Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard

Post Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:23 am 

1.) The board only meets once per month, this means that members on the board often must work on things independently between meetings. This often means serving on committees and doing other tasks to ensure the kingdom can move forward. Can you provide examples on how you will manage teams of people, and work tasks to completion without having external oversight of your work?

2.) The BOD have the primary function of caring for the business aspects of the kingdom. What skills do you possess that make you a good fit for the position?

3.) Covid-19 has severely decreased activity within the kingdom, and that has had an impact on the bottom line. Fundraising has always an important aspect of keeping the coffers from emptying. How will you approach fundraising, and what other steps would you encourage your fellow board members to pursue to increase profitability of the kingdom?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:46 pm 

1.) The board only meets once per month, this means that members on the board often must work on things independently between meetings. This often means serving on committees and doing other tasks to ensure the kingdom can move forward. Can you provide examples on how you will manage teams of people, and work tasks to completion without having external oversight of your work?

In Mundane life I am a food service manager which demanding output of product, while at work I coordinate multiple stations and with the staff to produce the optimum efficiency every shift whilst proactively completing secondary tasks that need to be done.

As for Amtgard, I have served not only park monarchy positions but also served a few times as Gatecrat/Co-Crat and coordinated with the volunteers on how to process entries into kingdom events including World Banner Wars.

2.) The BOD have the primary function of caring for the business aspects of the kingdom. What skills do you possess that make you a good fit for the position?

Beyond what was stated in the answer for question 1, I am efficient in spreadsheets and data analysis (example of this was looking up players in the ORK to help Reign 67 Monarchy start gauging Orders of Battle for the Kingdom).

3.) Covid-19 has severely decreased activity within the kingdom, and that has had an impact on the bottom line. Fundraising has always an important aspect of keeping the coffers from emptying. How will you approach fundraising, and what other steps would you encourage your fellow board members to pursue to increase profitability of the kingdom?

Periodically opening of DP4L (Dues Paid for Life) would help in specific instances of low income, however general fundraising like trivia nights from the GMR (to gain Reeve/Corpora qualification), dollar gladiator tournies by the Champion, and A&S auctions by the Regent could help overall and could be more regular in frequency.

Likewise I am open to converse with others on the board for any ideas they bring and provide feedback if I have any for them.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:18 pm 

Managing a team of people requires consistency. It requires doing exactly what you say you will do in the manner that you say you will do it along with the time frame that you provide. Up until this point I've proven that when I say I will do something, I do it. I involve everyone so voices can be heard. Clarity is a must, and compromise is the only option most of the time. Keeping topics on track, timely check-ins with members, and the willingness to change a course is the key to efficient solutions. I do these things daily in my personal leadership roles so I am familiar with rubrics and objectives for tasks to be completed. The voice of the organization requires integrity in management. I aim to keep that voice clear.

I am persistent if nothing else. I think in terms of criteria, steps, and open dialogue. I focus on all aspects of a task so all bases are covered and I am not afraid to ask the hard questions. I am brave enough to think outside a box when the flowchart is not working. I organize well, follow through with my assignments, assist where I am needed and support the content of reasonable communication. I am responsible for data, due dates, crunch times, and confidential information daily. I have managed teams of 21 people in the past and have supervisory and team lead experience, and I have trained others to become better at their jobs while serving in the same position as myself.

Consistency. Brainstorming. Follow through. Action.
These things must first be in place for any fundraising to happen.
The team has a responsibility to care enough so that things get done.
Scheduled discussions, kept schedules, and knowledge of what is allowed has to be the foundation. There are three states to consider. Reaching out to the populace is critical. Ideas flow from these genius minds and big things are possible.
I will not list "my ideas" for fundraising. I have done that and the ideas never made it. So, I hold that it is the TEAM that should work together with all of its pieces - the arm, the foot, the leg, the hand, the head, in order to accomplish the mission of building up the kingdom.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:27 pm 

I have served as a kingdom monarch before, many aspects of what goes into that role involve setting up groups of people to complete tasks as well as doing your own research and work on those tasks. However I feel like this is asking about more mundane examples of how you can do your job without oversight or hand holding. On that front I have worked as a Special Education Teacher in a behavioral classroom setting managing anywhere from two to four other adult assistants. Everything done has strict rules, guidelines and deadlines. I set up and monitored different goals (IEPs) for each student and tracked their progress daily. You have to be able to set a pace that you will be able to handle on your own with consistency.

I think any of the legal aspects in dealing with Special Education would apply somewhat here. I have also served on the BoD in another kingdom and had to deal with things like NDA's and discussing npo statuses. The business side of things tends to be the less than fun things that allow us all to keep having fun with the game side.

Being a consistent person at your park will always help. By being out, you help the game look like its fun to newcomers and show those that have stopped coming that people are still playing after or during the pandemic we've been in. When people are showing up, some will pay dues and that is a help. Other things can be to have a donation raffle or auction set up to be run with the money raised going to the kingdom. Not everything in those has to be full kits and elaborate garb. Things like sashes and spell strips tend to be something we all end up losing from time to time and need another. Fundraising isnt always a fast process, often it takes some time to build up ideas, participation and enthusiasm, but if we're all on board to do something, then we can reach those goals.

Sir Worrak Darkedge

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:59 am 

Though the board only meets once per month, I have never imagined that to mean that they only communicate once each month. Communication is among the most important facets of leading a team, so fostering an open channel of communication between all points will be important. As will setting clear goals and keeping myself and my peers accountable throughout the process. That accountability cannot be leveraged without building the proper relationships to allow it. Along with that, the same sense of responsibility and accountability should see any tasks done, oversight or not.

A willingness to learn how to grow into the position. I've never sat on a BOD before. Sure, I have been on student councils and other such committees, and can bring some of those lessons of collaboration and organization to the table, but I cannot say for certain that they would serve the same. I have been in management in retail, I have been a member of the armed forces, but I cannot say for certain that any of that is the same. I can say that the combination of these experiences should give me a solid and adaptable platform upon which to build. That adaptability, along with the desire to use it to learn, to listen, to leave the places and things that I briefly get to touch better than I found them, are among the best qualities I bring to any group I'm part of.

Frankly, I'm not sure. I'm the least sure about this, actually. I'd love to just throw out 'bake sale' or something, but I'm sure there are some things we would have to know and pitfalls to avoid surrounding our legal status as a business, and I don't currently know that information. I can try to learn about it, though. I'm sure that at least one of my peers will have ideas that need appropriate feedback and action, discussions and action I will happily and dutifully participate in. I'll be on the lookout for new opportunities and also ways in which I can leverage the experience and strengths that I do have to support the team effort.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:44 am 

Delegation and clear communication and periodic follow up are key. As a manager of what amounts to multiple departments moving in different directions, you have to work with and rely on your teams. As far as experience goes, before going into business with my wife in our own company, I managed 5 different departments in the 2d largest ATM manufacturers and servicers in the world. From Fleet management, to Third Level help desk, to an international retail help desk. Within each of these departments I managed multiple individual projects involving 1000+ locations and units.
Within Amtgard, I’ve managed parks from Shire to Duchy, with several Lions for helping mentor and develop leadership in new players, a skill which I think we will need going forward, to ensure we have solid leadership in the future.

As mentioned above, I manage my own business with my wife, and have expanded successfully through freeze, pandemic, and shortages of critical components. Also, I’ve spent years in management and project management, in fields ranging from IT to Concrete, to Loss Prevention. The skills necessary to run a successful business translate across the board, and I’ve had decades of developing them.

I’ve made no bones about this in previous statescraft questions. This isn’t an area where I excel, but I believe that identifying people who are good at identifying areas where we can be successful at identifying opportunities. Personally, I think fleshing out a matrix of what areas are off limits due to tax filing status and specific exclusions, and then working with our local park leadership within those constraints to develop opportunities would go a long ways towards success.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » General Amtgard