Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:29 pm 

As one of the Flurb/Stick Jock wannabes....

What I miss are MASSIVE battlegames...best example is the Second ES/MWG siege..110 people on the field full battlegame scenario...the third was a let down, and since then there haven't been many battlegames ANYWHERE I've been to. Just a lot of politics (boring) and ditching..which while interesting, doesnt have the same factor

"Passion overrules Reason" wizard's rule #3 of the Terry Goodkind series "Sword of truth"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:16 pm 

Kenta RedHawk";p="361 wrote:
As one of the Flurb/Stick Jock wannabes....

What I miss are MASSIVE battlegames...best example is the Second ES/MWG siege..110 people on the field full battlegame scenario...the third was a let down, and since then there haven't been many battlegames ANYWHERE I've been to. Just a lot of politics (boring) and ditching..which while interesting, doesnt have the same factor

Come out to Finders Keep we have a Battle game nearly every week. Not always scenarios but almost always a BG of some sort.

Kracker Baron

Post subject: Re: Park Status
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:29 pm 

At the risk of being pounched on by my opponents in these matters, I have to say/ask...
Wonder why we haven't had those kind of numbers since then? :roll:

I believe that when the group as a whole, from the top down, support the "roleplay" aspect of the game... we have more people, who have more FUN!

People can talk all they want about how most players don't want RP. But, after almost 20 years of being in Amtgard, I can tell you this... Numbers go up when the game is fun for everyone. And the only way to get lots of players, is to have a good game, with something for both sides Stick & Flurb alike.

We don't grow by just trenching, but we also don't grow by sitting around just pretending to be in a LARPG, or sitting at our computers and bitching at each other over our differences.

We "GROW" by building together a common story, where Swordsmen of Skill and Valor meet Wizards of Great Power... where Assassins stalk the woods and Monsters lurk in every dark corner.

I disagree that we haven't had Role Play in years...
Kings, Queens and Knights are "roleplay". The Court itself is "roleplay". In forgetting the titles that have been earned, the positions that are held and the "proper respect" that is suppose to be given to those in High Office, we loose a good portion of that very "roleplay" that sets us apart from any sport in the mundane world.

Even as recent as when Kenta is talking about, back in McFadden's reign there was "organized" RP being posted and played. I say "organized" with a grain of salt, but none the less, it was out there and it was working.

No, Amtgard will never be what it was to me, in the "old days". But, I have seen the magic time and time again... in sparks of creativity and cooperation between players who normally never agree.

Everyone can make a difference. Everyone can "play a part", without having to be "an Actor", some are just better at playing themselves. The point is, that each of us make up the magic and we can make it better than it ever was in the "old days", but we can't forget what makes us different from the mundane and we have to keep that part of us alive.

Delphos 8)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:10 pm 

First off its roleplay not "rollplay". The second one involves a lot od D20's and a longsword+5 :D. Every roleplaying game needs a setting and a plot. Writing adventures for a tabletop rpg is time consuming. For a larp it's twice as bad. Monster garb, props, write ups for monsters, maps, background stories ect.... this takes a lot of time for one person. Doing this every week is a daunting task. Too many people writing story lines and trying to run adventures destroys continuity from week to week. At FK it generally falls to the park champion to write and run any quest for the reign. Perhaps each park's monarchy could appoint a group of three people (one from each officer, or maybe the officers themselves) to organize roleplay for the reign. Write storylines, review adventure ideas submitted by players, review persona histories of players, build props, maintain a collection of monster garb ect. Roleplay needs to happen at a park level to keep those interested in this aspect of the game coming out week after week. As for attendace I believe my parks relatively high numbers can be attributed to a lack of competition. Wichita Falls has no HFS group, no NERO, no IFGS, and our local SCA group has dwindled to near nothing. We are quite literally the only game in town. Demos and flyiers are as rare here as they are in the metroplex. I would love to see a strong recruitment push kingdom wide. I will start in my own back yard (metaphorically - we have had trouble with this being done literally :P)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:27 pm 

Greydon";p="366 wrote:
Perhaps each park's monarchy could appoint a group of three people (one from each officer, or maybe the officers themselves) to organize roleplay for the reign. Write storylines, review adventure ideas submitted by players, review persona histories of players, build props, maintain a collection of monster garb ect. Roleplay needs to happen at a park level to keep those interested in this aspect of the game coming out week after week.

Great idea perhaps get those same people to coordinate with each other and people on a Kingdom level to make the storylines mesh i.e. what happens at each individual pak effect what happens at Kingdom Visits and Events. Just my 2 cents.

Kracker Baron

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:10 am 

There is one factor that limits our role play. Game design. Unlike some other LARPs, deaths in our game are meaningless. Storylines do not drive the games. Our leadership changes 2 times a year.

Games with stronger role play (like NERO) are centered on it. The leadership is the same unless said leader quits the game or moves. Camping events are IC only.

Now we can have role-play (maybe not to that extent) but we have to find a way to mesh it into our system. I have only been in the game 13 years. But in that time I have not seen a truely role-play oriented event. I am working on some idea to try it, but there is one factor beyond my control: buy in.

We could arrange a great RP event, but people coming to the event have to buy into it. So even if person X can't stand person Y, if Person Y is a Duke and person X is a peasant, then Person X should not be rude or pull a sword near person Y.

By the same token if Person Y abuses his status, the peasants should stage a revolt.

If people would be willing to play along, we could try something along these lines with 24 of role play and a tavern and all sorts of good quests.

IF we can get people to buy into it....

p.s. And yes the trench field would stay a trench field for ooc time so no one is forced to role play.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:42 am 

On another note, I don't see why people are arguing that demoting park status is exclusive of building park numbers.

I can see that the Duchies do not have the numbers (and haven't for a long time) and so I see the need to bring the status of the parks in line with the population. That does not mean that I am not con-currently working to increase the population so that the park can once again be a Duchy.

These to me are 2 seperate issues. One deals with not allowing a small population to have the power of a Duchy, the other deals with efforts to recruit new players.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard