Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:52 pm 

I'm wanting to do a workshop at our park on how to make spell balls, and over the years I've heard everyone's opinions on "this is the best way to make a spell ball" often with insults thrown at other ideas. Everyone seems to have their favorite way and it seems to have more to do with how they throw and how they expect it to fly, so i want to try all of them and let people decide which one they like best.

I'd love to have people post as many different (legal) ways as they can think of.

thanks!

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:53 am 

you know how the clothes dryer seems to always eat a sock? so after a while you end up with a buch of mismatched socks? well there you go, take those lonely socks ball it up, put spell ball colored cloth around it and let it fly. cheap and easy

"Passion overrules Reason" wizard's rule #3 of the Terry Goodkind series "Sword of truth"

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:35 am 

I like to use balls of yarn. You can make them as soft or hard as you want based off of how you wrap it, and they have a Pretty good weight to then as well. You can usually get 5-6 balls out of a big thing of cheep yarn.

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:56 am 

Different cloths will have different weights. Spellball made out of scrap T-Shirt material isn't going to be as dense as scrap denim. Most of it is picking a core and density that's most comfortable to you. I like the rubberband spellballs, but can use densly packed scrap cloth as well. I've seen others use foam "practice" baseballs... it's really all about what feels comfortable in your hand... After building one and testing, I'm really a big fan of Alby's reversable spellballs with a rubber-band core.

"Until we stop viewing making a knight into a non-knight a fate worse than death we'll never be able to clean up knighthood." - Glen

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:10 pm 

Thanks guys :) i'd love to keep getting suggestions from people, the more ideas we can try the better.

also as a side note, is that the same thing you would use as cores for throwing daggers? (and/or how do you make those) might be a fun follow up workshop.

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:24 am 

wallflower wrote:
Thanks guys :) i'd love to keep getting suggestions from people, the more ideas we can try the better.

also as a side note, is that the same thing you would use as cores for throwing daggers? (and/or how do you make those) might be a fun follow up workshop.

I would recommend Fitz' throwing weapon tutorial found here: http://www.calistonarmory.com/index.php/tutorials/

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:57 pm 

I prefer socks filled with scrap fabric, but that's primarily because I have lots of scrap fabric to hand at all times. If you're looking to hold a workshop and I'm not too far away, I've got a bag of filler still.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences