Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:52 pm 

Again, I love it! Thank you for drawing from your previous experiences to help out! Keep the suggestion's coming! And, on that note, I've also updated the list AGAIN in response to more amazing suggestions and stories of previous difficulties for judges and entrants as well as things that were done to prevent even more disasters! I hope the list is getting better as it progresses and not the other way around. LOL.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:21 pm 

Zelodie-Local-Satyr wrote:
. . . How would you feel about meeting at someones place afterwards for an after Park sampling/dinner/party? It could be a sort of celebratory kind of thing, I think. I offer my home, which is near park for such an affair. But, if you were judging, what would you think of this?

Having run A&S tournies before, all I can think of is that it is a very long, VERY HOT day, and at the end of it, the only thing I ever wanted was to hastily GTFO.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:29 pm 

Fortunately, this will be in September. But, there is always the thought of including separate containers for the individual judges that are individually sealed and letting them judge at their own homes at their own convenience.

And, speaking of heat. It would be nice if we could do the entire judging in a house/apartment. That way 1) AC, 2) Lack of people hovering 3) More table space/room to spread out 4) A handy microwave/oven or refrigerator to make sure all cooking entries are at the temperature they're supposed to be at and 4) Not feeling rushed. Did I mention AC? LOL. Just set the cut off time for dropping off goods and everyone carpool to the actual judging location. Might even make keeping the entries anonymous, a near impossible task.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:48 pm 

The only problem with doing judging in a house/apartment it makes it difficult for people to do their performance entries, especially if they're also entering Weaponmaster. If you do go this route what I would suggest is to have all performances done very first, then you can relocate to another venue to complete the rest of the judging.

As for trying to keep entries anonymous, something I've been a fan of for years is trying to get out of kingdom people (especially serpent knights) to come judge, because certain people's crafts are easily identifyable if you've seen enough of their work, prime example, there was one dragonmaster where just by walking through the area I was able to spot identify about 90% of Flare's garb entries.

"Until we stop viewing making a knight into a non-knight a fate worse than death we'll never be able to clean up knighthood." - Glen

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:44 pm 

other problem i see for judging away from the rest of the festivities would be if the judges have questions about an entry... Thanks to the age of cell phones it's fairly easily solved if you have someone where you've left the entrants who knows who entered what that you can get a hold of so they can go ask what ever needs to be asked of the entrant.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:15 pm 

Great points, guys. I'm glad I threw that thought out there!

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:10 am 

..... It seems silly to me to keep so many specialized subcategories such as Novelty and Edible Subtlety in Cooking or Earthenware, Stone Working, Sciences and Paper or Canvas Crafts in 3D Art all of which have historically shown to be at best infrequently entered areas and then just schmoosh the whole of Bardic together into one category without even the simplest distinctions between Dance, Music, and Oratory. If you can find such subtle distinctions in the other arenas then why on earth would performance merit absolutely zero distinctions? This holds true for writing as well. I just happen to be passionate and invested in the Bardic arts. I'm not saying 7 or 8 subcategories in each. Just the simple distinctions aforementioned for Bardic and perhaps Fiction, Non-Fiction, Other in Writing.

Ironwoman Bard of the Hills

Dame Nightengael Bahuas
Nightmare of Artus Pass
Dragonmaster X XX XXX
Sable Pride Stormtrooper 66

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:55 am 

Thank you, Dame Nightengael. I have worked on fixing this. Let me know if it has improved. :)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:15 am 

Looks a lot better. :)

I do have a question. Can you list the differences between, Bardic Performance, Dramatic Performance, and Other: Acting?

I want to know what would qualify for each of those categories.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:34 am 

May I suggest including photography as a separate subcategory of 2D art? Obviously, it cannot be judged against painted or computer-generated art.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:21 pm 

Check and check. I think we're getting closer. LOL

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:06 pm 

The garb lists here are a bit different from the newsletter in progress, and so I wanted to revisit our conversation about garb categories and how belly dance costuming doesn't fit well into either fighting or court categories.

It has to be sturdy enough for movement similar to fighting, but the details aren't designed for impact. The styles certainly don't fit into the standards one thinks of for courtly wear either. It's not something that would come up often, but I often feel discouraged from making and entering this type of garb because I don't feel it would be judged very highly as either fighting or court garb.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:46 pm 

I would call it court garb, because it IS what a dancer would wear to perform in court. That being said, the judges need to understand that it is not "formal" wear and that it is designed for a specific purpose.

In fact you should do a write up on what makes good belly dance garb: How shoud it fit, what accessories should / should not be on it and why (i.e. beads, bells, etc. are they always good for the outfit or only for certain types of performances?)

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:10 pm 

Aylin_Karyn wrote:
The garb lists here are a bit different from the newsletter in progress, and so I wanted to revisit our conversation about garb categories and how belly dance costuming doesn't fit well into either fighting or court categories

Thank you for reminding me. In this case, performance garb would simply be divided into the garbing sub category by sex. So, it would be Garb: Female Garb or Garb: Male Garb depending on who it's made for. Bodice, Corsete, Skirts, Chemise, Snood, Noblewomen's Court Garb, Performance Garb, Women's Monster Garb, Women's Pesant Garb, Women's Fighting Garb, Women's Clothing Accessory are just examples of Women's garb, but don't limit or restrict what would be acceptable within that sub category. I did it this way so that I could include in my many examples without making the number of categories astronomical!

Zelodie-Local-Satyr wrote:
C. GARB:
01. Jewellery: Carcenet, Necklaces, Chokers, Torques, Armlets (upper arm bracelets), Bracelets, Cuff links, Bangles, Slave bracelets, Belly chains, Breastplates, Brooches, Chatelaines, Body piercing jewellery, Anklets (ankle bracelets), Toe rings, Barefoot sandals, Amulets, Medical alert jewellery, Prayer jewellery, Japa malas, Prayer beads, Prayer ropes, Rosary beads, Puzzle jewellery, Puzzle rings, Signet rings, Thumb rings, Pledge pins, Company/HouseholdMembership pins, Cameos, Emblems, Findings, Lockets, Medallions, Pendants, etc

02. Unisex Items: Shirt, Cape, Cloak, Muffin Cap, Biggins, Tunic, Unisex Court Garb, Unisex Monster Garb, Unisex Peasant Garb, Unisex Fighting Garb, Unisex Clothing Accessory, etc

03. Women's Clothing: Bodice, Corsete, Skirts, Chemise, Snood, Noblewomen's Court Garb, Performance Garb, Women's Monster Garb, Women's Pesant Garb, Women's Fighting Garb, Women's Clothing Accessory

04. Men's Clothing: Jerkin, Doublet, Breeches, Slops, Codpiece, Hose, Noblemen's Court Garb, Performance Garb, Men's Monster Garb, Men's Pesant Garb, Men's Fighting Garb, Men's Clothing Accessory, etc

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:29 pm 

I've always had that problem with court vs fighting garb. I've never been able to enter some of my own normal garb in there because it's not for court, but it's not intended for the field of battle either, but putting that it's intended to be worn by someone signing in as "color" was always seen as a cop-out... I'm liking the male/female/ unisex distinction. I'm assuming with such we just need to write into our description what it's intended for and it will get judged accordingly, is that right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences