Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:53 pm 

I am going to pass this info along from an Esam post:

As most of you should have heard by now, Funnoodle no longer meets the requirements to make a legal sword from. (without extensive modifications or additions and at that point it would be easier to just build a sword out of camp foam) Currently, the legal minimum for a strike legal round blade is 1 inch thickness from the core, with a 2.5inch diameter. Funnoodle meets neither of these.

If you have the money, you can buy a blade (or a sword) from:
https://www.warlordsports.com

But if you a looking for a cheap alternative to Funnoodle, here is the current suggested foam to construct legal swords from:
http://www.drillspot.com/products/48889 ... insulation

$11 right now for a 6 feet length, just under 4 dollars per short sword, assuming you have a core.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:56 am 

Not quite correct. The walmart funnoodle and dollar store types have changed their foam yes but there are alternatives. You can still get quality noodle from any Leslie's Pool supply stores or buy them direct online. I see the issue that the thin noodle is causing but there are still places to buy it.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:59 am 

i ride by a leslie's every day. so i'm willing to try that. .... but i'm curious if anyone knows if the type of pipe insulation linked above can only be found online or if i might be able to wrangle up the same type or something close enough at a local home depot or lowe's.

Dame Nightengael Bahuas
Nightmare of Artus Pass
Dragonmaster X XX XXX
Sable Pride Stormtrooper 66

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:24 am 

The link above and google are the only places that i could find anything like it. Im going to stop by home depot and lowes to see what kinds of pipe insulation they offer. Im still searching for lighter legal alternatives for funnoodle.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:50 pm 

Noodle is around a 1 PCF (pound per cubic foot) medium closed cell polyethylene. I can still find 2.5 dia. from noodle brand noodle. Even in good lots of noodle, there can be undersized pieces. I take a ruler.

For a more durable sword, you could try (a) heavier density PCF polyethylene (b) Crosslinked Polyethylene (c) EVA evalite just like the rulebook suggests (d) campmat- crosslinked polyolefin. There are also crosslinked polyethylene camp mats.

I think it's the shape/size that makes noodle so popular. There are a lot of easy noodle designs out there. Noodle bat just minutes away. The omni shape is also agreeable. None of that "your blade landed flat" argument (weather or not it did) with a flatblade.

If noodle continues this downward spiral in size, I can see a time when craftsmen of different groups step forward. Laminating and trimming higher quality foams into octagonal tubes. The common tablesaw, some fixturing, DAP, foam press and some voluntold helpers could be organized. Minus materials, it could become a fund raising thing.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:37 pm 

Back in washington state years ago (don't know if it's still common), it was common to use sheet foam that you could get from furniture store dumpsters or by the roll at an office supply/moving store. One piece of clear tape to attach the foam, then just roll it to your required thickness.

Mage-at-Arms to Sir Alby Kzan
Brewer of Laughing Fox

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:00 pm 

still semi common. i think the prefered method for some players is still MC foam similar to what you are refering to.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:28 pm 

Brennon actually has a great comparison on warlordsports that breaks down the different foams:

http://warlordsports.com/Main.aspx?cont ... ticleID=44

"Until we stop viewing making a knight into a non-knight a fate worse than death we'll never be able to clean up knighthood." - Glen

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:22 pm 

I bought a stick of the drillspot pipe insulation and so far I like it. It is heavier and much more dense than the previous batch of crap noodle . For park and fighter practice it is working out very well. If this lasts for normal use then it is well worth the price in the long run.

If at first you dont succeed, Dick Stab the guy that does,,,,

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:45 am 

Ice wrote:
I bought a stick of the drillspot pipe insulation and so far I like it.

Where did you get that Ice?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:45 pm 

I bet he got it from drillspot.com

http://www.drillspot.com/hvacr/pipe-and ... nsulation/

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:31 pm 

I found something similar to the drill spot on lowes website at about half the price, but it doesnt seem to be sold in stores in the DFW area (most likely meant for colder climate areas) so it would still have to be shipped but its another alternative

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences