Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:26 am 

I would like to request that A&S autocrats work with the fighting events' autocrats to consider bardic performers when planning tournament times and cutoffs and/or allow accommodations that permit them to enter in both tournaments. It's certainly something we could request when arriving at the tournament but could never *expect* such accommodations, certainly on short notice or (for all we know) for one person only that day. (And Crown Quals tournament info is not always posted with much advance notice.)

As a performance artist who also runs for office, I would have LOVED the opportunity to ever enter my items and perform well in advance of the fighting tournament, without stressing and rushing to make the cutoffs for both, but that has never been an option for me. I've never participated in a fighting tournament per the corpora rules to qualify for office and have had to rely on finding a champion. This in itself can also present a mad, late scramble, since fighters frequently have no personal interest or investment in signing up for X number of events.

As an example, Olympiad participants who both fought and performed shared very positive feedback regarding how smoothly the event was run.

(I'm posting this here because Facebook is a terrible format for discussion and the few but loud complainants there have made it abundantly clear that they have no interest in actual discussion.)

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:58 am 

I have done both several times. I have qualified at Kingdom lvl as many as 10 times and it can be a scramble. But for that reason (as well as the other tournys) I hold a bit of a softer stance on sign in and start times. Sometimes we are not in control of our real lives and this is a game. Many times as my 4 terms as kingdom regent I have allowed someone to enter a little late, or put back a performance to a later time due to the tourney. As one that was running the fight, I have used bi to move on so someone could finish their cooking or performance, all with no detriment to the day.(note:not talking about a 3hr late entry) This is not a job or any kind of real life scenario, we can have a little leeway for the players of this game and it hurts no one. But that is my opinion and it was pointed out to me last night that I have a tendency to stand on my feelings of what I feel is right rather than a hardliner on the rules. I know not everyone is the same.
An example(and do not take as a complaint, because I supported you)
When I came to turn in The Regent entries and found I was 45 min late, you turned me away. I had been caught up in kingdom business and could not have gotten there any earlier.
I walked away with no complaints but a little leeway in that sit would have harmed no one.

But usually we in quals have it set were there are enough events so that if you attend both days you can easily fit it all in, if you try to qual in one day it can be a scramble to get it all done but still very possible especially if we give them the leway to do so.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:27 pm 

I agree that some leeway is appropriate in certain situations, and for me the line is having any small amount of advance notice of scheduling difficulties.

I am personally inclined to take a hard line for high level tournaments because that extra time does allow entrants to make changes to improve their pieces, which is an unfair advantage not given to everyone who arrived on time.

I don't believe that many people would do this, but the hypothetical example is that I could spend 45 minutes extra snipping threads, finishing a belt, writing a poem, memorizing a monologue, and could easily choreograph a whole dance piece given merely an extra hour. Instead, I abide by the deadlines, assume no special treatment, and scrap the unfinished works for another time.

The real-life example instead of my hypothetical is that an entrant did turn in items early and sat in the hall snipping threads until the cutoff. This is perfectly acceptable and shows what a difference a few minutes can make.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:23 pm 

And for the example I gave?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:57 pm 

It's one I would consider but I had decided on the strict deadline. Others who weren't sure if they'd make it in time contacted me online to pre-register for the same reason, and that's why pre-registration was offered.

Ideally, you might have sent a messenger or might have had the chance to discuss it with me Thursday night. Looking back, and especially since learning whose items they were, I certainly would like to have seen them entered.

However, can you imagine if I'd allowed that, how much worse this could have been with the even later entries?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:50 pm 

As a fighter, I prefer all tournaments have hard and fast deadlines. Showing up on time and prepared is part of my ritual for winning tournaments. I consider it disrespectful to the tournament, and my opponents, to enter late.

But, hey, maybe it's different in A&S.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences