Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing

Post subject: The darkness comes.
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:06 pm 

Spring had finally come to Five Dragons, though the season was not truly the joyous one that many had hoped. The granary had been destroyed by the giants, leaving many hungry. The spring hunting was good, though the need made even that pleasure into a desperate task.

"Hunting was good today." Said Kaiden, as slung the dressed deer onto the table in the kitchens. "We should have enough to get us through the week."

Malran had been more animated recently, but still far less than he had been before Torgier's disappearance. Kaiden, dealing with his own issues during that time, had been away far more than he wanted to be, himself. Malran nodded as he retrieved the butcher's tools.

"You did have luck." He said has he began working on the deer, sectioning it up for smoking and roasting. "Did you find any sign of Mallisyn and Lorhan while you were out there?"

"Nothing." Kaiden replied as he worked. "Nothing but the shield." He referred to Lorhan's shield, which had been found near where the couple had disappeared on a path leading from their homestead to House Singollo.

"I still think it may have been dark elves..." The mention of the dark ones made Malran's eye's flash.

"I won't hear your faerie tales, Kaiden. I know that your kin are capable of great stealth and cruelty but I'm certain that if they were in the area, we would have spotted some sign of their passing. They can't be that stealthy."

Kaiden sighed as he cut a fine slab of loin from his kill. "Trust me, Malran. If my people didn't want to be spotted, they will not be."

"I think you underestimate the eyes of the fae in these woods, my friend. Even the invisible are not immune to their gaze." The two continued the good natured argument as the door opened. Connor and Udories entered the kitchen, their looks announcing that they had serious business to discuss. The two shires of Five Dragons and Dragon Storm had been working closely together since the Giant's attack as both had been hit hard. This visit didn't look like the usual social call between two shires.

"What trouble brings you?" Kaiden asked, a smile coming to his face.

Connor just gave him a hard look, then turned to Malran. "You could ask this one." He said, indicating Kaiden. "We found this not far from our southern border."

What Connor held in his hand was something that everyone in the room recognized. It was a black leather bracer emblazoned with the mark of a raven with eyes upon it's wings.

"Karasu's bracer?" Malran asked. "He's been taken!"

Karasu was one of Malran's trusted friends and, to think that he had been taken along with so many other's brought great pain to his eyes.

"He did leave a clue this time." Connor said, turning the bracer so that an inscription could be seen on the inside. It read, "Dark Elves near Terrel Keep." and nothing more.

"This one's kin took him." Connor said, brandishing the bracer at Kaiden in lieu of an accusing finger. Kaiden just looked at Malran as he said, "I told you so".

Lettusio-Rex, Dreadmoor Fey Jackalope
Member of the House of H.O.P.S.

Post subject: Re: The darkness comes.
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:07 am 

The shire alarm bells sounded off clear into the distance. The remaining men and women in the woods knew what it meant. Time to fallback to the safety of the shire's rebuilt defenses. They counted the repeated pattern of congs. The child had been rescued and it was time to regroup.

The buzz was palpable inside Artus Pass' walls. The child has been rescued from the clutches of an unhold alliance between the last two frost giants and a small Drow war party.

The mother's lament turned into screaming fits of disbelief as she gripped her daughter tightly. Mother frantically checked her child over and over making sure it was not a dream. Sutra stood in the background, a small smile creasing his worried face. He had promised his people the girls resuce. He promised them vengeance. And Artus Pass delivered.

Though they had won this small battle, the war was far from over.

**********1hr before***********

The druid raised his voice and called upon the power of heavenly fire. The frost giant was not prepared for what happened next. The air sizzled around the behemoth as flesh melted off his bones. A thunderous roar escaped his dying mouth. It was a death kneel that startled even the safely hidden inhabitants back at the shire.

A small band of determind villagers treked through the winding forested labyrinth in search of the missing child and their tormentors.

The hunt had just begun.

S
[con't]

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:17 pm 

The moon rose, her alabaster face the largest I had ever seen. She lit up the landscape around Terril Keep like midday. The kind of night that elven eyes hoped for. We wove our way through the trees, following the trail that the invaders had left. I couldn't hear the movement of the other groups that I knew were around me as we approached the cave, but they were there. Their movement so natural through the forest that the trees and bushes seemed to move aside for them instead of them moving among the foliage.

The five figures stood, highlighted against the sky. They, apparently, weren't experienced enough to understand that others could see you against the dark sky. They scanned the forest edge hemming in the scree and boulders among which they had hidden their prizes. I could see Karasu's still form from where I crouched, my bow ready at my side. The call of the whippoorwill cut through the night, causing the figures above to look in that direction, raising their bows as they do. The rest of us closed our eyes. A short flash seen through eyelids, the cry of dismay from above and we were upon them.

I drug Karasu away from the skirmish after taking down two of the dark filth myself. The rest of my clan were taking care of those who didn't scramble for the holes in the ground. Those who found themselves in the forest tonight would die under the eyes of mother moon, which was so bright tonight. It was as if she shed more light for us, her silvery glow bathing the forest in muted grandeur. It was in that moment that I let my guard down.

From the ground below me came a dark shape, arching up toward my face. I was able to dodge just enough to keep the blow from separating my head from my shoulders but I catch the guard of the scimitar in the teeth. I feel a sickening crack somewhere behind my nose as blood flies black into the night air. I am knocked to the ground, my sword falling from my hand as pain cascaded trough my face. I see the silhouette against the moon, which I had been marveling at just seconds before. The blade flashed in the light and arcs downward...To draw sparks from another blade. My eyes follow the blades as they scrape against each other. The tables turned, my attacker goes down under the pommel of Nocav's sword. I try to rise but the pain in my face it too much. Nocav leans over me. "Are you ok?" He asks. I can hear others approaching and I know that I won't die tonight. "I took one alive." Nocav's call follows me into the dark that the moon denied the dark elves this night.

Later that night.....

I stumbled into the great hall of Terril Keep. Other's were there as they had brought me here after I had passed out from the pain of the blow delivered to me. The outline of Baron Connor and King Alby blocked out some of the light coming from the fire pit. Alby sat in a large chair while Connor leaned against the hearth, a mug of some drink in his hand. They both looked up at me as I stumbled in but didn't leap to assist me. I understood that their doing that was a compliment and didn't ask for their help either. I found my way to a chair near them and settled myself into it. From this angle, the evidence of the nights work was more evident on them. Alby had a bandage on his torso where he was pierced by a dark elf arrow and Connor had his share of scraps as bruises as well, though he seemed almost charmed in his ability to avoid serious injury.

"The last I remember." I all but mumbled out. "Novaf wass ssaying that we had caftured one?"

The dark elf had hit my face in such as way that he had neatly removed two of my front teeth. For some reason, the healing arts were not restoring them. The same with Alby's arrow wound.

"We do." said Connor. "Kaiden and some others are 'questioning' it below."

Almost on cue, the sound of a scream, muffled by multiple walls and doors, drifted to my ears.

"I almosst feel sorry for it." I said.

"I don't." Grumbled Alby. "If it won't tell us why it's here, then I'll make sure that it experienced more pain that can imagine possible."

I nodded. "I undersstand how you pfeel." I said. "We need information. What are they looking for?"

We all waited to see what the questioners would bring us.

Lettusio-Rex, Dreadmoor Fey Jackalope
Member of the House of H.O.P.S.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:21 am 

The large figured rushed past the hastily opened gates. He was accompanied by two smaller figures and a limp body in his arms.

Mertag the half elf had found the missing child. Snuck her from out of their enemies hands. He made his kin proud today. The shire needed something positive to rally around.

The festivities continued into the night as drums and dancing filled the hearts of Artus Pass' villagers with elation and temporary relief.

Sutra watched the merriment with a mug in one hand a piece of sweet bread in the other. His eyes focused on the beautiful dancers gracing them this night. The gypsy caravan had found their way through Norreh and Lusynda's Peak's and into the valley where Artus Pass resided.

They brought welcome trinkets, music, and tales. Above all, they brought music and dance.

The crow's cry caught the sheriff's attention. The shade glanced around looking for the feathered harbinger.

'Sutra...'

The sin looked back and focused on the young girls face. He smiled.

'This came in the kingdom post today. Addressed to you.' she said.

The shade glanced at the small letter wavering in her hand. Odd. A missive sent through kingdom post. He couldn't remember the last time he received any news through official means.

He thanked the welcomed messenger and sent her on her way.

The sound of the breaking seal was muffled by the chanting crowd and pulsating dumbeks.

Sutra read. He re-read the hastily written message.

He quietly folded the letter and tucked it back into the envelope.

Young lovers rushed past him, learned men traded racy tales, wives gathered in groups to trade the latest gossip, carefree children played.

Sutra walked leaned against the tree he stood next to and found a welcoming shadow as he whispered an incantation.

The drummers drummed and the dancers danced and all was well in Artus Pass.

S

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:34 am 

As Sutra finished his incantation the monk Knome Lynder came to the edge of the camp and announced his presence. As Knome was greeted he told the half elf Mertag that he must speak to the sherriff Sutra and that he had pressing news from the King and about the Pressing evil mage entering the Artus Pass perimiter. Mertag led knome to sutra and passed the message along to allow Knome an Audience.

"What is this news you bring monk?" Sutra asked with an edge to his voice. Sutra knew of this monk only by reputation for Knome Lynder was only known to make his presence known if there was soon to be a shift in the balance and harmony of Artus Pass.

"The king has one of the dark ones as a prisoner and is drilling for answers. But the evil mage has arrived within our borders showing no hostile actions but I feel there will be trouble soon if we do not get prepared."

Sutra just sits back pondering what to do next, and then they jump as they hear a woman's blood curling scream pierce the quiet night air.

member of the Dwarven Forge household

The Balance and Harmony Dwarf of the Emerald Hills

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:27 pm 

Knome,

"Sutra walked leaned against the tree he stood next to and found a welcoming shadow as he whispered an incantation." = Sutra teleported and is currently MIA from AP.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing