Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:12 pm 

Hi I'm going to my first amtgard tommarow and made a couple swords for it, please give me feed back on how I could improve them or do better next time. (I have tested them they do not hurt or bruise).

Post Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:40 pm 

Better feedback can be given if you will either explain how you made them or post a link to the tutorial/how-to that you used to make them.

First, I am always happy to see a newcomer trying to show up prepared to participate.

On the swords, just based on the images/video. I know that there is going to be an issue with the pommels, those need to be padded also. I can't tell by the video anything about the tips, but they look questionable (rules wise) to me.

Out of curiosity, what park will you be attending? You should be able to find someone there to help you get them into line with the rules.

Don't get upset if they are ruled not legal, it happens. Just be ready to ask for help or advice and be ready to listen.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:04 am 

I am attending artus pass. I just used pvc pipe, ducts tape, and some sot padding I found at home depot.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:37 am 

I am Artus Pass' current Regent. I am sorry that I will not be there to formally welcome you to the park as well as the game as I will be at another park handling some testing (also current kingdom GMR). But Welcome. We start at 1 pm currently due to shorter days so be sure to arrive around that time. Also we have a couple of people that will/should be there that will be more than happy to check your weapons and give you any pointers that may be needed. Just have your weapons checked by Mertag (my husband) will be there, Axident our current champion should be there and Fate our former champion should be there any of them will be more than happy and knowledgeable to help you with any questions you may have.

I do want to note that I didnt see a cover on the swords so be sure do that if it hasnt been done already. A quick, simple cover can be done with tights (not panty hose they need to be a somewhat thick material) or socks like knee highs or mens dress socks both of which you should be able to find at your closest Dollar tree.

Also Orchid is correct on the pommels will need to be padded as well to prevent injury if someone is accidentally hit with the pommel end. I cant say about the tip as I could not tell but just rule of thumb you want to be able to push down on the tip of the weapon with a reasonable amount of force and not be able to feel the core (in your case the PVC)

If you have any questions just ask either on here or any of our officers at park and we will be happy to answer them. Again Welcome to Artus Pass and Amtgard.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:47 am 

Thank you so much for the very warm welcome [smilie=icon_cheesygrin.gif] does the Pomel need to be covered too?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:52 am 

Yes the pommel should be covered as well

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:26 am 

Emyres, it was a blast getting to meet you yesterday! Great spirit sir, come on out next week as we'll be presenting a sword making demo!

See ya soon and post any questions you got either here on on the Artus Pass section.

Take care,
S

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences