Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:11 am 

To celebrate EagleShire turning 20 I'd like to run a tabard making contest.

Challenge: make a tabard incorporating the EagleShire symbol. Items should be good for fighting garb. This is a chance to use up some of your fabric stash if you want. The ES symbol doesn't have to be the focal point, just needs to be on there somehow.

I'd like to give artisans in our kingdom a chance to show off, so tabards will be displayed for everyone to admire and vote for their favorite. Scores will be tallied and there will be an award for best in show. Other awards will be awarded for excellent workmanship (up to 3rd level, we're only a shire after all...)

Somewhere in the planning process, we came up with the idea that getting the non-A&S focused Amtgardians excited about their fellow players entering competitions could be encouraged if they receive some tangible benefit from such. This could also help with some of the discussions about "we should have better garb on the ditch field, and at park in general"

So we're going to hold a fighting tournament the same day. The winners of such will have pick of the tabards donated 1st place gets 1st pick and so on till we're out of tabards. The Sherriff and I will be making 3 tabards so that at the least we have the top three in the competition getting a tabard, but we would love all the donations we can get.

Just because you enter the competition does not mean that you are donating the tabard. When you enter it for competition just let me know if you want to donate it. All donations would be greatly appreciated both by the park and the people who are receiving the tabard.

People are welcome to enter both sides of the competition.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:20 am 

October 7th, park starts around 2

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:43 am 

When you say tabard, do you mean the "dress" looking style shirts or like my brown and blue thing?

And where can someone find the ES symbol?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:41 am 

i'm talking about the rectangle with a hole for the head, sides open. doesn't offer much creativity for the shape design (seen some that aren't quite a rectangle, which is perfectly valid), but the decoration of such is up to your creativity, doing something interesting with the edges, other decorations, colors...

As for the symbol there's one here: http://amtwiki.net/amtwiki/index.php/Eagleshire and there's this one that i got from somewhere.
Attachment:
26366_118313841518746_100000203925560_295208_6841294_n.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:25 am 

A tabard (from the French tabarde) was originally a humble outer garment of tunic form, generally without sleeves, worn by peasants, monks and foot-soldiers, including Chaucer's ploughman. In this sense, the first Oxford English Dictionary citation is 1300CE. In the late Middle Ages tabards, now open at the sides and so usually belted, were worn by knights over their armour, and usually emblazoned with their arms (though sometimes worn plain). The Oxford English dictionary first records this use in English in 1450. In this meaning they were apparently distinguished from surcoats by being open at the sides, and by being shorter. These became an important means of battlefield identification with the development of plate armor as the use of shields declined.

Tunic's - Following the fall of the Roman empire, the tunic continued to be worn with varying sleeve and hem lengths throughout Europe during the Middle Ages. Often reaching the knees or ankles, it was usually worn over underclothes consisting of a shirt (usually hip-length or longer) and drawers (usually knee- or ankle-length pants related to braccae). It may be accompanied by hose. Wool and Linen were common fabrics used, though the wealthy sometimes wore fancy silk tunics, or a lesser fabric with silk trim. Germanic tunic of the 4th Century, A.D. found at the Thorsberg moorTunics worn during the Early Middle Ages often featured decorative embroidery or tablet-woven braids along the neck, hem and wrists. This was the case, for instance, with tunics worn by both rich and poor Anglo-Saxons before the Norman Conquest.

Tabard = open sides

Tunic = closed sides.

Circle Tunic = the dress looking Tunic.

Other than that....

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:05 am 

Hey Elder... when are we getting that "like" button installed?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:50 pm 

Thanks for walking us through the history of it Nev :)

and i agree with Tigger.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:22 pm 

As soon as I find a good module for it.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:52 pm 

Sounds like a blast waiting to happen! Let me know how I can help!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:16 pm 

just use your amazing charm to get people to enter, including yourself ;)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:30 am 

wallflower wrote:
just use your amazing charm to get people to enter, including yourself ;)

Satyr charm........ That explains soooooooooooo much!!!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:28 pm 

I hope somebody likes pink. >;D

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:28 pm 

Pink???

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:31 pm 

LOL, I will do the best I can!

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard