Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:00 pm 

I've been complimented a couple of times on the heraldry image in the new battlecrown. While I'd like to take credit, I can't. It's originator, to my understanding, is Dame Gwynne. The image on the crown is a version of that iconic image.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:13 pm 

beautiful work

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:58 pm 

Do the runes have meaning?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:52 pm 

For my part, thank you. I did not want to take undue credit for creating that center plate heraldry image. I made a version of Dame Gwynnes original artwork. One that is simpler, and better suited to a deep engraving. The original heraldry has history, and connection to the Emerald Hills.

Yes, the runes do have meaning. The symbols are in the Angerthas runic alphabet. One of the alphabets created by J.R.R. Tolken. In Middle Earth these runes were created by the elven minstrel of King Thingol. This minstrel (Daeron), was well respected by the dwarves as a genius. The dwarves adopted these runes as the written form of their language too. This was way back in the first age. So, a runic alphabet used by dwarves and elves. The fantasy genera is represented. To give a nod to history, the actual words are in latin. A dead language given a certain mysticism by the Roman Catholic Church. The idea is to imply that these are magical runes of power that imbue the wearer of the crown these Kingly/Queenly aspects.-- Servito (service) Ducatum (leadership) Sapiens (wise) and Astutia (cunning)-- Also on the crown there are symbols of the sword (strength and fighting prowess), and the serpent (creativity, artistry and skill).

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:09 am 

Wow. Very cool.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences