Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Announcements » Old Althing Results

Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:48 pm 

First off I think that #2 and #3 are solutions to things that weren't a problem. Before this reign, I think it had been 8 years since the last contested Champion race. And there are now some unintended consequences like Defender probably not being used for Sword Knight eligibility anymore. On the other hand there hasn't been a Defender given in 4 years; no one in the EH has gotten a Warlord by using Defender; And it has been 9 years since the last Sword Knight that needed to use defender to meet eligibility. So ... I guess Defender was not used that often anyway?

Nevron wrote:
Ok...Got a few more questions...

If someone completes their task to qualifiy for our future champion, and if no one else qualified, do they still need to be voted in?.

And...

If 2 (or more) people do manage to qualify for champion and one of them is a warrior of worth, and by that I mean someone who can swing a stick well enough to not hit themselfs in the head, but the other person not only had a third person fight all their war events, but the person seeking the position of EH Champion doesn't even know which end of the sword is to be used to strike at someone. Much less what makes a weapon safe or unsafe. Will a vote still be required?

And...

What if Forest and I both run for Champion and we would rather fight it out to see who wins the position does this new rule keep us from doing it by tourney and forever restrict us to just letting the populace vote who they want as the reigns champion?

[smilie=icon_question.gif]

No. Just like any other uncontested position, no election will be required.

Technically this would be up to the person running CQ, because allowing someone else to enter events for you is just a tradition, and the same tradition says no one can champion for a champion. If your question is: "If a Sword Knight and a guy that's been in the game 6 months both declare for Champion does there have to be a vote?" Yes.

Totally doable: "Forest and I have decided to fight it out between ourselves, and the loser of that tournament will withdraw before elections."

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:25 pm 

Elder Vermilion wrote:
First off I think that #2 and #3 are solutions to things that weren't a problem.

#2 has been an issue for several parks in the past.

#3 was a suggestion by the regent because of the way we keep records and the voting requirements for electing the GMR. Imagine trying to elect the GMK with no written list of who the Knights were and even if you did have a list people only stayed on the list for 6 months and there are no dates on the list to let you know when they should be removed, In addition, they are required to "assist in their field of expertise at least once a month" to stay on the list, but no way to track that as well.

The GMR is responsible for more than just knowing the rules and giving out the test. Most importantly, Item #12 on Page 4 of the Rulebook.

Elder Vermilion wrote:
Before this reign, I think it had been 8 years since the last contested Champion race. And there are now some unintended consequences like Defender probably not being used for Sword Knight eligibility anymore. On the other hand there hasn't been a Defender given in 4 years; no one in the EH has gotten a Warlord by using Defender; And it has been 9 years since the last Sword Knight that needed to use defender to meet eligibility. So ... I guess Defender was not used that often anyway?

I was telling people at Midnight Sun yesterday that, "Even if I were a Knight, and it wouldn't be a Sword Knight, I wouldn't vote to give somebody a sword belt if the Defender Title was having to be used as part of determining his/her fighting ability. They can just fight in several more tournaments and prove themselves just fine."

Elder Vermilion wrote:
Nevron wrote:
Ok...Got a few more questions...

If someone completes their task to qualifiy for our future champion, and if no one else qualified, do they still need to be voted in?.

And...

If 2 (or more) people do manage to qualify for champion and one of them is a warrior of worth, and by that I mean someone who can swing a stick well enough to not hit themselfs in the head, but the other person not only had a third person fight all their war events, but the person seeking the position of EH Champion doesn't even know which end of the sword is to be used to strike at someone. Much less what makes a weapon safe or unsafe. Will a vote still be required?

And...

What if Forest and I both run for Champion and we would rather fight it out to see who wins the position does this new rule keep us from doing it by tourney and forever restrict us to just letting the populace vote who they want as the reigns champion?

No. Just like any other uncontested position, no election will be required.

Technically this would be up to the person running CQ, because allowing someone else to enter events for you is just a tradition, and the same tradition says no one can champion for a champion. If your question is: "If a Sword Knight and a guy that's been in the game 6 months both declare for Champion does there have to be a vote?" Yes.

Totally doable: "Forest and I have decided to fight it out between ourselves, and the loser of that tournament will withdraw before elections."

So Nev I've got a couple of questions to ask you in reply.

to your first point
Nevron wrote:
[/quote]

If a Crown Knight asks a stupid question about how elections work, should I answer?

and to your second question... that's how elections work. Campaign against the guy who doesn't know how a sword works, and get the other guy elected.
Actually, how about this scenario for you, you are new to the game (been playing about 9 months) your entire park has only existed less than 2-3 years. They guy who is constantly champion only runs mutual annihilation battlegames and lets weapons stay on the field that aren't legal (but belong to his friends) while throwing weapons off the field (that belong to people he doesn't like) do we simply reward him over and over again for being the best fighter? or let them elect somebody else to the position. This isn't a common scenario, but it is actually a more common scenario than it should be.
Besides your super-flurb, may actually be competent at running some battlegames and doing everything the Champion is suppose to do. I'll take the Master Druid in V7 over the Master Barbarian to protect me anyday, and if protecting the crown is the main reason for "fighting for Champion" why do we have 12 other people with that same job in the corpora.

To you last point... if you and Forest decided to fight before the election happened, and one of you dropped out of the election because of the results of that fight. I see nothing that prohibits you from doing such.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:14 pm 

DarkTigger: "In addition, they are required to "assist in their field of expertise at least once a month" to stay on the list, but no way to track that as well." Pretty sure this is in ref to GMR/Qualified Reeves.

Only way I kept track of those who Reeved is via the ORK as a past EHPM. Since they had to have 6 creds in Reeve to be able to vote in an election. Even if I had to use my fingers;))

My question is when do the changes go into effect?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:23 pm 

Any corpora changes that are not given an effective date are effective immediately.

Thank you Tigger, I get why the changes were suggested now. I think there were better ways to solve them, but at least I see that there were problems.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:30 pm 

Thank-you Elder.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:27 pm 

I don't think failing to Reeve once a month makes you not a reeve. As nearly as I can tell, anyone who passes a reeves' test is simply obligated to Reeve... which makes crown quals sort of interesting in a way.

Incidentally, the answer to the Champion always running dumb battlegames is for the Monarch to schedule games. The Monarch presides over all Amtgard functions, and the Champion's job is to come up with games when other activities have not been planned. If you don't like the Champion's games, complain to your monarch.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:53 pm 

If you pass the Reeve's test, you are Reeve's qualified ..yes. However our Corpora does state
(pg 9 , C. Reeve's Guild #4)

"All members are required to reeve at least one game per month."

In the past you needed 6 Reeve's credits in the 6 mos immediately prior to the two weeks before the end date of a vote. So to paraphrase: 6 reeve's credits in 6 mos to be able to vote for a GMR candidate. In the last election TWO people were able to vote for the GMR out of the entire Kingdom, and both of those members were from the northern parks.

I see the need for Reeves. I see the need for candidates for High offices and park offices to pass a Reeve's test. Yet will we still have the need to require those that pass the test, to Reeve 6 times per reign?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:37 am 

TigerHawke wrote:
If you pass the Reeve's test, you are Reeve's qualified ..yes. However our Corpora does state
(pg 9 , C. Reeve's Guild #4)

"All members are required to reeve at least one game per month."

In the past you needed 6 Reeve's credits in the 6 mos immediately prior to the two weeks before the end date of a vote. So to paraphrase: 6 reeve's credits in 6 mos to be able to vote for a GMR candidate. In the last election TWO people were able to vote for the GMR out of the entire Kingdom, and both of those members were from the northern parks.

I see the need for Reeves. I see the need for candidates for High offices and park offices to pass a Reeve's test. Yet will we still have the need to require those that pass the test, to Reeve 6 times per reign?

I just looked, and the GMR section actually doesn't specify you have to participate as a reeve in order to vote. That language is from the class Guildmasters section. Even before the corpora change, "naughty reeves" would be allowed to vote. It does not surprise me that only two people had that many Reeve credits; most people don't take Reeve credits very often. GMR elections have never required credits to vote in, only passing the Reeves test.

EDIT: I just assumed this Corpora Change for the GMR was "because democracy." I didn't realize the elections were being run this way and I wish someone had stated their reasons for wanting the change. Every time I submit an Althing item I make a point of including a rationale, in addition to the motion itself.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:47 pm 

DA, you are correct ..it is not there but under Residency rules, which also give us the 6 credit rule to be able to vote and run in an election.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:23 pm 

New Corpora posted:
http://www.amtgard-eh.com/library/corpo ... _03_31.pdf

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:39 pm 

TigerHawke wrote:
DA, you are correct ..it is not there but under Residency rules, which also give us the 6 credit rule to be able to vote and run in an election.

Well, it's water under the bridge at this point.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:47 am 

Noticed some things in the Copora:
Quote:
1 or ¼ Any class (special) Working at improving Tanglewood forest when not at
a scheduled Amtgard function counts as per a “regular gaming day.” Note: Credits may only be
assigned to those classes that the player is actively playing when attending Amtgard functions

Shouldn't the 1/4 be removed from here as well since it's now 1/day?

and
Quote:
C. Reeves Guild
<snip>
4. All members are required to reeve at least one game per month

in regards to
Quote:
G.
Guildmaster of Reeves (GMR)
<snip>
2. Chosen from the Reeves guild by election at the Crown Elections
3. Only members of the Reeves guild may run for GMR

It merely states they are required to reeve one battlegame per month, not take Reeve credit. If I reeve 1 battlegame and play healer in the next and take Healer credit for the day I have met the requirement, but if there's not a way to track it in the ork there's a chance my vote won't count depending on how this PM or that PM interprets eligibility requirements.

just my half-cent on the matter... damned inflation.

"Until we stop viewing making a knight into a non-knight a fate worse than death we'll never be able to clean up knighthood." - Glen

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Announcements » Old Althing Results