Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:11 am 

I like role-play. If that makes me a flurb to some then... ok. I also, however, dislike bad role-play. I think a lot of what we see is bad, or disjointed, and does not lend itself to be added to by others.

To me, the idea of role-play is to get more people involved. but when role-play threads are cryptic, or become grander than life (i.e. making your character in the post far more adept/powerful/important than your character in the game actually is) it detracts from the purpose of role play and makes others less likely to join in, and more likely to continue the theory that role-play = flurbs.

I'd like to make the role play better and get more people involved.

Thought...ideas...comments?

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:08 pm 

Yes im sorry about my post Its been fixed but if any body else has any suggestions for me, PM me Ill look into it. also I agree that more people should be involved in roleplay I know most of the stick jocks wont join in there just here to hit people but to any one out there who wants to enjoy amtgard just a little bit more talk to someone about roleplaying with them.
Remember its just a game

4. Genghis Khan
Honor the great generals of old

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:40 pm 

I just want to note that while Thangorn's post reminded me of this topic, it was not directed at him. This was something I had talked about on the forums previously when some people were grossly exaggerating their characters.

The comments I made about your RP post were not meant to be inflamitory, just an observation on role play continuity.

Thangorn, you are doing a good job by supporting role-play efforts on-line. I applaud your contributions.

Puppet Master of the EH

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:29 am 

i roleplay all the time its just when certain people do it all the time it is taken for granted that that is actually their character. Sad really when you think of it. that people cant destinguish acting from real life. I mean you people don't really think i run around acting like this in real life do you? Ofcourse i come from a differant time priod of Amtgard when this was how things were done and i have always strived to return amtgard to what it once was because it was fun. Some where along the line that mentality was lost. Now everyone thinks that there is a need for real enemies and lines drawn in the sand over some silly whim. Or they get caught up in the he said she said bullshit. Sure there are a lot of people in this game that i have no great love for but i don't actively set out to do them harm. What gets me in trouble is because i won't let them do it to me. Sorry owner of a backbone aisle 5. the deal with todays role-play is as you said forrest ......everyone has to have this huge godlike character that no one can beat. that is truley the problem otherwise known as ego......or in this case super-ego(superman music in the background) people need to remember that this is not dungeons and dragons and the dm is not out to get you or your character sheet. this is a LIVE ACTION ROLE PLAY with no actual death to your character. That is the reason why their is no reason to be upset when you die. And even if their was wouldn't you and don't you get bored with a character after awhile anyways? I know i do but it is futile to try and change characters because all any one would remember would be the charcter you have played for so long. but yeah more realistic role-play with open endings would be nice. That way other people could get involved with certain storylines not only flurbs enjoy roleplay. I am a stick-jock role player and i believe both elements is what makes this game. my opinion ofcourse but i am allowed to have it.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:13 am 

Your right Fytakin that is your opinion but people who act like that need to realize its just a game. In my post I did seem like I was a bit full of my self I'm not going to make an excuse for it but I did change it. If your saying that people shouldn't roleplay at events I disagree. If your saying people shouldn't be told while there roleplaying to tell some one this or tell some one that, I agree people should roleplay them selfs not let other people do it for them. Now if they start to act like a god who cant be stoped no matter what you do they should be stoped and told there making an ass of them selfs.

4. Genghis Khan

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:38 am 

in your post you seemed plainly spoken to me. As far role-playing at events, i get in trouble for it, but i still do it to me that is part of the fun.....hehe. And as far as telling people they are making an ass out of themselves. who are we to judge? aren't we all makeing an ass out of ourselves. and we are really makeing an ass out of ourselves as well by judgeing people on what we see of them in a game atmosphere. I think you missed my point but that is okay sometimes i am easy to misinterput. not to mention my spelling sucks. I am merely saying that this game has to have good and evil and neutral to be fun. there are alot of people that think the game is no fun unless everyone gets along........pipedream, won't happen but there is nothing wrong with respecting your enemy. I personally cant stand the justicar way of doing things but they are good fighters when they don't let their egos get the best of them. my crew is not a bunch of fighters but we do do a lot for the land and the game. others are primarily role-play which i can respect as we have our fair share of that as well. i beleive to be a good Amtgardian you must be well rounded take a stab at all aspects of the game. Ofcourse you are not going to be good at all of them but atleast take the chance. As far as people telling me how to act.........when they show me how they are better than anyone else, only then will i listen. And just because someone wears a white belt don't mean much to me. In fact i find them to be a little to full of themselves because of that belt usually. But that is not to say that all knights are that way. being that quite a few of them are really good and trusted friends of mine.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:12 pm 

Seeing as how I'm only 13 I probably did misinterpret what you said. :?

4. Genghis Khan

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:41 pm 

13! aren't you the pm? you are talking about Amtgard years i hope.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:05 pm 

All right! I've read all the posts! and this is what I have to say. Yes. I think it would be good to have a whistler blower that signifies the beging of the game (role play, cause we're characters... you know.). and, I now declare myself Knight of the Sword, Zig the Furious, Burner of all Things Unholy, Destroyer of Pomp, Decimater of Nevron's Legs, Defeater of Dyokken, Double Arm Chop Severe of Leif, The wide arc against Tunear, Side step push decrying Brennon, none of your family is beyond attack.

It is just common sense to follow your heart in these matters. None of you can say I'm wrong. Cause if you do.... You're a cunt and a grave robber!

Take it away if you can!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:06 pm 

No I'm not a pm I'm just thangorn...I just make myself known Ive only been in Amtgard for a year and a half now I do believe.

4. Genghis Khan

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:49 am 

i am sorry thangorn i mistook you for someone else.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:44 pm 

I appreciate your point to encourage good role-play Sir Forest. I now share some thoughts and comments.

Sutra is more a loon that anything else, he is not a god. He is not a mystical demon ninja or angelic hero. Most of his visions and revelations are induced by passive lunacy. The funniest part is that he's not aware of it. I posted Sutra's bio and it covers some of that in vague detail.

Any of the outlandish stunts he tends to pull off are things like sitting in tree's, leaping into dark pits without even checking for traps and getting knocked out by a well placed punch to the temple. Sutra bleeds and cries like any other mortal. He's been outsmarted, tricked, beaten, and bested by others. Though he is a master assassin, it doesn't imply he is arrow-proof.

He can't see in the dark, he can't smell peoples fear, don’t read minds. He can occasionally sense people’s intent and read into sarcastic innuendo. He prefers a bow to laying traps.

I write a lot of the role-play as he sees it. It is sometimes hard to read, that's how it fleshes out the character. He isn't easy to follow but everything comes into place in the end. So, if someone was bored and wanted to piece all my role-play together over a season, it all sizes up. It's been called cryptic, but I enjoy laying background stories, helps establish the ambiance this reign’s role-play is supposed to have.

I think I write in 'code' to keep oochish info out of potential in-game use. It's all meant to be presented in phases and not outright. I have in the past asked for assistance, looked for specific people, needed an answer here and there and tend to end up empty handed.

I thank you Sir Forest for having jumped in and I hope you don't mind me joining in on the thread. It helped jumpstart interaction between us. I don't like auto'ing for anyone and prefer to allude to requesting his or her involvement, etc. I have spoken to a few others and will still be getting with even more people to post regarding this campaign and hope they will continue the movement towards kingdom wide role-play.

With that, I wonder if you would like to get with other seasoned veterans of role-play and give us young whippersnappers a lesson or two on how it's done.

Regards
S

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:51 pm 

ooh ooh im a veteran as a whipper snapper

4. Genghis Khan

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:10 am 

I wouldn't say i was a veteran, or that older role-players were better than newer ones. i don't mean to come off as better than others at this or as an overly critical bore.

I just have my view on what role play (online) is for. To me it is a way to set up the next quest through your character. A way to put things in place so that when we fight a dragon or army of orcs, plead with a dryad or brownie, solve a puzzle or fallinto a trap, we have some reason why it is happening.

Some role-play (IMO) seems overly cryptic and deters others from joining in because they don't understand where it is heading or what it is about. Other role-play is so over done that you expect to meet the person playing the character and that they will be 10' tall and have 30 Warlords.

Role-play for the hell of it, i.e. role-play that is just for character development but not for tie in to the current events in the game, is fun and should be encouraged. but people should know that is what it is. Role-play designed to foster others to join in, should be themed and easy to follow, but not necessarily transparent. there should be missing pieces and private messages to people of secret information.

I guess i just want more people to role play and I am typing my thoughts on how we can help that to happen. Again, sorry if I came off overbearing before, I was just trying to see if people were/wanted to be, on the same page as far as the role play goes.

Puppet Master of the EH

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:44 am 

Sir Forest,

Read your post and am inspired. I'd like to ensure that roleplay becomes all inclusive for as many folk as possible and I will try a different approach starting today. (Not being sarcastic.)

Thanks again!
S

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing