Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:47 pm 

If you have the inclination, identify for me numerous grammatical errors in this paragraph.

Tournaments provide a unique challenge in the culture of Amtgard. On the one hand, a tournament represents the pinnacle of excellence to which all fighters aspire. On the other hand, what can be a celebratory and exciting can instead be soured by poor spirits and wounded emotions. No one enters a tournament seeking to be dissatisfied. Your responsibility as a reeve, simply, is to ensure that any fighter who leaves the feel disappointed is distraught only by being honestly defeated. Whether you are new to reeving or a veteran of many Crown Qualifications, I hope you take great pride in being the officiator of the field of honor. Reeving is a serious responsibility, but it also part of the fun and excellence of Amtgard. I offer the following prescriptions, not as commandments, but as suggestions based on experience, reflection, and above all, the practical needs of the job.

Last edited by Diestro on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:11 pm 

Darkangel wrote:
If you have the inclination, identify for me numerous grammatical errors in this paragraph.

Tournaments provide a unique challenge in the culture of Amtgard. On the one hand, a tournament represents the pinnacle of excellence to which all fighters aspire. On the other hand, what can be a celebratory and exciting can instead be soured by poor spirits and wounded emotions. No one enters a tournament seeking to be dissatisfied. Your responsibility as a reeve, simply, is to ensure that any fighter who leaves the feel disappointed is distraught only by being honestly defeated. Whether you are new to reeving or a veteran of many Crown Qualifications, I hope you take great pride in being the officiator of the field of honor. Reeving is a serious responsibility, but it also part of the fun and excellence of Amtgard. I offer the following prescriptions, not as commandments, but as suggestions based on experience, reflection, and above all, the practical needs of the job.

I bolded the 3 errors I found in the paragraph. Also, the word prescription seem awkward in the last sentence. While not incorrect, I think there are plenty of synonyms that would have been better used there.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:39 pm 

Argh! Typos. I received feedback that there were "numerous grammatical mistakes" but I've been staring at this vainly trying to find them. Thank you so much, Forest! Not a single one of those generates red ink in Word, and only the first is a mechanical grammar error. The third one, although wrong, happens to mimic a legal sentence construction.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences