Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:48 pm 

Treasure of the Peasant King

Chapter 1

The support beams of the old hovel groaned and creaked as the wind blew around Eniad through the holes found sporadically throughout the walls. The repairs had not gone as well as he would have liked after the goblin attack on Artus Pass. Too many of the carpenters and other craftsmen had been killed in the onslaught leaving very few journeymen around lost in their art. He had tried using his mending spells on certain items and at times had great success but now looking up at his swaying roof had second thoughts. Eniad counted his blessings that he was able to keep the important documents of the Shire safe but those were small blessings considering the death certificates he has had to sign in the aftermath. Sutra had sent a runner early this morning to summon him to the town hall. As he gathered his belongings he stared off in the distance for a brief moment to gather arcane energies to have just in case. He knew this would be important the Shade does not get up this early for just any reason.

As Eniad entered the Hall he saw that it was crowded from wall to wall. Most of the remaining populace of Artus Pass must be at this gathering. He saw Shadowhawk in the back corner of the room gazing through the crowd. Thorgar was standing beside the Sheriff at his usual security position. Grunk was even here at the front of the crowd waiting unusually patient. Lucinda and Lily made their way through the crowds trying to make everyone as comfortable as possible. Off in the darkest corner far away from the crowd as possible Zom-Zom sat waiting to carry news back to his undead master. Rory stood by the door uncomfortable with being indoors much less with a crowd of people. Eniad could see that the new face of the Pass had shown. The mighty O stood in the center of the crowd stalwart as ever. Eniad could also see some friendly faces from the neighboring Midnight Sun also. Flint the Barbarian and Fate the Druid had come to help the rebuilding after the assault.

Sutra stood and the crowd hushed to listen to what news had brought them all into town. Eniad Took his seat at the council table as Sutra began:
“The King has called for all able bodied fighters to report to Mourningwood Glen for an urgent task.
“What does the Peasant King want this time?” Eniad asked from the end of the table.
“Apparently,” Sutra continued, “ the coffers of the Emerald Hills are low and he is seeking adventurers to go out and help fill it with treasures that he has scouted out.”
“Gladly,” came Eniad's retort. “perhaps it will be enough to finally clothe our King.”
The Hall erupted into fits of laughter.“Doubt it,” said a voice from somewhere in the crowd. Many had witnessed the King attend his own coronation in peasants clothing. Eniad was one of them. As the laughter faded Sutra continued.
“Be that as it may. The Kingdom needs our help. I urge that any of you who can go please do. I can not there are too many pressing concerns here that I must attend to and I know this to be true for many of you. The assault wiped out a lot of homes and farmlands. Those must be rebuilt in time for spring planting. I ask now that everyone who will not be reporting to Mourningwood Glen to head back to their homes and projects so that I may discuss important matters with those who are going. Eniad stood and began to walk towards the door back to his hovel.
“Eniad, the kingdom really needs your help. I ask that you personally attend as a representative for Artus Pass. Let them know that we are hear for the kingdom regardless of who is on the throne.” Sutra said. Knowing that his Sheriff was right and that the kingdom needed him and feeling honored to stand as a representative of his new home Eniad turned back and took his seat at the table again.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:27 pm 

Chapter 2

As the Town Hall emptied Eniad looked at the few who remained. Flint, Fate, Grunk, Thorgar and Sutra were the only ones who stayed behind. Sutra looked at the men and smiled.
“I know that this task bothers the lot of you. Flint, Fate, I know the Midnight Sun needs your guidance and I thank you for staying behind to hear me out. Like I told Eniad the Kingdom needs us to rise up and help its people however we can. Grunk I know you have things to take care of with your Clan and will not be able to make the call, but I also appreciate you trying to do what you can. Thorgar will stay here with me to protect and supervise the reconstruction. So Eniad that really just leaves you. I would not have expected less of you and your studies are coming along nicely. I have no doubts that you will be a force for change and will be useful in the coming adventure. Take what you need from the stables and when you get to the Glen spread the word about what goes on here and see if we can not make a few more allies in the process.” Eniad nodded, stood, and walked back to his hovel to prepare his things. He knew that if he was going to make the roll call he had to leave today.

Eniad packed his bags and collected his arcane materials to make his way to Mourningwood Glen. He was anxious to know what the King had planned but a bit weary that too many lives may be lost for naught. The trip would not be an easy one the weather had been harsh recently. Not a fan of the cold he packed a few extra cloaks and blankets to try and beat back the chilling wind that seems to never cease this time of year. As he walks somberly to the stables to fit his horse to the wagon, Eniad is approached by Sutra and Thorgar.
“Wish we could go with you on this journey but we have faith that you will bring a good name to the Kingdom for Artus Pass.” Sutra said energetically. “I have asked Thorgar to stay behind because of the rumors from the east of the goblins reorganizing. I will send word to you as fast as possible if something happens and I need you back.”
“You had better,” Eniad responded, “otherwise I may have to send a Lightning Bolt through your favorite horse.”
All three men laughed as they helped Eniad prepare the wagon and horses for his trip.

The trip to the Glen was long but fortunately uneventful. As he topped a hill he could see the rather dismal turnout for the King's request. A few flags waving in the distance were familiar to him from stories and others were different Shires, Baronies and Duchies found throughout the Kingdom. As he came to a stop in the Glen he was greeted by Sir Kenta, the Royal Regent, and his family, a Master Archer by the name of Asmodius, and Werebear Champion of the Glen. Others soon began arriving and Eniad saw the familiar faces of Flint and Fate as they appeared over the hills. After passing along news of the Shire and other small talk questions began to arise as to why everyone was called and the location of the King. Time passed slowly for those who were called and finally the King arrived. “Speaking of the Peasant King,” Eniad chuckled as he pointed to the arrival of the King. Dressed worse than even the lowliest of fighters the King rode into the Glen and directed the populace to another location just over the rise. Confused the gathered men grumbled and dissent could be felt in the air.

After a few words from the Regent, the mass traveled the short distance to a deep wooded murky area on the border of the Glen. Eniad heard a few of the younger warriors talk about the forbidden area and began to wonder why the King would choose an area frequented by monsters and told stories of a particular breed of monster that threw large disc shaped blades and supposedly held their games in that area. As they approached a covered area a fire was lit to help fight back the cold and the king gathered his reeves to discuss a few details. Finally the Peasant King turned to his populace and spoke about the needs of the kingdom and that he had it on good authority that there were three troves of treasure not far from our location. The King continued on in his instruction and explained that rewards would be given to the team that collected the most treasure, brought the most heads back from the monsters in the woods, and created amusement for him and he would get news from his reeves reports. He instructed the group to form into teams and that soon he will release to our own devices to find the treasure and to bring it back to him.

Eniad stood stoically throughout the speech. His mind was reeling with the thought of a king, his King, could not or perhaps it was would not, wear clothing befitting his station much less a symbol of his Kingdom. The King also did not seem to command much respect from his people. He heard the groans and snickering remarks coming from different places. Eniad shook his mind from those thoughts and began to focus on the task at hand. He noticed Sir Kenta motion for him to come over and as he approached he could already hear the talks of strategy and concerns. Sir Kenta requested that Eniad join him in the upcoming events. Honored by the request Eniad joined the Redhawk Irregulars and watched as other groups began to form. He watched as Flint and Fate joined a team whose name he could not really catch. Half a glass passed before the teams were lead out by their scouts and hounds. Sir Kenta had urged the others to stay behind and just hang around the fire and let the King get his own treasures. After a few laughs and a couple of teams heading into the woods, he led Eniad and the Irregulars into the ominous woodlands.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:49 am 

Sutra sat in the creaky wooden chair. The bitting winter cold had claimed what little materials not pressingly necessary for rebuilding the battered shire as fire wood. He had solemnly donated most of his already paltry furniture to fuel the great funeral pyre held but a full moon ago.

He skimmed the room and examined the small cot with hay filling, the chair he sat in and the tilting table whose top could barely host an open book. The spectre smirked as images of his simple room back at the kingdom castle years ago mirrored his view now.

The fat of the land had dried out since then. The populace moaned under the burden of even more taxation and very little in return. A glimmer of hope here and there, but nothing more. Sutra had received word from a kingdom messenger of the monarch sponsored hunt on the else-kin in the depths of Mourningwood.

"Prolonged war waged on those unlike oneself has never proven profitable..." Sutra mumbled under his breath as he scanned the quilled in.scription. The royal seal had changed like the seasons but the problems were still the same.

Much had to be attended to here in his own neck of the woods. Sutra leaned back in his complaining chair and thought. Faces of his most dependable officers and shire residents granted him a moments solace.

He would send emissaries to represent the park, letting the new monarch know that his plight would be theirs as well. The shadow slowly stood and turned towards the opening where there had been a latching door. In its place hung a cloth draped on a piece of twine allowing for partial privacy.

Those lost in the last confrontation deserved a proper burial more so than he deserved the luxuries they had died protecting.

Sutra tightened the ox-blood colored belt around his waist and exhaled. The meeting would be called in what remained of the town hall turned infirmary.

He would send his best and brightest to assist a kingdom that had turned a deaf ear to his shire's pleas for help. He would send his most dedicated to the forest depths of those who managed to muster a single soul to Artus Pass' defense. He would send his own to show them what lay at the core of every member who called Artus Pass home.

Courage and loyalty. To the death.

S

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing