Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:11 pm 

Spike spoke of these earlier. I was asked to develop a currency system for Souls Crossing. It was mostly for a game (Very popular) involving betting, so individuals paying for these was out. 100% group sponsored. Chris Lurker had the perfect name- Obolus. Put over the eyes or in the mouth of the dead, these coins were given to Charon by the deceased as payment to cross the river stix.

To give these coins some other worth than pretend currency, I made them useful as armor bits. They're 3003 13 gage aluminum hexagons measuring 1.5" across. Each of the 6 corners has a .138" hole in it. This makes each hole useful for 1/8" rivets (for leather), or two 16 gage split links (for augmented chain). Using them to make myself an augmented chain shirt now. Using small 16 gage 304 stainless split links and leather bits (with rivets and eyelets) to connect them.

There are plans to make a simple stamping for the center of one side with heraldry, currency name, and worth but I got too many projects going on now. Saving that for later. For now, the holed hexes are distinct enough.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:53 pm 

I have looked at tokensdirect before. The only reason I have not implemented a monetary system in the Eh is the cost. I want to make sure we have metal coins that won't be counterfieted. I have an entire system designed for the distribution and use of the coins in game. It would be an entire economy for events. If we can get together and find a cheap way to get the coins made, or get enough donations to make them, I think you guys would love what i have ready to go.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:59 am 

Would your monetary system require the money be persistent? We could use paper money printed for each event with a random serial number. The money could then be collected at the end of the event and the amount recorded for each player. Then shred the old money and print new currency with another random serial number for the next event. As players sign in we issue currency as recorded from the last event. If a player misses an event their money total stays the same. If a player is issued money but doesn't turn it in at the end of the event his total is reduced by the amount he was issued. Kind of like an Amtgard bank. Randomized serial numbers would prevent counterfeiting. There would be the cost of printing new currency every event but it would be tiny compared to buying tokens. Unless some wealthy patron cares to make a donation.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:14 am 

The issue I have with paper money is twofold. 1.) It is not durable and is likely to get ruined during use. 2.) We would have to do what you said and collect it eah event, document it and shred it then print more. That not only means a recurring cost, but havign to have someone reprint and re-distribute the money.

That and I think after a time people (I wish this were not true) would be able to pass of counterfiets to the kingdom and to other players. If the coin option is a total bust, then we may have to go with paper, but I am hopign we can find a solution to our coin issues. I think an ongoing in game economy would be a HUGE boost to role play and to inticing more peopel to come to our events for a unique Amtgard experience.

Puppet Master of the EH

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:44 pm 

I don't want to mess with pewter coinage, at least, I do not want to be exposed to lead, bismuth, etc.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:10 pm 

The coins I have looks at would be aluminum or an alloy material.

Puppet Master of the EH

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:52 pm 

Voshe wrote:
Spike spoke of these earlier. I was asked to develop a currency system for Souls Crossing... Obolus. Put over the eyes or in the mouth of the dead, these coins were given to Charon by the deceased as payment to cross the river stix...

Spoiler! :

Mine are a bit tarnished.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:55 pm 

Forest Evergreen wrote:
That and I think after a time people (I wish this were not true) would be able to pass of counterfiets to the kingdom and to other players. If the coin option is a total bust, then we may have to go with paper, but I am hopign we can find a solution to our coin issues. I think an ongoing in game economy would be a HUGE boost to role play and to inticing more peopel to come to our events for a unique Amtgard experience.

Get an embosser. Those things that make the raised seal on paper, like a notary public has to have. They are not prohibitively expensive at all for a custom one.

Every bill gets signed with a custom mixed ink or paint after printing and embossed over/on the signature. I can mix up a paint that can be used with a stylus (the writing kind, not the electronics kind).

The paper currency is not that hard to make difficult enough to copy to not be worth it for a game, no matter how much one loves the game.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:06 pm 

I read an idea on a larp msg board. Mount a twelve inch pipe to a base (i would weld it to a steel plate). Cut a 14 inch steel bar in half. Use a dremel to etch a design into the smooth cut face of each half of the steel bar. Drop the bottom half of the bar into the pipe with the etched surface up. Drop in a copper disk cut from a grounding rod (because using a penny would be illegal). Put the top half of the steel bar into the pipe with the etched surface down. Strike with a 3lb sledge. Paint the coins silver and gold with spray paint and clear sealer. Not impossible to counterfeit, but the only way to completely prevent that would be to make the coins too expensive to be worth reproducing. Personally I think if some one counterfeited this type of coin, the damage it did to our fantasy economy shouldn't out weigh the enjoyment of the rest of the populous. Plus at least they are giving us more coins to use. This is a game that functions completely on the honor system anyway.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:49 pm 

...Or I could use a laser.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:02 pm 

Muahahaha It looks like we may have found a solution. We will keep people updated as we get closer to the unveiling. :)

Puppet Master of the EH

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:49 am 

Can't wait to see the final product!

A survey on how economy would work can be pretty helpful too me thinks.
S

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:37 pm 

Spike FireCrow wrote:
Voshe wrote:
Spike spoke of these earlier. I was asked to develop a currency system for Souls Crossing... Obolus. Put over the eyes or in the mouth of the dead, these coins were given to Charon by the deceased as payment to cross the river stix...

Spoiler! :

Mine are a bit tarnished.

That's a black oxide finish. Just put it on there to make them different than the armor project pieces. Gotta keep them distinct. When I get the coins stamp made, they will go back to a shiny state. Here's what they'll look like.

All of this is doable on a 4 ton manual punch press. Lucky for me, the boss lets me borrow this one.

Invest in the tools, and doing it yourself becomes your cheapest option. The tools will be expensive, but everything after that is material cost and finding volunteers.

Last edited by Voshe on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:40 pm 

Super hot!
S

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 pm 

what's to keep people from hoarding the coins though? or more importantly what's to keep someone from coming, getting some tokens and then quitting amtgard? even if they pay for them that'd mean you'd have to keep making more and more, unless they were kept in-game by a banking system or something. idk im just thinking out loud lol

"As our bodies are armoured with Adamantium, our souls are protected with our loyalty. As our bolters are charged with death for the Emperor's enemies, our thoughts are charged with his wisdom. As our ranks advance, so does our devotion, for are we not Marines? Are we not the chosen of the Emperor, his loyal servants unto death?"
- Brother-Chaplain Fergas Nils' address to the defenders of Portrein

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences