Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:28 am 

The tall man hacked at the last goblin. Spattered in green muck and sinew, he stood defiantly. His left hand held a dripping long sword, pointed at the throat of a deceased mass of were-rat, a brilliantly glowing orb of light pulsed in his right. Steam rose up from the fresh cut across the rat's belly.

"Sir Forest, we found the material component’s sir!" The tall knight stood tall as he breathed a sigh of relief, watching as a member of the patrol wrapped the flowers and herbs in a leather pouch.

"Any word on the alchemist's whereabouts?"
"No sir."

-------------------------------------

Beams of sunlight danced on the forest floor, the yells of men and the roar of some great daemon broke the natural silence. Running, they came over the mound. Like a second sun, trees and shrubbery lit up bright red, shriveled away and broke out in fire. It's eyes glowed angry, fiery bolts leaping from its bow. The fire elementals attacks appeared to have purpose, almost as if it had been conjured to protect something.

The hissing of the dying elemental masked the shouts of the remaining men as they stood a safe distance from the fading coals.

"Rayel!" a seasoned warrior spoke, "The glyphs." With out stretched hands, he shifted through ragged and singed parchments, wild and erratic etchings having been freshly drawn on them.

========================

Sutra's eyes shifted as he stared at the ceiling. He couldn't tell if he had just daydreamed the two episodes or if he had fallen asleep. He had recently arrived back at the newly reformed barony.

The duchess and regent had not been seen for a few weeks and he had pressing matters to address. It was when he realized he hadn't had a real meal, bath, or nap that he simply let go for the week he had been there.

He wondered how the young scout was faring. The local 'thief' hadn't been seen for almost a month, and he had heard rumors of the recent feast the duchess presented for the ex-duchies populace.

He lay in the tub of cold water, letting it soak to the bone, the wet towel draped over his head. Closing his eyes he wanted to stop thinking for a moment. Something broke his meditation. A presence he wasn't aware of a few seconds ago. Almost like a teleport.

Opening his eyes, he laxly peered around him, his clean bed in the corner, the table with books angled the same way. The door remained locked and it's 'trap' unmolested.

Frowning he shifted uncomfortably.

"...sutra...."

His eyes shifted to the water. The face wasn't fully materialized due to the ripples. He could make out hollow eyes and a razor sharp grin. Slapping at the water he focused a little dumbstruck as the face remained.

"...a message for you..."

The voice hissed at him, and Sutra knew of only one person 'overly creative' to send such an impersonal messenger.

"Dammit rhymer..."

S
[tbc]

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:52 pm 

His wheezing gasps were cut short. The thunderous roar of hooves strode passed him. He lay quiet hidden by the thick green foliage. His hand instinctively slapped at his neck.

Mosquitoes.

He had somehow become lost and disoriented. He had left his home to find his son. He had gone missing for two months now. No news is horrible news. He dusted himself off and stood.

Slowly he made his way to the middle of the road. He turned in two complete circles before deciding north.

His journal was covered in mud, dust, and blood. It was not an easy journey, but he was a week's walk away from the nearest establishment.

It had only recently been a duchy. He had to reach the new Barony of Midnight Sun. He had the concoction for Norven's Sight and had received word from a messenger that a man by the name of Forest had managed to find the necessary elements for said potion. He knew he would not be able to make the journey, but he may be able to find a carrier from the barony.

The dirty hand covered his nose and mouth as he was pulled back into the forest. The whopping and yelling broke the silence. Another group of darkly clad figures raced by on horseback.

'Shhh...Old man, hear me out.'

The old alchemist struggled against the strong arms. He was released when it grew silent enough to hear his panicked breathing.

'What in Ishia's nam...'
'They want to kill you Ariel. Sir.'

The young man knew his name. His angry gaze turned to a beguiled frown.

'Ariel, the baronies sheriff has sent for you, he knew...you would come.'

'So it is true!?' the old man huffed. The young warrior nodded. 'Aye, I am Thordor and these are my men.' He pointed deeper into the tree line as figures began to move forward.

'Who sent you?'
Thordor looked somewhat confused thinking the two men would have known each other.

'Sir, Sutra...Sutra sent for you...'

-------------------------------------------

Sutra kneeled in the waist high river water. The current made way for the unnatural intrusion in it's flow. He sat still with half closed eyes. The startling sensation of curious minnows roused his attention. The water trickled past his chin. The sun hung high in the afternoon sky.

The echoing screech of a hawk filled the emerald canyon.

Sutra had managed to dispatch a messenger to the barony, having only recently visited an old friend. This seer was hard to understand and interpret, but he gathered enough to prove useful.

He had to find it. The balance he had seen and felt.

He remained motionless, allowing the spring feed river to wash over him. It was the cleansing he had waited for.

S
[cont]

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:03 pm 

He stood basking in the sunlight. The slow pace of his horse broke his meditation. She could sense home just over the hill. He smiled as he stroked her matted mane. She needed tending.

Coming over the hill, the barony sat quiet, small columns of smoke rose silently from their chimneys. The familiar barony banner flapped peacefully in the cool morning breeze.

Sutra strode up quietly to the gates teased about having been lost for so long by familiar faces standing guard.

Stopping before the gates, he turned and faced the forest line he had called home for the past months wondering if the young man had managed to find the old alchemist he had 'heard' about.

He had much explaining to give to the baroness.

S
[cont]

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:24 pm 

It would this afternoon that the busy schedule of the Baroness would free up, allowing him an audience with her. He had pressing matters, but reaching Baroness Faith was no easy task.

He had been 'missing' for a few weeks now and did not want to spark any anger from the Baroness for not having an active defender at her service.

He had received word that the young warrior Thordor had taken up the challenge that he had recently received.

Sutra thanked the weary barkeep as he made his way out of the tavern.

The ale tasted sweeter than he last remembered. A smirk formed on his lips.

'They're returning.' shouted out a young guard, perched at the town's gates.

'Thordor and his men return.'
'Is there an old man with them boy!?'
The young archer squinted into the horizon and nodded, 'Aye, they have an old man.'

Nodding, Sutra knew he had left word to a capable spirit indeed.

-----------------------

Slapping Thordors shoulder, Sutra smiled. They spoke words of encouragement for it had indeed been enough cycles to yield a strong young man before his sight.

'I still remember when you where a fierce and competent ankle bitter Thordor...'
'And I remember a faster and shadier Sutra.'

Thanking Thordor and his men, Sutra parted with a small pouch of coins and new instructions for the group.

'The ale, it's pretty good, word is the combs have been blessed.'
'Yea, I've noticed. I'll catch up at the tavern, talk of old times and new journeys, eh?'

Thordor nodded and lead his men to the tavern for a chance to relax.

--------------------------------------

The old manual plopped down at the old mans chest.
'Ariel, I know you recognize this journal. What I need to know is...'
'You, you're the one who sent for me? What do you want with me!' spoke the nervous and tired alchemist.
'Listen, what I am about to tell you, may cause anger and confusion, but you have to listen...'
'I was lost, in the forest; I've been away from home for almost 2 months. I was only looking for my so...'
'I know this old one. I have received word that he is dead.'
The old man gripped the chair's arm taken back. Tears welling up. Sutra relented.
'He was a cleric to the cult, I had the unfortunate luck to 'run' into him.'
'You!!!?"
'No, not I, an arrow...from a goblin archer is what was told to me.'
'Now listen very closely, this Mallabus, we are only two weeks until the new moon..."

--------------------------------------

'And that's why we need to prepare for war Baroness Faith with all due diligien...'
'So you mean to tell me Sutra, that in less than three weeks, the kingdom will be assaulted by this cult of crazed masochists and a shadow wyrm?'
'That's exactly it...and we need to warn the cour...'
'Sutra, if we bothered the Queen about every little incursion with goblins and shadows, the queen would have our land grant.'
'Ask Sir Martello or Rayel even, they must have heard word of strange happenings throughout the lands!?'
'I will, but for now I need order here in my own lands. I am certain you will see to it that law and order are returned to the Barony. We have managed well enough without you...do not tempt me to have you replaced...'

Flushing in the face, Sutra nodded and replied, 'Aye, m'lady. I will.'

Turning on his heel, Sutra quickly spoke in a low and shivering voice.

'Perhaps if I cannot convince you m'lady, then perhaps Ariel the alchemist may have better luck. You can find him outside in your court.'

Sutra silently slips past the two guards at her doors.

S
[con't]

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:27 pm 

Finishing the letter, Sutra sealed it with the baronies mark.

Handing it to the experienced messenger along with a couple of silvers, Sutra excused himself knowing it would reach it's destination.

For now, all he could do is wait.

S
[cont]

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:48 pm 

Einn Stepped out into the designated clearing, just as the letter had instructed. He was nervous, large beads of sweat rolling off of his forehead, urged on by the the sweltering sun and the long walk uphill. Across the small grove, a dark figure strode out from behind a great oak tree.
"It's lovely to finally meet you, Lord Einn", a cruel voice said from under a cloak of darkest night.
"Are you.......Seamus, ....The rhymer?" said einn, hesitantly.
"I believe now, you may refer to me as Nexus Crow" The figure said as he let down his hood.
He continued, "I will assume that the preparations are being made for the great tribulation or does mine eyes decieve me that those pires of smoke are not ritual rites of unsealing?"
"Aye my lord, they are indeed from our rituals. Will you come up with me to see our success?" Einn quickly turned the other direction, eager to show Nexus his weeks of planning.
As they rose slowly up the large hill the reached the edge of a cliff face, looking down upon a valley basin.
Fire......Fire that consumed all things...it was everywhere, burning and cleansing the land to make room to draw the great seals. Hundreds of people, men, women and children were feeding it's insatiable hunger. All initiates and priests of Malla, dressed in the palest gray.
The time was coming soon, less than a fortnight remained and a feeling of excitement welled within eveyones stomach.
Nexus turned away from the sight, striding back to the small grove at the bottom of the hill.
."Where are you going?", cried Einn, running after Nexus
Nexus turned sharply, his black eyes looking deeply into Einn's, as if trying to consume his soul.
"I'll be back when you are ready. Send your forces to march onward to the south. We ride for tanglewood."

All hale his holy darkness
may all the land turn black from his touch
and the skies turn gray from his breath
and the water flow with his poisonous blood
and the stars hide from his terrible glory.
All hale his holy darkness
All hale Malla

- Required Vesper prayer of the Mallabus initiate

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:39 am 

Forest had travelled miles across the kingdom, only to turn around and travel back. Yet in all this no one had been able to give him answers. His quest for Sutra had lead him to Blaise. Finding Blaise not only didn't provide him any answers, but created more issues when she was assassinated at a Crown meeting.

He now had 2 quests, but still had no idea what the first one was. He had fought, and compromised with, woodland creatures to make multiple potions of protection, but what for? What was the threat?

As for the second quest, he knew what he had to do, but he hadn't decided how to go about it.

And now, he had to travel far to the north, to meet with the Monarchy of the Iron Mountains on behalf of a "friend" who had helpped him during the rebellion.

The Summer celebration of HRM Clio was approaching. Forest needed to act quickly if he was going to get his answers before the festivities began.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:50 pm 

The messenger made his way through the vast market yard inside the royal walls of the kingdom palace.

The populace seemed to be thining out he pondered, the last time he had been here, it was at least 2 times bigger. Now, the market was scarce and almost empty. He could only see three very visibly vendors selling their wares to anyone willing to listen.

The people seemed much more sullen and detached. It struck a nerve deep inside his conciousness. Surely this can't be the work of the cult, this is too farfetched to have been the source of complacency among the mulling pockets of people. He did not feel at home.

Their clothing seemed uncared for, many of the men and women appeared unkept, unaware of their uncourtly appearance. It seemed as if the atmosphere was that of either indifferance or complete lack of pride in themselves and their homelands.

It worried the young man into almost a sprint towards the royal courtyard. Stopped at the iron gates, he was immediately demanded to indentify himself and his business.

'I have a missive for Sir Forest! It is from the sheriff of...'

The guards captain stepped forward pushing into the small contingent of excited men, gripping swords, drawn to the hope of any combat they can rile up.

'Speak boy, who sent you?'
'Sir, Sutra of the Barony of the Midnight Sun...'

Having heard the traitorous name before, the captain grabs at the young mans tunic, studying the young man's trembling brow.

'This had better be important....You...you, come with me, we have a message to deliver...' The terse captain points out two guards and leads the way.

The captain storms off as the messenger is pressed hastily between two flustered guardsmen as they make their way into the royal courtyard looking for Sir Forest.

S
[cont]

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:03 pm 

I walk into the Barony, its late and I notice its grown in population ever since I had last came to the Barony. I dont bother entering the Inn seeing as how all the other times I have Ive had something thrown at me. Instead I just go into a bush under a tree and fall asleep

4. Genghis Khan
Honor the great generals of old

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:36 am 

*the kick woke the young man up*

"Hey! I'm not loitering! I'm...I'm...I'm watching the tree for the baroness!" yelped the young Thangorn.

The dark figure hovered over him and spoke in an unfamiliar tone. "You're the regent and the best you can do is...", his shadowed face peers up and studies the tree, revealing his familiar traits only to shift his attention upon the young man "...this?"

"Sutra!" the young man excitedly claims as he stands up to his feet. The dark one quickly puts his finger to his lips as a signal to stay calm and silent.

"I am not the most amiable person right now Regent. We need to talk..."
"Sure..."

--

"Hey! I said move it!" the kick woke him up this time. The baronies grounds keeper fumed at the sight of vagabonds."

"I'm sorry, I'm moving!" exclaimed the groggy Thangorn. He stood rubbing his eyes peering around for Sutra. Coming up empty handed he shrugged a little dismayed.

"I said move it you bu..."
"When the Regent wants to move, he'll move!" growled the massive young man, tired of being pushed around.
"The...the...the...right, right you are Regent...Regent Thangorn!? I'm so very sorr..."
"It's alright, you're doing a fine job, only know who it is you're ordering around next time." Thangorn started to remember his friend’s words and quickly set out to find if his words held any worth trusting.

"Right...thank you sir!"

Thangorn was off.

S
[con't]

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing