Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post subject: Re: Chainmail
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:32 am 

I'd like to get my hands on some of those hexagons.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:30 pm 

terrik wrote:
I'd like to get my hands on some of those hexagons.

Sent you a PM.

-Voshe

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:34 am 

the machin yu used to punch out te hexagons can itbe used to punch out rectancles so I could do lamalar and wha were yur metal limitations on it? can i handle 16ga stainless?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:33 am 

What you describe is better suited to a shear. Every city of decent size has a sheet metal supply distrubutor. It is fairly common for them to have a heavy duty hydraulic shear. They can charge a lot for cutting a sheet up. Sometimes it pays to shop around. Your local sheet metal shops may cut you a better deal. You bring them the purchased sheet. They chop it into rectangles. They would be happy to punch/deburr it themselves too ($$$), but these are things that you can do. A little roper whitney Jr. hand punch, and/or drill press, and a file & sandpaper (Beltsander better)would allow this. Another thing is quantity. If more people pool their resources to have more made, this may lower the individual price. Again, shop around. Quotes are free.

It takes 15 gage or thicker to get the thickness bonus. 18 gage is the standard in Amtgard now. Weight and expense may be better served by using 18 gage. Stainless is a very durable, and practically maintenence free material, but it will be more than twice the price of plain steel or certain grades of thicker aluminum.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:07 am 

I have some sheet stainless already I know it costs for a company to cut, someplaces can go as cheap as like 25 cents a cut, but you figure cutting a 4'x8' sheet into 4"x2.5" would be alot of cuts.I have the time this summer and the know how just not the right tools needed for a nice clean and neat job.
also anyone know where I can find a bench sheer? that would cut down price alot

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:03 pm 

BearShoulders wrote:
cutting a 4'x8' sheet into 4"x2.5" would be alot of cuts.also anyone know where I can find a bench sheer? that would cut down price alot

E-bay has this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bench-Type-Hand-Met ... 5198af151e
Capable of cutting 1/8" thick mild steel sheet, it should do fine with 16 gage stainless. This shear has 5" blades, so you would be getting a shop to shear your sheet into strips, and you would be cutting them into rectangles. Don't even look at shears capable of cutting 16 gage stainless 4' wide. Wouldn't recommend using a bandsaw. Bandsaw blades don't like stainless. It would be slow, tedious and you would end up spending more for blades than getting the whole job sheared for you. Bandsaws are better suited for cutting patterns of sheet for making plate.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:13 pm 

ya band saws are a no go but I have seen powered shears they are just a pain to use and go dull quick as heck. There was one that I want to try and find, it was similiar to the one I used in my art metals class, because it is an industrial one

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences