Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post subject: Hey Culturals Crowd...
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:37 pm 

....Dragonmaster is coming in 12-ish weeks (guess-timating).

You working on those entries yet?

________________Harbinger________________
_Spoiled Princess-Bitch o'crat-Campchair dictator_
________Mistress of House Battlecraze__________
_____Woman at Arms to Duke Dark Tigger______
✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥

I refuse the refuse

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:40 am 

Wanted to but I didn't realize I would only have two weeks to get it all together. Two weeks I might be able to get one good item... better to save the one item for the next go round so it'll have enough buddies to compete.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:57 am 

Flare wrote:
Wanted to but I didn't realize I would only have two weeks to get it all together. Two weeks I might be able to get one good item... better to save the one item for the next go round so it'll have enough buddies to compete.

Twelve, not 1-2.

Two weeks notice would just be wrong.

I was looking at stuff trying to figure out about when things were supposed to be coming up when I realized that DM should be in about 12 weeks or so by Corpora.

That's getting close enough, for culturals projects, that I thought folks might like a heads up/reminder.

________________Harbinger________________
_Spoiled Princess-Bitch o'crat-Campchair dictator_
________Mistress of House Battlecraze__________
_____Woman at Arms to Duke Dark Tigger______
✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥

I refuse the refuse

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:22 pm 

It's around the middle of March ...generally it falls around Red Storm's Ides of March event.
might have to shuffle our Ideas weekend OR perhaps hold WM/DM "north" portion up here at our event? ( like the past one was done) We meet on Saturdays so that is do-able should you choose.
Also DM could be held at Red Storm on the Sat and the WM portion could be held on the Sunday at another fine northern park. That way the WM portion could possibly expand to 10 different weapon type tourneys.
With the possibility of splitting DM to one day and WM to the next ....Red Storm could still hold their battle event while DM entries are judged. We had 56 ppl out last year for the 2nd Anual Ides. Just a thought;)

and yes, I'm working on entries for that!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:51 pm 

I know this is probably about the most noob flavored question you've probably ever gotten, but I've come to appreciate A&S as I've aged and have never entered a tourney for it before. Is there a certain number of entries I must submit, and must they be across different disciplines? I've no desire to run for office or anything, I just wish to see how well I can push my skill when given inspiration and how well I stack up against others in my same disciplines.

If there exists a text on "How to Enter Your First A&S Tourney", I'd be grateful for directions on how to find it.

Again, sorry for such a silly question, I just want to make sure I bring my best to competition.

Mage-at-Arms to Sir Alby Kzan
Brewer of Laughing Fox

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:19 pm 

That is not a silly question. Dragon Masters/ Weapon Masters are not used for officer qualifying purposes it is strictly a Cultural/ fighting competition. There is no minimum or maximum on the number of entries. Usually there is maximum of 3 entries that can be entered in any one category. Just bring your best work

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:23 pm 

for a good list of the catagories check under Artus Pass' posting site. Under the Cooking catagory "Vinter" may be missing. Vinter is done at places that are not public thus one can not consume alchohol. Vinter covers beer making, wine making, mead ect. It can not be a mixed drink. You can also brew tea...which can be done in a public park;)

Dragonmaster is the cream of the crop A&S items. This gives one individual the title of Dragonmaster for 6 months. They are the overall best.
Three entries per catagory, with your lowest scoring item not counting. There are 31 listed areas within the Main Catagories List. Dragonmaster is also scored at a higher level. Quals is 3.0 or above, Dragonmaster is 3.5 or above. A good thing to do is craft up to 15 items that cover a good range. A Dragonmaster should really show a wide spectrum of talent in as many areas as they can....this last is my personal opinion.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:04 pm 

That's what's great about the DM/WM. You can enter in all types of stuff. If you just have one thing, then go for it. if you have 20, then more the merrier.

Lettusio-Rex, Dreadmoor Fey Jackalope
Member of the House of H.O.P.S.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:06 pm 

Ahh, Arts and Science. My Amtgard Anti-drug. So looking forward to it!

GM or Druids
PM of Riverstone
Captain of The Shadow Chorus
Member of House Singollo

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:20 pm 

That is true Malran, but in order to 'win' you almost have to enter something in every catagory

Squire to Sir Logan T. Black
Clan Chieftain of the Turtle Clan
Ship's Surgeon, HMS "Turtle's Revenge"
Gaslight Sky Pirate

"Dwarves and mountains have one thing in common: It takes an almighty hammer and a tremendous amount of persistence to overcome them."

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:01 pm 

I was told by a Serpent Knight that I needed to make fifteen perfect entries ...honest. Note the word : perfect
nothing like being under pressure;)

So take your time, and do your absolute best. Remember to have an index card with each entry. (Legible please) DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ON THE CARD..all entries are judged without the entrant's identity being known. You'll be assigned a number or letter when you sign your entries in.

Name your item to snaz it up, make 5 copies of any written materials you enter, include the full recipe for any item under cooking. Food presentation helps. Just don't slop it on a plate;) PLUS you need to provide enough of your food for up to 5 judges, complete with plates, bowls, cups and utensils ...and the means to keep it hot or cold. Food is judged first in any competition.
Put things like the TIME it took you to make the item, if you did anything special to create it (besides pulling your hair out), is the item of your own creation, or copied from a picture, pattern ect? For example: if you used a pattern as a base, then altered it to get the end product.

Don't be a judge if you are entering any item ..not fair to judge your own things! And don't hang around when the judges are looking over the entries and scoring them. All judges should be more than willing to talk to you about your work once the scoring is done with. Believe me, their pointers are helpful as they know what they are looking for when scoring ...their advice will only help you improve.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:05 pm 

Perfect entries? The knight sounds a bit like my dad. He always says, "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." How I survived to adulthood, I often wonder. *grin*

So, how long before hand will we know if there's to be a Brewing catagory? The two contrasting brews I'd like to do will take about a month for one and a couple for the other... If there's not to be an opening for them I'll just turn my attention to other fields.

Mage-at-Arms to Sir Alby Kzan
Brewer of Laughing Fox

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:09 pm 

Since Dragon Masters is usually held in public parks alcholic drinks have pretty much become prohibited

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:15 pm 

the way i was told to get around that issue was to bottle the drinks and let the judges take them home to sample later.

or have dm on private property like tanglewood

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:34 pm 

yes bottle drinks to be taken home could work but really on saturday as scoring needs to be completed by end of event sunday so that scores can be tallied

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences