Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing

Post subject: Tales from the Dark side
 Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:56 pm 

The dark of night can hide many things. Ghosts and Goblins among the most likely, but this night hid those who stove against the coming night of deeper darkness. The night was filled with the sounds of feasting, but not the revelry that would accompany such a gathering far to the south in Tanglewood. This feast was of a darker sort. The forces of the portal, as they had come to call themselves, had been gathering over the past months. Readying themselves for a final push that, they believe, will topple the ancient kingdom of the Emerald Hills.

In a fold in the land, hidden from the fires of the dark forces, a trio huddles in the night. By the light of the moon, a trio of darkened faces gaze down upon a glimmer of light cupped in one of their hands. It is held close to the body so that that glimmer does not travel far and reveal their actions to the greater host whom, if they were to discover this rendezvous, would tear the trio limb from limb.

As they speak, each in their turn, into the light, a small figure sits, cozy, in a study not so far away. She hunches over a desk upon which rests a small stone with an inner, purple radiance. She hears the whispers of those far away issue from the stone and dutifully records each word. As soon as the message ends, she scatters sand across the page to dry the ink before carefully folding the pages and sealing them with wax. She walks to the balcony overlooking a courtyard of a modest country manor where she whistles into the wind. Upon that wind flits a small figure who answers the call. Words are exchanged and promises given and kept. The small figure takes the parcel and begins the long journey to the south.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

King Alby opens the sealed message that appeared on his table in the night. He had grown accustomed to the messages just appearing. At first, the little sprites would appear at the most inopportune moments, either causing embarrassment at the best or outright danger at the worst. So, he had commanded the little messengers to leave what they had on his table. He breaks the sealing wax and begins to read the message.

My king,

I hope this message finds the kingdom whole and hale. We have worked these past weeks to gain the confidence of at least one of the captains of the invading force and, through the intelligence gathered from the dark elf captured at Terrel keep and the invaluable knowledge of Kaiden, we have succeeded in working our way into a scouting troop. So far, no one suspects that they have spies in their midst.

So far, we have ascertained that the next creature that will be summoned through the portal will be something called a Tezcatlipoca, some type of spirit cat. Noone here knows what these things can do other than a vague uneasiness from even the most powerful creatures that have come through so far. Even the dark elves, known for their haughtiness, do not speak of these creatures.

By now, you have seen the dragons. I am sorry that I was unable to send word before they came but the camp had been in motion to the summoning spot and we were busy scouting, warning those that we came across of the danger they were in when we could. We were not as successful as we hoped to be.

Upon arrival at the site, I was stunned at the shear number of creatures that have made their way through the portal. We were not able to get a reliable count but there at to be thousands of the creatures milling about the valley that we had taken over. At the center of the valley was a small pool. It must have been spring-fed for not stream ran to it but the water was as clear as could be. Those who came too close were warned away from the assorted shamans, mystics and wizards who seemed to have formed an alliance. I believe that this group is what is holding the horde together now. Before, I thought it was the obvious giants or the like but Karasu's prediction seemed to have come to pass. In fact, it was he that found out what the gathering was truly about.

It seems that our enemy had the ability to summon the portal to a specific location. On the night of the waning moon's quarter, this ritual may be preformed to summon the portal. I do recall that there was something about opening or closing such a portal in the book that I had discovered among the documents at the bardic college. It was called "Quentale Laiambos" or "History of the Elves of the Emerald Hills". I believed that the version that I had was not a complete copy and I had hoped to see if any other copies existed, maybe one that was more complete than then one that I had. In any event, Here is the details of the ritual.

It requires four casters, a wizard, a healer, a druid and a bard, who arrange themselves around a spring or pool under the light of a waning moon. I surmise that some light from the moon may be required so that a new moon will not work though a crescent would be ideal.

Each caster intones a phrase in what sounded like an ancient elven dialect though it could be some derivative of the elven tongue, much as or commonly spoken language is. I cannot be specifically certain about the specific words but I will attempt to recite the incantations as I heard them.

autanosta lustallon,
Tinta hlaiwa Morelomen Yesta Samnota,
Epe Cuieva Firimar ar hravan,
I Laicafauca Tamin ya linandave lamas,
elwen nerindi nurolva oaxamaile,
yaruela loya huru varusea,
Hrave ar Ealar racina lo avalerya,
tultasinome I alata morifeate.

I sincerely hope that someone there can make sense of these words. I also hope that our scouting mission will end soon as I have grown truly weary of the company of dark elves and vampires. Their tastes in wine are appalling and their conversation even more so.

As always, your faithful servant,

Lord Malran Singollo

Lettusio-Rex, Dreadmoor Fey Jackalope
Member of the House of H.O.P.S.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing