such as aluminum, will incur this penalty, while stainless steel will not. Subtractions for inauthentic material may never exceed -2, though completely inappropriate materials may receive no points (i.e. aluminum foil, cardboard, etc)."

Why would the book specifically call out "plastic" as a plausible "non-authentic material" in the very first sentence, if anything plastic should always be worth 0 points save for a possible +2 for superior craftsmanship?

Obviously parks may "house rule" stuff... and the above champion seems to be in that crowd... but is that necessarily true to the rules as written in the book?

(Obviously the local group will make it's decisions, but just because a person had the luck to win a championship doesn't necessarily means his interpretation of the rule book is correct. My park's current champion isn't necessarily going to be the champion everywhere always.)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:27 am 

Call me a critic... but I still just plain find it strange that people so favor weapons that weigh a matter of ounces, yet still insist that for any armor to be worth more than 2 points it MUST be live steel no less than 16 gage.

I have a feeling that's sort of the whole point of the "non-authentic material" section.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:25 am 

as the book states...

might i suggest this topic be moved to the arts and sciences board?

My suggestion would be to disassemble the protective gear to use as a pattern when you get the chance to acquire authentic materials.

armor in this game has more pull to sway battles more so than the difference between light and heavy weapons so it has a more strict policy around it. Light weight plate armor with designs for better mobility than actual plate armor is one helluva powerful set of equipment in class/militia battles.

6 for plate
-2 for plastic and nylon
-1 for shoddy craftsmanship(i.e. non-period)

I would give it a 3.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:52 am 

This is starting to read like a PAG post.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:59 am 

Per the rulebook:

Armor should weigh close to actual historical standards to receive full value.

...plastic and other non-metallic armors can never be disguised nor passed off as plate or chain mail.

(both from pg. 10)

Thus plastic armor may start at no higher than thick leather (2pts). It gets -1 for being inauthentic, so the base is 1. If it is very well constructed and made to look like armor, it may be given a +1 and be a total of 2. But more often than not, it stays at 1 or is poorly built and gets another -1 making it worthless.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:42 am 

If everyone's so biased against any non-authentic material (particularly plastic), why do you suppose plastic is specifically called out for as a non-authentic material?

... seems like the rule book contradicts itself, which is why depending on which champion I've asked, I've got the answer of anywhere between 0 and 4 (Before "masterful construction" bonuses). Even on this one board, it's been anywhere between 0 and 3.

(I'm aware the first sentence could be read as antagonistic... just have to trust that it's not. I have to assume that by version 7.6, anything in the book should be there for a specific reason.)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:53 am 

Garm I agree...

GM or Druids
PM of Riverstone
Captain of The Shadow Chorus
Member of House Singollo

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences