Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing

Post subject: The Council of the Pass
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:53 pm 

The Council of the Pass

Eniad walked into the round room atop the high tower of sorcery. Seated around a round table was a variety of men and women who all seem to glow, crackle, and twinkle with a power just under their skin. Eniad circled the room to the largest chair at the table. He took his seat, and looked around the room at the company of people he had gathered to the high tower.

“I see many faces here tonight that I have known for many seasons, and yet I also see many here that I do not know quite as well. I have brought you all here together to discuss the growing numbers in our ranks, and our need to join together to bring order to the magical arts in the kingdom.”

“You mean a guild.” Said a young wizard seated two chairs to Eniad’s right.

“Yes a guild. There have been magic guilds in the past in the kingdom, but in the last few years that guild has become fractured. Yet we find ourselves at a time when our numbers have grown significantly in a short time. We have a lot of young casters eager to be wielding the magical arts. Now that can only be a good thing if we teach these young wizards how to hone their skills. Otherwise we will have chaos. Casters wielding their new knowledge without care to the repercussions.” stated Eniad with conviction.

“Obviously I agree with this guild, and it’s founding principles, but I wonder what we do about those who do not wish to be taught?” the cold voice that gave life to these words emanated from the black cloaked figure seated directly across from Eniad.

“Fionnigan, we hope that we won’t have to answer that question.” replied Eniad.

“Well if you did than you are building this philosophical tower on a shaky foundation. There are going to be wizards who fight us on this idea, and we must be ready to deal with that possibility.” Stated Fionnigan coldly.

“Always the cynic. How do you suggest we deal with these problems?” asked Eniad.

“We must build a prison to which we can send any agent of chaos that wanders in or already dwells within our realm. We set the laws of this guild here and now on this night, and should any of us break these vows we are subject to imprisonment.” Fionnigan said with such flat unyielding force that his hands began to crackle as mystical lightning danced across the tops of them.

“There are dungeons and prisons a plenty in the villages and realms around the Emerald City and one hundred times more in the city itself. The kingdom has places for unruly mages.” countered Eniad.

“I’m not talking about a prison here in this realm.” stated Fionnigan.

I do not suffer fools gladly, and fools with white belts never.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:20 pm 

Eniad had pondered long and hard on the words of Fionnigan Hellblazer. He did not agree with him completely about imprisoning other Wizards for not wanting to join the Council. The arcane was for anyone bold enough to learn from it and embrace it. Eniad saw the path the Council must take. Summoning a messenger he sent an invitation for all wizards to meet at the next Festival of Midreign, The Kingdom's Birthday to find out from each individual whether they should follow this new epiphany.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:16 pm 

Fionnigan Hellblazer awoke to the sound of Vasalisa singing one of her native lands traditional songs, and the smell of breakfast cooking. He got up from his bed, put on his robes, and made his way downstairs to the dining room. As he made his way to the morning meal that awaited him, his mind was heavy with troubles.

He thought of the council that Eniad had called, and the question that still remained to be answered, what to do with those who would use their arcane abilities for evil. Fionnigan had recommended the only solution that seemed logical; imprison them in a prison on the astral plane. He and Eniad had remained at the high tower to discuss the issue long after the other mages had left.

“I think this can be handled without resorting to such extreme measures Finn.” Eniad had said to him.

“Eniad, with all do respect, I think you’re being a bit naive. There are already rumors reaching the interior of the empire of dark beings roaming the lands. If these tales are true we will already have enough to deal with in keeping the empire safe. If we add to that any wielders of magic who are not willing to follow our laws, than we might as well have opened a portal to the void.” replied Fionnigan.

“I agree we must do everything we can to protect the empire, but I don’t think that locking up mages who refuse to join the guild is the right way to go about that.” said Eniad.

“You want to know what the difference is between you and I Eniad?” asked Fionnigan.

“What would that be Finn?” asked Eniad.

“You have a weakness Eniad.” Fionnigan replied. “Deep down in your soul you are a good man Eniad, whereas I am not. You are certain the world is orderly and inherently good. I know it isn’t.”

“I see, well I will be calling another meeting of the guild, and at that time we will sort this out.” replied Eniad.

“If that is what you wish Eniad. Yet I assure you it would be in all of our best interests if you consider my suggestion.” said Fionnigan as he turned to leave.

And with that Fionnigan left the halls of the high tower, and returned to his home. It had now been a week since that meeting, and he was in the midst of putting together a library that would help in training these eager young minds. Fionnigan shook these thoughts from his head as he sat down to enjoy his breakfast, as much as he ever enjoyed anything, which was not much at all.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:37 am 

The figure sat in the middle of the busy tavern as he took a deep bite of the green apple. He didn't know exactly what to expect this evening, but it beat counting the stars in the bitter cold that had recently blanketed the kingdom.

Sutra forked another piece of potato and twirled it in the hearty steak sauce. The meals here were hot and affordable and the sights were welcome as well. The healthy tavern maids bounced back and forth with jostling pints of light and dark lagers. With the gripping cold, sales at the Tavern had spiked. Good for business this bitter weather he thought.

Sutra's interest extened deeper than the pleasure of cataloging the suple talents of the local girls. It was in the hushed murmurs and drunken spats that he looked forward to these past couple nights.

The cloaked figure came in through the tavern doors letting a winter gust of unwelcome cold, mix in with the stale warm tavern air. It was refreshing in a way. Cleansing even. The observant sin had almost grown acustomed to the stink of stale beer and feigned friendships.

Fionnigan Hellblazer had found the missive. An invitiation to share a pitcher of mead and a few words.

The veteran mage made his way through the boisterous crowd and towards Sutra's table.

'Been too long Hellblazer.' the sin stated plainly.
'Indeed it has Lord Sutra.' retorted the mage.

Exchanging looks of slight distrust, the two men wordlessly agreed upon a mutual treaty.

'So...about this Wizards Guild...' began the dark one.

The night was young and many a warm body found their way in and out of the tavern as the moon shifted through the overcast night's sky. Time went unnoticed just as much as the two figures sitting at the table became inconsequential in the scheme of things.

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:33 am 

A sigh slipped passed through her lips as Cynisca tried to relax after the wizard meeting. Any excitement she had about the new direction of the guild had all but died after she sat there all night listening to Eniad and Finn arguing over its direction.

"How can Eniad be so naive?" she wondered aloud for the hundredth time. Maybe a mortal prison could hold a noob, but a master? He either has too much faith in his fellow wizards, or he was blinded to the truly devastating power one could wield.

Or he knew and, she shuddered at the thought, had a plan which excluded any nasty side effect of being stripped of that power and being locked away in his personal hell for all eternity. She couldn't blame him on trying to stop that nasty side effect. But it needs to be in place, if nothing else as the threat of a possibility. The good ones will stay good out of fear for it. And the bad ones, well... She'd try to make them comfy in their hell away from home.

Maybe next meeting they could actually get to some important business. Like setting the rules for which these repercussions would be needed.

"Men... The hens haven't even laid any eggs and all ready they're selling the chicks..."

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:49 pm 

"So what passes for wizards in this area are forming a guild. Well this could prove to be entertaining!" I paced in the darkest corner of my castle, thinking how I could turn this to my advantage. "I am not in control enough to move into the open yet, the other has a stronger will than I thought he did. Still he will submit and this body will be fully mine." Glancing back at the shade who had delivered the report, a cruel smile formed on my face. "I have not yet corrupted this bodies appearance, and these fools would probably welcome a magic user of my caliber. My shadow, go back into the tower and hide yourself again. I want to know if anything changes." Time to get back to were the other laid down for sleep, he would know something is amiss if he tried to wake up now.

I may fall but I will arise again and again, eyes blue alight to fight for the cause that is embedded in my stilled, frozen heart.

~Dreadlord Stripe Frostsorrow~
~Dreadlord Stripe Frostsorrow~

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:50 pm 

The fire blazed strongly in the cold night as Forest added another log. He settled into his favorite chair and picked up the letter again. He had not been at the meeting of the Wizards' Guild, but news of the meeting and the ideas being discussed had made its way to him. There was going to be trouble over all this. Wizards wanting to imprison those who didn't "fall in line". And worse yet, the idea was proposed to the entire guild. Those who would oppose it would have time to organize.

It seemed that chaos and in-fighting would never completely vanish from the Kingdoms borders. He put the note back on the floor, stood, and wrapped his cloak tight around him. It was cold out, and he had a long ride from his home in the woods to reach the keep at Eagleshire.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:19 pm 

“And how long ago did you receive this correspondence?” asked Fionnigan.

“Two days ago Master Hellblazer.” said the messenger.

“Who did you receive this letter from?” continued Fionnigan.

“It was left stuck to my door with a small daggerrrrr…” replied the messenger hanging on the last word as he fell deeper into the hypnosis.

“And you saw no one.” asked Fionnigan.

“No one master wizard.” replied the messenger.

“Well you’re not lying. My truth potion has seen to that. So awake from your slumber and let these moments not weigh on your memory.” said Fionnigan as he released the spell of hypnosis. “Thank you messenger, you may take your leave.”

“Pleasant and long days, master wizard.” replied the messenger.

Fionnigan opened the yellow parchment envelope. Inside was a message signed by Duke Lord Sutra of Artus Pass. It was an invitation to a pub on the northern edge of the Emerald City. The place was familiar to Hellblazer. So had Duke Bauhaus invited him to this small pub to kill him? The question was a fair one to have risen in Fionnigan’s mind since Duke Bauhaus was also a fairly high ranking member of the Assassin’s Guild, the most powerful guild in the kingdom. However, he had not run afoul of any member of the guild in the entire time he had lived in the Emerald Hills, and so the thought was short lived. It was more like he had spoken to Eniad after the first meeting of the wizard’s guild, and had been told of Fionnigan’s proposal. This was probably an attempt to dissuade him from his resolution, by persuasion or force if necessary.

Fionnigan had made up his mind to meet Duke Sutra the moment he had discerned the sin’s invitation. He would see what interest he could be to the shade that walks.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:09 pm 

Fionnigan Hellblazer walked out of the darkened alley, and into the street. This was the northern part of the great and wonderful Emerald City. Streets filled with thieves, fencers, pawn brokers, whores, and pubs in large number. The particular pub that Duke Bauhaus had invited Fionnigan to was a pub that was an anomaly in this part of the city, in the respect that it had quality wares and not unpleasant service. Beneath his black cloak Fionnigan walked down the street with his hand holding his unsheathed dagger behind his back. He passed by men and women whose lives had brought them to a point where they would be willing to prey on those around them in order to make their way in the world. He was not going to be caught by surprise.

Fionnigan walked the two and a half blocks from the spot in the ally he teleported in from to the pub. The Laughing Jester said the sign above the door as it swayed in the cold bitter winter wind. The sign was a grotesque sight with the name inscribed beneath a grinning white faced, green haired jester wearing a purple and orange hat. Fionngan made his way to the door of the pud, and pushed it open letting a large blast of chilling air in with him. The five day drunk soldiers sitting at the table nearest the door sat bolt upright at the rude intrusion of the frozen air, and gave Fionnigan a brief look. Fionnigan didn’t take note of this and continued past the table and into the pub proper.

Fionnigan walked past the soldiers’ table, and observed the Duke’s table placed in direct line of sight of the door with a good amount of distance to the walls in every direction. The assassin was good. He had picked the right venue, and was seated in the veritable crown jewel of tables in the whole damn place. The Duke sat at his table placing a sauce covered bite of potato into his mouth, and watched the mage approach his table.

“Been too long Hellblazer” said Sutra.

“Indeed it has Lord Sutra.” replied Fionnigan.

“So about this wizard’s guild, why don’t you have a seat and tell me about your plans?” asked Sutra.

“You mean my recommendation of the astral prison for violations of the guild’s precepts?” asked Fionnigan as he sat across from Sutra.

“Yes, that and the library you have found.” replied Sutra.

“Yes I have found the Library of the Hills. I also plan to catalogue what is there, and add it to the library of the high tower. As far as the astral prison is concerned, it is the only way to ensure that these lands that we both cherish are protected from the threat of rogue magi.” said Fionnigan.

“Well Eniad doesn’t seem to think it is necessary.” countered Sutra.

“I am aware of this. Eniad is a good man. Yet he is not like you and I. He still believes in a universe of order. I am simply not capable of forcing myself to believe that. You and I both know that the only order that exists in this world is the order that we bring to it. If we don’t do this than we have failed our people.” Fionnigan said. "I will not be threatened into changing my mind either."

“Hellblazer, I am aware you have been stalked by chaos, but that doesn't excuse such rudeness. If I wanted to make you change your mind, you would. This is all I am going to ask you to do, let the guild decide. Let Eniad put it to a vote at the next meeting of the entire guild, and whatever the decision stand by it.” said Sutra.

“I am not unwilling to listen to the voice of my fellow magi. Whatever the guild decides I will see to it that it is done. I just hope that whatever the choice we make the right one.” replied Fionnigan.

“As do we all wizard.” replied Sutra.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:03 am 

“I am aware of this. Eniad is a good man. Yet he is not like you and I. He still believes in a universe of order. I am simply not capable of forcing myself to believe that. You and I both know that the only order that exists in this world is the order that we bring to it. If we don’t do this than we have failed our people.” Fionnigan said. "I will not be threatened into changing my mind either." replied the flustered master wizard.

Sutra leaned back and waited a moment, sensing every fleeting second that passed into oblivion. Now was not a time to argue over semantics. Actions on all fronts had been set in motion and this one just another gog in the grand scheme of things.

The shade leaned forward and spoke with grievous sincerity. 'Let the mages hold their meeting. Let them have their vote. I am not going to persuade you do to otherwise.' The mage watched the sin with calculating eyes.

'I once knew a young man who was obsessed with order. Balancing the universe to be exact. The day news reached me that he had managed to dispacth a small group of bandits, I was reminded about the damning qualities a zealous spirit can have. Not because of the punished thieves, but because this young 'balancer of all things' murdered the last surviving innocent that had fallen victim to the raiders. In his mind, he had to balance this 'order' by killing the fourth member of a butchered family to offset the four plunderers he had dispatched...'

Sutra grimmaced at the thought before taking a long hard draw on his half full mug. 'The child was no more than four seasons old.'

Fionnigan unflinchingly stares back.

'The Guild has been accused of many a thing. Cut throats, honorless curs, traitors...what have you. We've seen it all. Accused by many a tainted citizen. But time and time again, in the kingdoms darkest hour, when those who swear by the guiding light of their false gods fail us; The Guild restores balance.'

The master wizard studies the words spoken tonight. To be sitting at a tavern table with the guild master of assassins and not have a slit throat has got to mean something he mulls.

'The Guild will see to it that things are kept in the natural order of things, and it will act accordingly. But don't be surprised if its actions have a tinge of conscience attached to our so called personal agendas...'

The two men study each others intent. Leaving here tonight without crossing dagger and death majicks would be a mutual sign of respect.

“I am not unwilling to listen to the voice of my fellow magi. Whatever the guild decides I will see to it that it is done. I just hope that whatever the choice we make the right one.” replied Fionnigan.

“As do we all wizard.” replied Sutra.

Anxious smirks are exchanged before the shade breaks the silence. 'Mind ordering us a pitcher...you're call on drink...on my coin sir...'

Hellblazer chuckles and nods quickly glancing over his shoulder fast enough to catch the movement of a well endowed maid and not let his gaurd down with the sin. Looking back satisfied with his ordered cat-call, he finds himself alone at the table.

Eyes slowly examine the emptying tavern, keen to any other sort of trickery before they settle on a single silver coin sitting next to the empty plate and mug the shade had left behind.

'Damn assassin...' mutters the mage as the pitcher is placed loudly in front of him and payment is collected. The toothy smile from the maid causes the mage to desire being at a warm hearth at the new found library.

The moon and stars shift in the night sky. Dogs howl long into the night. A dark storm settles on the horizon.

All in due time.

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:20 am 

He had missed Finn. Standing in the keep at Eagleshire Forest wondered what reasoning there was in this new plan, and if the other wizards were going to go ahead with it. All he knew for sure was that Finn was the one promoting the plan and that was who he needed to talk to. But first, he needed to speak with Everlast about the undead attacks on the Kingdom. Once they had a plan of action, he could focus more on the Wizards' Guild and Finn's plans. With a sigh he headed into the keep's inner chamber for his meeting. It seemed there was no rest for the weary.

Puppet Master of the EH

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:13 am 

Journal of Fionnigan Hellblazer:

I spent a good part of the day reading and cataloguing various tomes and scrolls in the library of the High Tower today. I looked over an interesting tome while I was there. Entropy’s Guide to Magical Orders it was called. It was a catalogue, composed by Master Wizard Sir Martello Entropy, of every magical order and organization that had ever existed within the realm as of the time of the books writing.

There were some very interesting entries. One entry, though, stood out from the rest. An entry titled The Shadow-watchers. The Shadow-watchers were a rumored sect of mages who operated in the early days of the kingdom. Their existence had, according to the book, never been proven, but they were rumored to hunt down rogue casters for the crown. They were specially trained and tasked with maintaining order within the magical community of the realm.

The book failed to give any significant information regarding the structure or method of operations of the group, but since it is supposed to be just a rumor that would be understandable. I must continue reading through more of the tomes and scrolls perhaps this group is mentioned elsewhere in some of the other manuscripts. I must find as much information as I can about this group.

Also read more on the Edict of Ben’s Keep. The actual decree was written in the keep of Grand Duke Sir Gilos Dawnhope in the Kingdom of the Burning Lands. Grand Duke Dawnhope, Grand Admiral Asmund Brandsson Grendelspage, Sir Ivar Nefarious, and Otto VonMuller had gathered to celebrate Sir Ivar’s ascent to the throne of the Kingdom of the Burning Lands. At the time vampires had grown in number to overwhelming proportions. There was an epidemic of vampirism. In order to stop the spread it was determined that vampires should be made the primary enemy of the kingdom, and it gave primary responsibility for the eradication to an organization, which in the writings I found, was only identified by three initials, R.A.N. I still remain unclear on what the initials stood for or what the purpose, outside of vampire hunting, of the group actually was. The decree was successful in its goal of ridding most of Amtgardia of the bloodsucking menace. Most of the manuscripts written after the Edict speak of vampires as almost a mythical creature.

All of this is wonderful information to have, but it still doesn’t answer the question of why there were sudden attacks by hordes of vampires in at least three different realms of the kingdom. Although recent developments may have some light to shed on the origin of these foul creatures, I have heard rumors that certain crystalline shards were key to the realm’s victory over the undead menace. I have my suspicions about these shards, and their sudden appearance in our time of need. I must be sure to investigate these things further. Perhaps I can get close to one of them and give it a thorough examination.

Mortem proditoribus.

Last edited by TheOneTrueFinn on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:10 pm 

Eniad sat with the last of the Healers from the Realm of Baylor. The prognosis on his leg was not as promising as he had hoped. Slowly he rose and thanked the good medicine men for their time and turned and walked from the white room. Once in the clearing he teleported himself back to his humble study. Now finished with the healers and mystics, Eniad sat down to his desk to begin drafting the notes and Edicts he would like to present to the rest of the Emerald Hills wizard community. He had heard rumors of meetings between mages and others to see where he stood or what he actually had planned. Some think he stands purely for order, some know his past dealings with Wild magic and his love that the chaos of it brings, but no one can truly understand his love of this Art. It was this Art that saved him from a life of tedium, a life of normalcy. Without the Art he would be a broken shell of the warrior he was. Eniad thought back to the time when he was introduced to the Art. He gazed out his study window overlooking the small shire he calls home and recollects...

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:29 pm 

Journal of Fionnigan Hellblazer

I met with Sir Forest today. He had sent a message by currier to me earlier in the week requesting my presence at Eagleshire. He stated in the missive that he was concerned about the future of the wizard’s guild and wanted to discuss the matter with me personally.

He questioned me about the extra planer prison I brought up at the last Wizard’s guild meeting. I told him exactly what I thought, that this guild should be law of the land concerning the weaving of arcane arts in the kingdom, and that anyone unwilling to obey the edicts of this organization is a danger of the highest order to this empire. They should be dealt with in as harsh a matter as possible. I also, though, stated plainly that I was aware others do not share my point of view and that with the next meeting of the guild it would be put before the council for a vote. I advised Sir Forest that whatever the council decided I would abide by it. I pressed him for information on the nature of these vampire attacks on Artus Pass and Morningwood Glen. He said the vampires were also shape shifters, and they took the forms of members of the royal court. That makes it very clear to me that I was right, these creatures were summoned by someone.

I left the meeting with Sir Forest and came immediately back to my manor. I have to consult my personal library. I have learned more concerning theses shards. I must consult Tobin’s Spirit Codex. Some of the rumors that I have heard about these shards and their powers lead me to believe they may be necromantic in nature. If this is true I am sure they will be listed in the Spirit Codex. It is one of the most comprehensive tomes on necromancy I know of, outside of the Tome of the Mad Arab.

I have also had a number of disturbing dreams recently. It is strange since I met Vasalisa I have begun to dream again. There haven’t been many. I still don’t dream most nights, but every now and again I will have one, and they’re usually prophetic. It would seem that my abilities with foresight have begun to manifest themselves naturally again through my dreams. I had one last night. It wasn’t very long and it was mainly just flashes of images in my mind, but I saw drow amassing in the woods of Tanglewood. I also had visions of a necromancer performing profane writes in what appeared to be a cave.

I must investigate these visions further, and verify if there is any truth to them. If they are true it would be prudent to make preparations now for an attack, and are they possibly related? If they are could this necromancer be the one behind the vampire attacks as well? It would seem unlikely given that necromancers can raise entire armies from the dead. Perhaps I may need to spend some time with my wizard’s glass.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:35 pm 

Forest was happy that the ride north had gone so well. Everlast, ever the diplomat, had explained things to the people of Five Banners and Forest had helped calm any fears they may have. All was for the best.

Upon his return, he received word that Finn was ready to meet with him. They spoke at length in the keep about the wizard's guild and the desire Finn had to create order and establish guild law. While Finn noted he would follow what the guild decided, Forest was unsure exactly how that would play out. In a close vote, Finn may recognize those who supported him as "THE" guild and begin eliminating any opposition. Or, he may be willing to listen to the other wizards if they were to vote down his ideas.

Only time would tell. As their meeting drew to an end, Forest bid Finn farewell.

"Oh, and I hope you like the new banners we had made this week. I just had them hung up this morning. They are getting some made for one of the northern holdings this week as well."

Finn walked out of the keep and turned back to look at the new banners. The symbol was slightly changed, and instead of an eagle, a dragon's claw was emblazoned on it. Then he saw the words:

"Welcome to Dragonshire"

Finn smiled. Things certainly were moving fast.

Puppet Master of the EH

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing