Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing

Post subject: The First Attack
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:59 pm 

(story by Ghosttiger)

Ghosttiger sat alone in the cave overlooking the shire of Red Storm.  He loved his role as night watchman for the Shire but still wasn’t used to being out in the open.  With the Sheriff down protecting the King, his Regent on a trade mission with the Principality of the Northern Empire, the Chancellor ill, and the Shire Champion out on a hunting trip, he felt as though the Shire was severely weakened by a lack of leadership.
The Drow sat alone outside the unfortified Shire relying on his elf eyes to see approaching danger.  He sat trying to decipher the magical runes in the spell book he took from his homeland.  When he noticed that everything was quiet, too quiet.  No noise was heard, not the crickets, no owls….nothing.  He could see no heat signatures to warn him but the natural world knew something was wrong.
The dark elf dropped his book, grabbed his bow and ignited an arrow and fired it into the Shire to warn the rest of those on the night watch.  Then he raced down the mountainside.  Cheeto sitting by the fire with Aria saw the arrow flying in, reached for his spear and shield and cried out an alarm. 
Jrake stumbled out of his tent, reaching for his bow, he instead grasps the hilt of the sword that is on loan from the Kingdom.  When he grabs the sword it immediately burst into flame, but the flame doesn’t seem to burn him.  He ran to join Cheeto and Aria looking for the coming attack.
As the servant of the spider queen got closer to the Shire, he switched to normal vision and could see movement from the east.   He yelled out “East.” as he ran.  Cheeto turns to the east placing himself in front of Aria and Jrake, as all three head to the eastern edge of the Shire.  As they reach the edge of the Shire two beings step out of the woods each barring fangs and hissing like enraged cats.
Ghosttiger fires an arrow at the two assailants knowing he was out of range but wanting to distract the intruders to hopefully give an opening to his allies.  The vampires see the arrow skipping across the ground and pay the archer no heed as their primary prey is closer at hand.  Cheeto tells Aria to stay behind him as he stabs out with his spear to keep the vampires at bay.   
The vampires, seeing their prey go from three to two move in for the kill.  An arrow flies harmlessly over one of the vampire's head . Like lightening it turns to the running archer.  Distraction complete Jrake reaches out with the sword of flame and cuts off the arm of the distracted vampire who bursts into flame and runs off in a dying rage.  The lone vampire rushes Cheeto intent on turning him.  Cheeto sets his spear for the charge which ends abruptly as an arrow pierces the leg of the charging vampire.  The vampire swings his shield to snap the arrow shaft, Cheeto sees the opening he needs and jabs out with his spear, driving it deep into the vampire’s chest.
Aria comes out from behind Cheeto and decapitates the vampire, she then pulls her smiths tongs out of her pocket and removes the vampires fangs.  She turns to Jrake and says “They’ll make a nice necklace.”  Seeing no more threat to the Shire, Ghosttiger returns to his cave and his book that he left there.  Jrake reaches out with the sword of flame and ignites the downed vampire.  Cheeto headed out of the Shire looking for the corpse of the vampire who fled.

Post subject: Re: The First Attack
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:42 am 

"The last pit's been dug, stakes rubbed with garlic and silver tips all in place" replied the weary warrior.

"Sounds more like a soup recipie than a defense..." muttered the sheriff. Nodding with approval, the freshly rested guards took over the dawn watch.

Sutra paced across the wooden rampart waiting for any of the Glen-bound scouts to return with news.

Now, Artus Pass waited.

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:59 pm 

Fionnigan mounted the stairs leading to the keep of Eagleshire, the mild winter breeze whipping his cloaks cowl around.

“No guard, that’s strange.” thought Fionnigan as he approached the large etched wooden doors of the keep.

Fionnigan pushed the double doors open with a loud creak, and found the keep empty. The seat of the empire in the Shire was abandoned. Fionnigan feared the worst. He had a dream the previous night about vampires on the northern front of the empire. Could the Shire have been completely sacked by an undead horde while he had been away? No that was clearly not the matter; except for the keep, the rest of Eagleshire appeared to be perfectly normal. Even as early in the morning as his arrival was he still passed some folk in the streets leading up to the keep. Perhaps there was trouble elsewhere in the empire and the current leadership was called away to render aid.

As this thought occurred to Fionnigan he saw two members of the company of the Bees. The two were obviously the ones left to guard the keep. What must be going on elsewhere in the empire to have drawn everyone, but a two man guard away from the keep? Could the visions of the undead raids he had the night before been closer to home than he had first suspected? Was some other part of his beloved empire struggling against a soulless enemy? Fionnigan pondered these dire thoughts as the two gaurds approached. He was already going over in his head plans necessary to maintain the keep and the Shire’s security in its current need.

I do not suffer fools gladly, and fools with white belts never.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:57 am 

'THE LEFT WALLS BEEN BREACHED!' barked the frantic voice.

Sutra knocked a second arrow and took aim. The silent death greeted another fanged beast, causing it to erupt in a brilliant display of light.

'Alby, you take the left tower - Everlast, the center. If we can take control of those two points before they regroup, we can beat them if we take the left.'

The three mean agreed and the plan was set in motion.

The shadow grinned. Immediately, the arrogant smirk was wiped from his face as pain wracked his left arm. The bow dropped with a wooden thud before he realized he had been hit with a tainted arrow. The shadow let out a roar and ripped at the stake tucked under his belt. A pale flash darted to his right, almost undiscernible. Sutra hooked his right arm enough to drive the stake into another vampire's chest. He was blinded by both the heat and light that equaled a thousand suns.

His last sane thought centered around the irony that such a brilliant light should emanate from such dark a creature.

The sword punctured his right lung as he fell to his knee. His mind raced knowing it wasn't going to be the lack of air or loss of blood that would be his end. He had seen many a fighter turn right before his eyes. Soon, he would hunger for blood.

He fought the impending darkness with every fiber of his being.

The wizard king aimed bolts of lighting with feverish accuracy. Alby was given support by Malran, yielding shield and sword - both men driven by blood lust.

Even Sir Everlast and Skullband from the Shire of Ealges and Dragons assisted the king in the defense of the Pass. The two veteran warriors weapons crackled with power as they cleaved undead limbs and heads in two.

Even the shires children served a role in the defense. Just as spirited and defiant as their parents, they took to the battle field like banshees.

Darkness began to blind the sheriff as he could feel the curse of undeath take hold. Gritting his teeth, a thundering desire erupted from within. His wounds had instantly healed. He had succumbed to the red fever. Gripping his bow, he stood whirling into the air as he took aim and released a volley of shots with unnatural speed and accuracy.

Malran feel to his knees as an arrow struck his right leg. Shot after shot, Sutra's last shred of humanity fought the desire to kill. Wounding his own allies caused a regret that kept the darkness from consuming him completely.

The sword protruded from his chest. Sutra had been redeemed. Slumping over unto his back, the assassin watched as Skullband stared at him with focused determination. A simple nod from the hunter and he was gone. The shade lay peacefully, staring at the overcast sky.

A healer came to his aid and began his incantation.

'They're pushing the damned parasites back' howled a familiar voice as she rushed by.

Sutra was proud of the populace today. They had defeated all sorts of onslaught from every direction. He'd be cursed if he saw them fall to dark fae creatures this day.

Today was a good day indeed.

'has healed you...' the friendly face finished. Sutra nodded a sincere thank you. The healer rushed off into the fog of war.

Regaining his composure, the sin gripped his bow and quiver and resumed the hunt.

Today was indeed a good day.

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:20 pm 

With the invasion only hours away, the Champion rose early in the morning that day to pack light and ride hard. The mare seemed uneasy at first touch of the shard bearer but through will of the Rogue, she eventually warmed to him. Once she was ready and his effects strapped in, unspurred heels dug into the sides of the capaill and off they rode.

The frozen yet clear air of Dreadmoor kept him hopeful as he headed south towards Emerald Hills proper. Almost soothing to the senses comparatively to the dark omen he had received not just a few weeks before. As he reached the border between the north and south, evil seemed to reveal itself. The light of the Sun began to become less apparent as darkened clouds filled the sky. A hunger grew deep within the further he traveled. These details were pushed aside. The Crown was making its way to aid in the defense of Mourningwood Glen and he, needing to be the Defender, was already a day's ride behind.

Once he arrived, the scene was not at all what he imagined. The horde of undead had arrived with powerful leeches at the front of the assault. And just as he dismounted to rush off to find King Alby, the concentricity of evil overtook him. The shards he carried burned and bound into his flesh, signing an ill-favored contract with the damned. The last thing he remembered was seeing the Crown resting upon the head of the Undead King.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:30 pm 

Skar leaped nimbly from the wooden floor of the keep onto Fionnigan’s lap. He began to purr immediately as he kneeded his claws into Fionnigan’s thighs. The cat was Fionnigan’s familiar, and had been with him as long as he had been a gryphon rider. He rode side saddle, so to speak, alongside Fionnigan anywhere he went. The mage had a hardened leather pouch right off the side of the gryphon saddle that Skar rode in, and he even had a pair of goggles made for the cat.

“Where is everyone master?” purred Skar.

“According to the guards, Skar, my suspicions were correct. There was a nest of vampires that raided both Morningwood Glenn and Artus Pass. The Shire sent the bulk of their conscripts to aid both the Glen and the Pass. We have been left to muster a force of irregulars to maintain the watch until the Baron and his men return.” said Fionnigan and than took a long drink from his wooden cup of ale.

“And what do you have to choose from, masterrr?” purred the cat.

“We have the two guards, that adventurer from Neverwinter, and outside of that we’re dealing with whatever available men we can muster from the village. Which is to say we’re leading a band of gray beards and pups. Men who are way too close to the spirit world in either direction, coming or going.” stated Fionnigan gravely as he prepared to study his spells for the night.

“Do you know we’re going to be attacked master?” enquired Skar.

“No I don’t Skar, but I always have a plan ready for any possibility. The intelligence that we have received in recent days is of vampires. It has been ages since vampires have stalked these realms or any other in Amtgardia. The Edict of Ben’s Keep had all but eradicated the soulless menace from these lands. How is it possible that there are still enough alive in this world as to launch multiple attacks?” Fionnigan wondered aloud as he set up his alter.

“Are you going to look through the wizard’s glass, master?” asked Skar.

“No, but I will give a look to my Bloodwynd plate. The plate will be enough for my needs.” replied Fionnigan as he pulled the plate from his bag of holding.

“Will you need me for anything master?” asked Skar.

“No Skar, you may take your leave. I will only be in the meditation for a few minutes. I think I saw a few field mice when we first entered.” said Fionnigan as he opened his index finger and dropped some blood onto the plate.

“Yes master. They have been on my mind to the point of distraction since we first arrived.” purred Skar.

“Have your fun, old friend. However be ready to assist me when I begin my spell meditations. I will need your power to shorten the time of my study.” said Fionnigan as he began to slip into the bloodwynds.

Mortem proditoribus.

Last edited by TheOneTrueFinn on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:38 pm 

The day had finally arrived of the impending attack on Artus Pass. You could feel the tension in the air, it felt even Mother Nature herself was holding her breath in anticipation of the fight at hand as the sun didn’t even make an appearance through the grey wall of clouds. Many had arrived to help defend the small shire.

As the sheriff of the quiet shire stood and spoke to the barbar king on recent news of other attacks, the regent looked across the camp watching the fighters prepare for the event at hand. Some sat at the table with food and drink but appeared to not have much of an appetite as they sat in silence staring off into the distance. Others attempted to relieve their nervousness with some sparring. She then looked over toward the woods at the guards huddled around the fire as they stood watch over the boarders. All of a sudden the dreary silence was broken by the kingdoms champion sounding the alarm. The vampires had been spotted lurking on the other end of the shire.

The fighters quickly gathered around for their orders. The Sheriff Sutra and King Alby knew they needed to act quickly as if the foul beast of the dark had a chance to gather forces all would be lost. The pair quickly armed themselves and joined the fighters as they approached where the vampires had been spotted. The group was in luck only a couple of small covens had arrived. Sutra and Alby gave the order to attack the first camp. The band quickly dispersed of the first coven. However the noise of the fight quickly brought others. These were not going to be so easy.

All across the battlefield the sounds of orders could be heard over the clashing of weapons. Arrows could be seen taking flight from every direction, many finding their target, wounding or killing both vampire and human alike. At one point King Alby was seen running across the field with a vampire on his heels as they disappeared into a group of fighters going head to head with another batch of vampires. After several hours of the chaos the battlefield became silent. Once the dust cleared and all could be seen all that remain standing was the defenders of Artus Pass. Cheers of victory and joy filled the air.

As the defenders returned back to camp to celebrate their victory, three fighters Mertag, Malran and Myth were walking together talking and laughing as they told stories of their victory. Then suddenly the mood changed as Malran placed Myth under a Charm and stole the shard that the Kings Point champion carried.

As Malran started to walk away with the shard Mertag first caught totally off guard by what had happened quickly grabbed on of Myth’s daggers and drove it through Malran. Malran quickly crumbled to the ground. Mertag then recovered the stolen shard and started to take it to his sheriff but he came to a sudden stop as he thought about it. Mertag came to a different decision. He then continued on to speak to Sutra but this time not as his sheriff but as Guild Master of Assassins.

When he reached the master sin he handed the shard to him. Sutra once realized what he was being handed demanded to know how Mertag obtained the shard. Mertag then recounted the events that happened moments before. Once Mertag finished the tale of the events, they spoke of what to do with the shard. They both came to an agreement and parted ways. As Sutra began deciding on Malran’s fate for crossing the guild, Mertag returned to Myth, who was still recovering from the effects of the charm. Once Mertag reached Myth he handed something to Myth. Mertag simply said to him “a gift from the Warriors guild to the Assassins guild may this token of trust and friendship guide us through the hard times ahead”. When Myth looked down to see what being handed to him his eyes was widened with surprised as Mertag was returning the shard that had been stolen from him. Myth looked back at Mertag and gave a nod in acceptance and the two continued on the celebration at hand.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:22 am 

The day was cold. The sun hid it's face behind blankets of wind-whipped clouds which scattered the occasional raindrop onto the fields surrounding Mourningwood Glen. I arrived in the train of King Alby accompanied by Sir Forrest Evergreen to find the inhabitants of the Glen preparing their defenses. I muttered to myself about forgetting my cloak as the wind whipped about my tabard, seeming to find every gap in the clothing.

"I wouldn't have expected to find you so far south." A hearty voice said, causing me to forget my mutterings for a moment. My eyes rose to find Asmodius striding across the field. I smiled to see the archer whom I had befriended around the fires of the Wolfpack some time before.

"It's good to see a friendly face on such an unfriendly day." I replied as I grasped Asmodius' outstreached arm. "I've come with the King with a dire warning..." I began but I noticed Asmodius's confused expression. looking around, I noticed that the king seemed to have vanished along with his knight.

The two of us retired into the relative warmth of the Pavilion that, if no proof against the wind, was at least shelter from the scattered rain. I was introduted to Sir Kinta and Crimson who were organizing the populace into defensive units. I was presented to Baron Virgil and his guard. I tried to be polite but the glimpse of the shard hanging from his belt brought back all of the frustration of the past season. "Torgier." I muttered.

"What was that?" Virgil asked. I shook my head and half mumbled "Nothing. Just a stray thought crossing my lips." Virgil nodded as if he understood the pain and rage that hid behind my polite face.

"The king has arrived." called a strong voice from the copse of trees at the edge of the field. King Alby, Sir Forest, Connor Slight and Werebear appeared at the edge of the trees, Connor before them, calling to the Barony. Alby, in his furs as always, stood regally with his escorts, awaiting the baron. Virgil and his guard began moving toward him but something bothered me about the whole thing. I heading to intercept the group, calling to Asmodius "Ready you bow, my friend. Something isn't right here."

As the two groups neared each other, I hurried to Virgi's side. He looked over at me and seemed to understand by my demeanor that something was wrong here. His steps slowed as we approached the king, who had not yet stepped out from the cover of the trees.

"Hail King Alby!" I cried, drawing his eyes to me. I noticed curiosity in his eyes, but not a bit of recognition. "You are King Alby aren't you?" I asked, adding the force off bardic magics to my words. The thing impersonating King Alby, for the look on it's face was proof that this was not my old friend, struggled for a moment, as if to fight off the compulsion that my magic had place upon it. In the end, the powers of Bardic Charm overcame the beast and it's lipped curled into the true statement of "NO!"

The defenders of the Glen burst into action almost immediately. The four impostors seemed to move with unearthly speed as they charged forward. The creature impersonating Connor went strait for Baron Virgil but was met with a hail of arrows from Asmodius's bow. The arrows tore through the disguise revealing the undead monster underneath. Lightning danced on the fingertips of the creature wearing the face of my friend but it was unable to release the devastation upon it's target as my own arrow found it's mark. The battle was truly engaged.

Later that day.....

Virgil finished healing my wounded leg as the last vestiges of the foul curse fled my body. I had been careless and let one of the undead get too close. I almost fell to it's spell but Cynisca noticed my plight and escorted Virgil to me so that he could cleanse the curse from my body.

"They're over here." Came the booming call of Sir Kinta, who stood next to a pile of fallen limbs near where our wagon was tied up. He stood over something hidden from our view. A few muttered words and King Alby's head suddenly came up from behind the pile. Soon, the rest of his party, who had been quietly attacked as we approached, were being tended to. How I had missed the attack was a mystery.

"Who was that other bowman?" asked Virgil.
"I was." Said a quiet, almost whisper from behind me. I turned to see who had spoken to see a shadowy figure standing there. "I have come with greetings for the Baron which I am instructed to give to him in private."

Virgil nodded and stood to go with the figure. I looked at him in apprehension. He was still new to the machinations of the halls of power and didn't know how vulnerable he was at that moment. His guards noticed him walking away with the dark figure and hurried to him but not before the assassin stuck. One, two, three swipes of his katana and Virgil was falling. The Assassin turned to face the onrush of the Baron's guard, the shard grasped in his hands. One guard slashed at the dark figure's shoulder, drawing blood but before he could land a killing blow, the figure dissolved into darkness, the shard vanishing with him.

Lettusio-Rex, Dreadmoor Fey Jackalope
Member of the House of H.O.P.S.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:14 am 

You have come seeking answers to questions.

Fionnigan heard the voice as he always did, coming from every direction at once. The texture of the sound itself was something indescribable. One truly had to hear the voice to be able conceptualize the sound. To Fionnigan it always brought to mind shattered glass falling to the floor, an infant screaming, the rumbling of a cavalry unit, and a snake’s hiss all mixed together in the mortar that was his ear.

“I seek the answer to just one question, where has this new breed of vampire come from?” replied Fionnigan.

Why do you ask this of us, mage?” asked the voice.

“Because it has been almost twenty seasons passed since the Edict of Ben’s Keep, and their kind was all but eradicated. There certainly hasn’t been enough to launch the kind of assault the empire was subjected to these last few days.” replied Fionnigan.

Well than you already know the answer to that question, mage.” the voice stated.

“These vampires aren’t from this world. How did they get to our world is the real question than.” stated Fionnigan.

That is a question you must answer on your own, young wizard. Our time has drawn to a close.” said the voice as Fionnigan began to come out of the Bloodwynd trance.

Fionnigan began to gain consciousness as he heard the tromping of running boots on the wooden floor boards of the great hall.

“Finn, they’re back. The army is on its way up the road with Baron Everlast at the head.” said the Bee guard.

“Thank you. I will be on my way in a moment to meet them.” replied Fionnigan.

Fionnigan shook away the remnants of the Bloodwynd trance, and placed the plate back in his bag of holding. He stood and felt Skar moving in a figure eight path around his legs. The sound of his self satisfied purr led Fionnigan to assume that Skar had caught his quarry. Fionnigan was still trying to discern what, if anything, he had learned with his scrying as he headed to the great hall’s doors.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:31 pm 

"wakey wakey... you can't sleep yet." Virgil heard a voice. "Damn..." he said as he slowly got up "... I was starting to think that death had finally come to me.." Virgil's eyes slowly adjusted to the light, It had seemed that he had been moved to his quarters. He scanned the area for the person whom he heard, however there was no one to be found. "I was killed wasn't I?" He thought to himself about what he last remembered. "THE SHARD!" he remembered bolting out and onto the pathway that led to the darkwoods.
"A promise is a promise. Now all I need is a little help." he said to himself as he left to the person he could count on the most.

"I cannot quench your thirst
Because even if you yearn for the truth, you refuse to believe in it.
I cannot quench your thirst
Because no such truth exists that you are in anticipation for.
But I still want to quench your thirst.
Because I am the one the that put you into the desert."
-Frederica Bernkastel

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:29 pm 

It was a dreary time even the day seemed darker than normal. Even the horses that carried me to Morning Wood glen knew something was wrong. When we arrived it was a pleasant site to see those that stood on the wall Ready to defend their homes. I knew they had a strong defense plan set and would be victorious that day, but even as they prepared for the attack I felt an unease and soon fell to the ground Then as if a brief moment passed I was awaken and the battle was over. Sir Kenta, Virgil and Asmodius were leaning over me checking to see if I was ok. I asked what happened. They explained the attack and what had happened. I congratulated them on their victory, but knowing I had to move on to offer aid to other shires. So I bid farewell to those of Morning Wood Glen and headed down the trail to Artus Pass. We had wine to celebrate along the way. Upon arriving at Artus Pass Connor noticed a few camps off in the distance. We went in for a closer look as we neared we noticed these camps were filled with vampires a waiting the right time to attack. At that moment we headed back to our caravan and rode on to Artus pass to bring them warning. With that Warning Sutra and I planned on a surprising the vampires and attacking their camps. With that we were able to destroy them and defend Artus Pass Successfully.With a fare well I headed back to the Emerald City and waited to hear from the other lands. With no word from some of the others I sent out scouts with hopes to hear of victories.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:06 pm 

“Dragonshire. And they think I’ve gone around the bend.” thought Fionnigan Hellblazer as he traversed the aisles of the library.

He took an ancient looking tome down from a shelf slightly higher up than his head, and blew countless years of dust off the cover. “The Tales of Tanglewood” said the faded gold embossed lettering that covered the front of the book. This was one of the oldest copies of the tome he had ever seen. This being the preeminent historical record of the Emerald Hills, Fionnigan was quite familiar with it, but he had never seen a copy this old before. The biggest truth about historical records is they were usually written and maintained by those who were on top politically, and as that has shifted over the many years of the empire’s existence the record has surely shifted with it. Thus Fionnigan had chosen long before this day to track down as many copies of the Tales as he could for the purposes of comparing and contrasting the differing tomes. He considered himself a part time sage as well, and was devoted to piecing together his own unbiased and true record of the history of this great land, and seeing it placed alongside the same copies of the Tales he proposed to skewer. Well maybe the last part was a bit much to hope for, politics being what they are, but still an unbiased record must be made.

Yet this was not the reason he had come for this particular tome that night. He had met with Sir Forest earlier in the day, and beyond learning of the political maneuverings of the Green Dragon Company, he had also learned more about the vampires that had attacked Artus Pass and Morningwood Glen and the shards that saved the day. The stories he was hearing about these shards sounded a lot like The Crystal of Lost Souls. He had heard tales of the crystal through the years. Just old campfire tales he had heard many times before. The tale went like this, a Necromancer, long ago in the early days of Amtgardia, lived in a high tower far away from the First Kingdom. He had for years placed his essence into a crystal to the point that one day the crystal gained a minor sentience and began to take the mystical essence of others. The people of the First Kingdom were unaware of the necromancer’s presence, and many fell victim to his crystal before they realized who was attacking them.

The First Kingdom mustered a force to seek out and destroy this necromancer. It was said that it took the combined full force of four master wizards to bring down the necromancer, and that even at the moment of the turn of battle the necromancer put his entire essence into the crystal which caused the crystal to shatter. The crystal shards were taken from the field of battle and placed in the keep of the early First Kingdom.

At least that was the tale he had always heard. After logging an entry into his journal he checked Tobin’s Spirit Codex and found that there were some who claimed the tale originated in the early days of the Emerald Hills. He had never at this point in his time spent in the Kingdom of the Emerald Hills heard the tale was originally an Emerald Hills legend. Of course that was not impossible given that everyday he learned new things and heard new tales of the empire in which he dwelt.

So he began to research it more, and found that the tale had been lost to time as far as what was in the historical record. That was until he got to the earliest copy of The Tales of Tanglewood he had in his collection. He found a small reference to a necromancer who lived in the Northern edges of Tanglewood. He was, by this volume’s account, said to have been a collector of magical artifacts. It was further said that when the necromancer was destroyed all of the relics and artifacts that the necromancer had collected were destroyed except for the relics that make up the kingdom’s collection.

The volume listed the kingdom relics, and the list included the relics he was familiar with; Heimdall’s Horn, the ring of power, and the Homestone etc. However, there was one more he was not familiar with it was a listing with no description. It was just one word, the shards. He was shocked right out of his research induced haze.

He needed to find the earliest copy of the Tales he could, and see if there was a volume with more than just a footnote about these shards in it. He needed to know more about these things and what their connection was to the recent attacks, and future attacks if his visions came to pass. He first thought of immediately leaving his manor outside of Eagleshire, and flying back to the High Tower of Sorcery in the Emerald City. Than he remembered some of the tomes he had taken for his personal library when he discovered the Library of the Hills. He was pretty sure he had seen a couple of volumes of the Tales in the selections he took, and he suspected one might be older than his oldest volume.

So here he was about to break the seal of dust surrounding this volume of the Tales. Fionnigan breathed in the smell of the ancient pages as he cracked the book open, and thought of the amount of history this book has existed through that was not included on its pages. He looked down at the title page of the ancient volume, and noted the words written below the tile; “Tales and Records of the Kingdom of the Emerald Hills: Collected in this Reign of His Highness Sir Gareth Blackhawk Reign V of the Emerald Hills”.

“Gods above, if this was written in the first reign of the caster king than this volume predates every volume and tome I have in my library. If I don’t find answers here, I don’t know that I will find a volume that contains any.” thought Fionnigan as he began to delve deeper into the text.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:16 pm 

Standing on the prow of his ship Capt Dopplin watches the storm come ever closer across the vast Gryphon's Lake. "Aye 'tis goin to be a bad one mate" he remarks to his first mate. Walking back to take the wheel giving orders all the way to prepare to ride the storm out, he thinks to himself; this is the worst storm he has seen.

The hurricane hits hard; smashing the ship with twenty foot waves and winds buffeting hundreds of miles per hour. It lasts all night finally breaking in the morning; the damage is devastating to the sloop. The mast lays broken across the ship, rope everywhere, and sails shredded; but an island is spotted nearby and listing badly the crew limps the ship into the bay.

"I will be taking six of you with me to get a new mast, the rest of you dogs get to repairing the hull and drag out the spare sail and riggs, bosun, your in charge til we return," orders Capt Dopplin before setting foot off the ship he says, "Send one search party after tonite then escape the best you can."

The jungle is thick and progress slow; a foul stench permeates the air around the center of the island and strange, unnatural sounds echo through the dense forest. A scout is sent and doesn't return, the party continues on to find a mast tree; but something is wrong. All of a sudden, the missing scout steps out of the darkness another party member goes to him to help, but the scout grabs him and bites into his neck. Two more step out of the tree line around the clearing and the battle is on. One vampire, an ugly bald creature with long fangs and claws, charges Capt Dopplin who in turn draws his two rapiers setting for the impact. The creature is unaffected by the sword in its throat, but the stake put in its heart has a particularly different effect.

Looking at his party after the fierce battle there are only three of them left including him, Capt Dopplin orders a return to the ship for more men, upon returning to the site of the battle a crystal shard falls out of the nosferatu's body at Dopplin's feet, turning it over in his hands it has a familiar engraving on it.....

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing