Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard

Post subject: Class Guilds
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:39 pm 

I was just wondering about class guilds.

What's the whole point of having a class guild?

Besides the Assassin Guild, is there any other guild out there that is recruiting and passing down any knowledge or training to the incomming participants?

Why or why not, have guilds worked/failed in the past?

When was the last strong guild in the EH functional?

Do we need class guilds or would upstarting guilds help the newbies of the game get some much needed insight?

Would strong, active guilds help with player inflow to the kingdom as well?

Theese are the things I'd like to know.

Regards
S

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post subject: Re: Class Guilds
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:30 pm 

Trying to work on ti with the Healers Guild just not a whole lot of them out there.

Kracker Baron

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:17 am 

You could (theoretically) have quests based on guild interaction, or have subplots in quests that have to do with certain guilds...

I can help you brainstorm a few ideas, if you're looking to get class guilds rolling agin. :)

- Nicodemus 3:16

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:19 am 

it's sad, you only hear about one guild nowadays.... so how the heck am i supposed to get it organixed when i cant get ahold of the gm of warriors?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:34 am 

Thanks much Nick for the offer and I will be taking you up on it!

Tobias,
Have you pmed Elder from this site? If so and still no response, I'll let him know you're attempting to get in touch with him.

And you're right, it's sad to only hear about one active guild.

I just want to know if the current GM's are willing to work with current members to revive old guild guidelines or just start over.

Something to start working on I suppose.
S

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:06 pm 

One issue is that there is little involvement in RP beyond those who have been coordinating it for events. Plus, people's loyalties lie more in their friendships and in what company they are in than in bonding with their guild.

If there were more RP activities involving the guilds you might see more from them.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:30 pm 

funny I have been complaining about the fact that I had little help when I first started as a Bard. Now I will admit that part of that may have been that I did not have the ability to make it to Kingdom level activates and we only had one person in our park who played bard. I have been working with those in my park that are playing bard and since coming online I have been able to speak with other bards. I would personally love to hear about more guilds. I think it would help with the RP. More than anything though it would make it so that when a member of a guild has a question they would know who to turn to. I would love to see different forums pertaining to the different guilds so that we could ask questions of our guild without letting everyone else know what we are up to :lol:. I hope to see the guilds coming back to life soon, it would be a great help to those parks who don't have an active player in a specific class.

Mysteri

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:44 pm 

that's one reason i like our park.. i admit it's a bit assassin heavy, but the only classes people dont play are paladin and anti-paladin... we got no knights here.......and i knly know of one person who plays pally.....never seen anyone else play pally...

Post Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:13 pm 

{Personal Response - OOC}

Most people come into this game having a semi clear idea of the class type they want to play that is heavily influenced by whatever RPG etc that originally got them interested in the game.

I like to help people that want to help themselves. This is not only me, but also goes for how Sirrakhis plays his cards as well. Now also keep in mind that while I am totally gung ho about greeting and giving people the "big recruitment speech" I have numerous terms of service in this position and from experience, new people rarely prefer to play monk right off the bat, as it has very little flare and even worse, is restricted in both arms and armor. Between guilds that NEED more participation, (et al - magic users) and peer preference (et al - Well Queen Reine plays XXX, I should too!) the Monk rarely comes out as the first choice.

The monk as a class requires also that the person know more than the basic combat system to play without massive amounts of mistakes. This also lends to it being the second or third class a player gets interested in, and inso the players rarely needs direct tutelage from the GM in order get his game on.

I had the pleasure of serving as this Kingdom's GM of Monks for some time without any household or company affiliation, and in that time, we held a Monk's ranking tourney to determine true mastery levels (aka you couldn't get recommended for Mastery unless all the Class masters from EH agreed...just like some dojos)..etc...etc. The fact is that it was fun, and I have every intention of incorporating that back into the game schema as I move forward with promoting the class.

But all of the above is on my own schedule, and as such, it may take me more than one term to get everyone motivated ;)
>>>>>>>>>>

<<<Now for the RP Part>>

[font=Arial]Please [you], allow me to answer your question directly regarding our Honorable Guild.

We teach only the dedicated. Man and Beast are (and always will be) subject to their Will. Should a man wish to learn our Way, I (and other Masters) will be happy to make known that which was not. Before following Us on a journey however, the person MUST be very self aware. We do not hide ourselves in armor, we do not explore Magick. We walk a Holy Path, and consider ourselves explorers on path to a Higher Consciousness.

While there are many accomplished of our order in this esteemed Kingdom, there are very few that can claim Mastery (with good reason too, many trip where their feet should not touch ground). In this we shall again begin the trials of Mastery, in which the Masters again shall unanimously recommend those uniquely qualified individuals for the rank of Master.

Should you feel you're ready for this test, please see me at your earliest convenience.

Members of the Emerald Hills' Monk's Guild that are in good standing (ie - active per the ORK) may expect to be included in the tests for masters, as well as invited to compete in the seasonal rankings.[/font]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There. now I am going back to my normally scheduled coding.

Have a nice day. And seriously let me know if your need anything from the Monk's Guild.

Your Friendly Neighborhood GM of Monks.

[/align]

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:15 am 

*blink*blink* did I say something that I didn't know I said?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:13 am 

Sorry I am having problems with this site and firefox right now as I posted in the technical forum.

My personal view on the state of the guilds due to my observations is: Very few guilds have an inherent reason for existing. Outside of the specific exceptions in the rulebook and corpora(GM Reeves GM Monsters and GM Knights) the mundane purpose of the Guildmaster is to regulate the guild members, (validate their levels or restrict them if neccesary), recommend for masterhood, and suggest or review clarifications or rules changes to their class. That does not require much structured involvement. There has to be some other reason for existing in order to spur Guild specific activity. There are a few examples of these reasons: The Assassin guild regulates assassinations, the Monsters guild makes sure monsters are played properly and don't overpower a game, the Knights guild votes on inducting new members, the Reeves guild can vote on rules clarifications and of course makes sure Reeves are fair and unbiased to run Battlegames.

Outside of those reasons the guilds really don't have much to do outside of roleplaying. And if you were to orgainize your class around a roleplaying reason you will have the issue of those members that don't roleplay.

I don't think that much is lost from Guilds not being very active, as there are other venues for orgainized participation. I could see a sort of training dojo arrangement work well inside a guild to instruct new members in the finer points of their class. But it couldn't be manditory, and thus it is subject to the whims of voluntary participation. I can see the point of interaction between a guild member and their Guild Master, but I dont see the point for interguild interaction. (outside of roleplaying)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:27 am 

wickett";p="2686 wrote:
*blink*blink* did I say something that I didn't know I said?

No, Sirrakhis is using a bracket device that enters the name of the person logged on into the text. It confused me also until I tried to quote his text and saw the code

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:33 am 

<<evil grin>>

[/align]

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:59 am 

?? Now I am confused. When did I become part of this conversation?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:16 am 

I though my post may not have addressed your inquiry appropriately, so I will be direct.

Quote:
What's the whole point of having a class guild?

Resources on class play are essential in this game. Contact points for How-To's are essential as well. Roleplay aspects notwithstanding, every class should have an accomplished point of contact for their class in this game, whether or not its viewed as necessary by an individual doesnt withstand the need for said resource.

Quote:
Besides the Assassin Guild, is there any other guild out there that is recruiting and passing down any knowledge or training to the incomming participants?

I do not recruit in the manner you suggest, as I stated above, as experience had led me to simply allow them to come to the Monks Guild, so or later...they always do...;)

Quote:
Why or why not, have guilds worked/failed in the past?

Failure only occurred when logistic needs of many kept people from playing what they wanted. Not from any specific program or initiative set by myself or any other guildmaster to my knowledge...with the exception of the 7.0 roll-out, which I consider to be an utter failure regarding adequate testing for levels. Too many peeps dont know enough of their class to get by nowadays..there are exceptions...but not many.

Quote:
When was the last strong guild in the EH functional?

Delphos has always had a good handle on this aspect of the game, he's been in the position of GM numerous times over a very large span of time and has always maintained a functional guild. The guilds are run by the GM's though, not the rulebook or corpora...insomuch that the GM pretty much has the opportunity to build upon his guild or simply sit back and do nothing...either way, it IS his prerogative.

Quote:
Do we need class guilds or would upstarting guilds help the newbies of the game get some much needed insight?

I would say no, simply because I have already found one hell of a successful medium for aclimating newbies to the game. Whenever one of the newbies of my Household ask for specific training on an area, if I havent already done so, I approach the topperson in the field and ask that they give some input to the player.

Quote:
Would strong, active guilds help with player inflow to the kingdom as well?

I think a focus from this perspective would actually detract from the greater need of simply keeping the interest of the new people we already attract...Sir Delphos initiative in making something of the Assassin's guild is setting a GREAT example for playing this game (ad the guilds) via a modus operandi that keeps the game more fun than simply competitive sport-larping. I think you're also answering your own question. People see people organized and having fun, they will attract atention.

[/align]

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard