Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard

Post subject: Re: Class Guilds
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:44 am 

If you will notice I haven't posted to this thread before and I have no clue what in the hell you are talking about. I know the reasons for the guilds. Go ck the 1st of this thread and post to them not me dumb ass

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:22 am 

falamar";p="2699 wrote:
If you will notice I haven't posted to this thread before and I have no clue what in the hell you are talking about. I know the reasons for the guilds. Go ck the 1st of this thread and post to them not me dumb ass

tolken";p="2689 wrote:

No, Sirrakhis is using a bracket device that enters the name of the person logged on into the text. It confused me also until I tried to quote his text and saw the code

That post is Adressed to the viewer. IE whoever is viewing that post sees THEIR name, but in reality it is adressed to no one.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:33 am 

Sirrakhis";p="2693 wrote:
-snip-
Quote:
Would strong, active guilds help with player inflow to the kingdom as well?

I think a focus from this perspective would actually detract from the greater need of simply keeping the interest of the new people we already attract...Sir Delphos initiative in making something of the Assassin's guild is setting a GREAT example for playing this game (ad the guilds) via a modus operandi that keeps the game more fun than simply competitive sport-larping. I think you're also answering your own question. People see people organized and having fun, they will attract atention.

I think the guild system has the potential to help keep people in the game by motivating/invigorating certain parts of the player base.

Note that I am not saying that it can motivate all parts of the player base -- some parts will never be motivated by RP. But I have seen that a lot of new Assassin players hang around for longer than average (and some even stay forever -- q.v., Sutra) because of the involvement their guild creates.

The $64k question is how you could reasonably mimic the involvment that the Assassin's guild creates in other guilds -- there's nothing especially "secret" or "cool" about the other guilds.

I've taken the time to brainstorm what seems a logical Guild Plot to me, and here are the required elements:
1) Several (3-5) motivated, participating GMs that are willing to travel.
2) An RP plot that sets one guild against another, creating strong rivalries. Perhaps the distribution of Relics could be tied to this?
3) Buy-in and ... most importantly... EXCITEMENT from the populace. Advertise... motivate... entertain. This is the hardest part.
4) An influx of newbies would be helpful. Newbies come pre-motivated and pre-excited, and their enthusiasm is infectious for the rest of us jaded veterans. They will make the buy-in process so much easier. Perhaps we can to a Pirates of the Carribean demo or a Pathfinder demo (though something tells me Pathfinder will not be popular).

Perhaps the theme of the Rivalry and the Relic quests could be tied to the demos that are chosen. (Pirate quest, anyone?)

- Nicodemus 3:16

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:36 am 

So what if those interested in RP made up the bulk of the guild numbers, while Knights, Masters and other vet's both RP fanatics and not, make up the leadership? I'm sure that's a super redundant idea. And no, these 'RP' guilds cannot and will not be mandatory. Wanna stay on the fringers of RP and watch as flurbs hack out 'decent' rp. Cool. Just try to keep the whole, 'My grandma can roleplay your arse into the ground' snippets to a minimum.'

Movies to demo at?
Apocalypto
Curse of the Golden Flower
The Fountain
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Eragon
Azumi

Maybe guilds like:
Warrior's Brotherhood of Steel?
Barbarians Blood and Bone's?
Academia Arcanum's for the majick classes x 4?
Scout's Waymakers?
A Monster/NPC Squad
The Pal/A-Pal Shades of Gray
Archer's - Archus' Mark?
The Bard's Songs for Travelling
The Monks Sanctuary
The Troupe of Colour

What does the Knight's guild do besides sometimes gather to vote?

How are new knight's inducted and taught the guidelines of being a true knight of the realm? Is it supposed to be a given?

I'm thinking bringing back Guild Wars for relic quest's would be fun and may prove worth while cultivating interest in stronger, organized guild's.

So I hope those who intend on running for GM's do it for more than a title and will want to see their guild pick up productive speed and momentum!

Regards
S

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:28 am 

sutrasx";p="2778 wrote:
So what if those interested in RP made up the bulk of the guild numbers, while Knights, Masters and other vet's both RP fanatics and not, make up the leadership? I'm sure that's a super redundant idea. And no, these 'RP' guilds cannot and will not be mandatory. Wanna stay on the fringers of RP and watch as flurbs hack out 'decent' rp. Cool. Just try to keep the whole, 'My grandma can roleplay your arse into the ground' snippets to a minimum.'

Guru's..Masters...Knights...this has nothing to do with RP, and should only involve those interested, rather than involve prompting everyone to feel obligated because they are being made to feel it isnt enough to play the game and play the class.

I can count the number of Master Monks in this Kingdom on one hand...with good reason. I am interested in RP, to be sure, however part of being GM is having the ball, some of us play it exactly the way we want to. Here is my gameplan:
  1. Finish The Complete Monk v7.x
  2. Finished recruiting the strong participants in the guild (active players that want to get involved)
  3. Standardize Guild Heraldry (get all active members their nice belt favors (Phoser gets credit for this, he prompted me)
  4. Let the Guild involvement begin.

I am rebuilding the Guild organization and resource material first..then the class....then finally building the guild membership with the tools for success ready to go.

sutrasx";p="2778 wrote:
Movies to demo at?
Apocalypto
Curse of the Golden Flower
The Fountain
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Eragon
Azumi

I am game for any demo, guld or not, this will almost always be subject to individual availability, setting a standard for guild participation on this is too much work for the goal intended, lets keep the activities to game days forst...baby steps. in addition, I will personally obligate myself for the Eragon demo provided work doesnt get in the way, I have been waiting for that movie for three years. I strongly suggest reading them (Eragon/Eldest by John Paulini).

sutrasx";p="2778 wrote:
Maybe guilds like:
The Monks Sanctuary

The Brotherhood of the Hand takes offense to your meager attempts to label us with a different name.

sutrasx";p="2778 wrote:
I'm thinking bringing back Guild Wars for relic quest's would be fun and may prove worth while cultivating interest in stronger, organized guild's.

Making the relics guild-based is a very cool change, however the logistics of who gets primary rights to the relics afterwards is a big issue, not an unsolvable one, but still. Give monks the ability to wear the Mythril Chainmail and I might be inclined to get more motivated and help get it organized. Quid pro Quo.

I like the ideas, but my advise would be to take ONE of these ideas and make it a regular practice for our Kingdom as a goal rather than blitz the Kingdom with a whole plethora of confusion.

;)

Just my .02

[/align]

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:51 pm 

In reference to someone saying the guilds should have thier own forums, the Healer's guild does have one. And Typhus was really great at helping me when I first started out. But as a noob, I'd really like to see some rivalry between the guilds. I think it would bring alot to the game.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:45 pm 

I like the rivalry idea but we need guilds first. They shouldn't be a forced thing no. It should be totally up to the GM at the time whether or not he wants to further his class and make some enjoyable battlegames from it. Just remember, RP is fueled by conflict. The more conflict we have the more RP we have. And remember, it isn't just about the RP... You get to hit people in battlegames too.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:29 pm 

Bell";p="2796 wrote:
In reference to someone saying the guilds should have thier own forums, the Healer's guild does have one. And Typhus was really great at helping me when I first started out. But as a noob, I'd really like to see some rivalry between the guilds. I think it would bring alot to the game.

Pah! Inter-guild rivalry is for beginners. INTRA-guild rivalry is where it REALLY gets fun! :P

For example, what happens to K'tai if Typhus decides to ally the Healer's Guild with the Assassin's Guild and declare that nobody should be resurrected who was assassinated on a valid contract? I know many folks don't know K'tai very well, but even those relying on secondhand stories should know she's not likely to stand for such an order and will quite cheerfully defy it. In cases of conflict, she obeys authorities much higher than Typhus!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:47 pm 

As Guildmaster of Assassins, I feel that I may have had a "head start" on most of the other guilds.
The "Traditions" I bring to the Guild are things I was taught by the Creator of the Assassin Class, which I have brought to the forefront.

Other classes do not have such a Rich Heritage and an obvious difference in "Persona". When you don the Mask, you become the Class.

Other aspects of what I have done were largely inspired by Kafka and Rage. When I saw how they "Inducted" new Assassins into the Guild, I was taken back to the day when Grandmaster Theo brought me into the fold and began my teachings. I took what Kafka and Rage had begun, brought it to the next level and it worked.

I do not agree with the rational that all aspects of the Guild must be rigidly structured, or that only a few should become Master Assassins. My long term goal is to help shape the Future Masters of the Guild into those who will carry on the Traditions which I was taught. As many as I can inspire, the More the Better. That's all about "Roleplay", but it goes much deeper than that. Its about Respect and Honor for those who came before us and those who will follow in our footsteps.

I want the Initiates, Accolades and Apprentices to surpass me and my accomplishments and thereby make the Guild even stronger. I want them all to succeed and become Masters themselves.

As for the "Nifty" Belt Favors, I owe that to Master Sutra.
We shared the idea, but He made it happen.
Those Favors were actually pieces of his old Garb...
Now that is what I call... "putting your all" into making something happen.

As for "Guild Wars"... not pretty. I know I've been there.
I'm not sure when the last time the Guilds were "officially" set against each other, but the time I remember was long ago and Far away.
Each Guild had a Given set of Objectives to achieve for a given Relic.
A Relic "Quest" on an entirely different level...

As for "inter-guild" conflict...
Personally, I do not like "dissention" in the Ranks of The Guild.
It leads to breakdown and lack of Unity...
I've seen more than one group destroyed from within.

Oh... and on the Subject of Resurrecting someone who has been Officially "Assassinated"... Sorry No Dice...!!!
If they were "Assassinated" they Cannot be Resurrected anyway.
Too Bad, So Sad...!!!

This has been a Public Service Announcement from your Local Assassin's Guild...

Sir Delphos Darkheart 8)
Grandmaster Assassin
Guildmaster Emerald Hills Assassins

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:31 am 

Sir Delphos,

I think she was refering to someone who was killed by a member of your Guild with a Writ of Assissnation. Though if the Assassinate ability is used then it would not matter.

Everyone,

I came into leadership of the Healers Guild with little to no structure. What little I knew about it was that there are a few healers that might be interested. I play my class to the best of my ability and have had very little help from other healers in the Kingdom. K'Tai and Draeven were the biggest help to me in actualy plaing the class. I have seen several people show an interest in the class before I was the GM and most of them have gone to other classes because of the intracasies of playing any of the magic using classes. Not t omention a severe disadvantage until you reach 3rd level in them. My goal as GM of Healers is to bring some of these people back to the class. To help new players learn the basics of the magic system and the few things I have learned playing Healer. I want new players to see that Healers are needed on the feild and play an important role in quests and battle games. This Kingdom is woefully short on healers. During this past reign I have seen two new players enter the class. I have heard from 2 players wnating to test for 2nd level. On the master list of peolple who have tested I have 3 people other than myself, compared to almost double that number for the other magic classes (except wizerd). I am not saying I want everyone to play healers I would however like to see a few more.

Kracker Baron

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:42 pm 

Regarding Masterhood
There should be more Master Assassin's than monks IMHO. THere are fours assassins for every monk on the field usually.

I like the Masterhood being hard to achieve, and since the current Masters of Monks are very scarce I have made some preparations in resolving said issue, but I have no intention of giving a Masterhood title out without confidence that they exemplify the class.

Good example for Masterhood: Gabriel
  • Garb - consistent
  • Contributions to Class - lots, wrote to tests, served as GM etc etc.
  • Knows the class back and forth.
  • Does the player have reputation/infamy regarding how he plays the class? YES
Bad example of Masterhood: XXXX (he would get totally miffed about getting called out)
  • Garb - umm no...usually in underarmor and/or sport gear
  • Contributions to Class - none, got a masterhood somewhere while I was gone
  • Ignored at least three stipulation on playability of abilities on the field in the last battlegame I saw him play (during 7.0)
  • Does the player have reputation/infamy regarding how he plays the class? NOPE, has only played it once in the past three years.

Now between these two the right and wrong of masterhood is utterly clear and easy for recommendation purposes. unfortunately most of those seeking mastery are hardly so clear. I handle it as best I can with the given set of rules.

Regarding Recruitment
Recruiting for the Monk's Guild
Anyone actively playing the class is a member of the guild. Whether or not they choose to utilize the resources of the guild is another matter entirely.

The monk's guild is a very internal sect and wishes only to elevate its members into a state of higher conciousness. It is though this higher conciousness that we achieve enlightenment, and ultimately a truer understanding of the universe and how such knowledge may be applied in realizing our own individual goals and needs. To this end, we welcome newcomers, but one must be ready for the trials of being a monk, not casually interestted :)

[/align]

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard