Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing

Post subject: Heart of Darkness
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:40 pm 

“Good than I leave him to your care, mage.” said Duke Sutra as he teleported out of the room in a cloud of black smoke that smelled faintly of sulfur.

Time and space collapsed on itself. With time and experience, the dark one had seen more than the common resident of the realm.

He had imagined the destination like he had always done. Only this time, something wasn't right. It felt like a tug of an annoying thread. A tendril of invisible hair tightly wound around a finger. The tug turned to a slight pull. Sutra's momentum began to stall.

A teleport. Simple once mastered, complex in theory. An action that was unhindered and impossible to disrupt. Only a trained scout could track the invisible path taken by a teleporting entity. But something had managed to reach into the fabric of the in between and find him.

Dark coils reached out and ripped the shade from his effortless phasing and into oblivion.

Sutra writhed in angry horror as memories long buried flashed before his eyes. Yet they were not memories. They were moments in time he was forced to relive.

Sutra roared against this travesty. Darkness pulled harder, seemingly feeding off of the master assassin's rage.

'Come to me Bahuas.' whispered the void.

The young man served steaming water to the high table under the giant earth-toned canopy. The winter air hurt, but it was the smiles of the people that warmed his heart.

Sutra took the mantle of champion at Midnight Sun. He was young then. His eagerness to serve the people was so naive.

The shade removed the black and green tabard, laying it down at the altar of Morgorach. He was left with nothing. He was determined to find something grander than himself that day.

The blade slid effortlessly from his first assignment. The black and silver tabard stained under the sanguine hue.

The young man began his trek as apprentice to the ancient known as Sir Delphos. There was no turning back.

The young man stepped up and defended the crown in the absence of its rightfully declared champion. The kingdom remained unscathed.

Wiping the sweat from his brow, Sutra negotiated peace between Queen Reine and Barony of Finder's Keep. A new duchy was born that day as his brothers Rage and Kofka agreed to terms with Sir Forest.

Pinning his dark locks back, the kingdom crown slid down to sit on his head. He vowed to bring a renaissance to the people of his kingdom. He would be a good king.

The elven court bowed as he declared his sidhe brethren free from persecution. Sutra vowed to protect them as their Finvarra at the pain of death.

Alice lay peacefully under the moonlight. Sutra had lost her again. The king of hearts lay shattered at her side.

He shuddered at the empty words of the ancient, causing great grief in his heart. His path to apathy would prove quite expensive.

The seed spark shimmered in his hand as he plucked it from the womb of the Gardens of Quendelie. The empty halls would awaken again soon.

The Shire of Artus Pass blossomed with the help of key allies. Sutra's heart slowly began to mend.

The dark one's heart leapt at the prospect of having found his young apprentice. She was to be his legacy.

Desolation was not enough to describe the emptiness he felt when his neonate shadow faded away.

Pulling all of his energies together, the seed spark called to him. It guided him back to the Gates of Quendelie. Sutra saw the rebirth of the Elven Court.

The lone figure scoured the dark library seeking answers that would aid the barbarian king in his quest against the darkness hiding behind the veil.

The portal stood open. The kingdom prepared to march through.

Darkness swallowed him whole.

Sutra started up suddenly. The darkness here pulsed. It breathed. He could feel its heartbeat.

The void was alive.

Sutra's hands shot to his hips seeking his poisoned dagger. Nothing. The dagger was gone. Slowly, Sutra realized that his scabbard was lacking as well.

The shades mind reeled in panic as he realized his hip was not the solid flesh and bone he had taken for granted all his life. Frantically, Sutra reached out and grasped at nothing. His physical being was no more. A floating consciousness in oblivion.

'I must be dead...' thought the sin.

'Not quite young one.' answered the choir of whispers. 'I know your desires and your questions.' It pained the dark shade to listen and yet he yearned for the darkness to never cease speaking.

'Where do we begin...'

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post subject: Re: Heart of Darkness
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:08 pm 

'Were do we begin...’ probed the darkness.

The assassin wrestled with the thought that his time had come.

I swear by the all the infernal daemons of the nethe...

'Shhhh...' hissed the consciousness. 'Still your mind child.'

Sutra fell silent at the sound of the command. The voices reached deep within his being. It tugged at every fiber of his being. As if the void was a part of him. It was much more infinite than he could fathom. He remained still.

The voices had a familiar tone to them as time ticked by. Was there even time here. The concept of time. So temporary. He drifted for what seemed ages.

‘We think he’s ready…’ the voices agreed.

The pitch black cracked. It was nothing spectacular. But the shift was noticeable. The darkness did not recede or pull back to reveal a legion of faces. It simply faded to white.

Overwhelming and penetrating, the light seared his spirit. No pain. No suffering.

The sensation was familiar. Something in the aether seemed sooo familiar.

‘I think he finally gets it!’ giggled an young voice.

‘I think he does…’ replied an elderly tone.

The shade found himself standing in a green field. Barley to be exact. At least he thought it was barely. Wait high and flowing like water in the slight breeze. The air filled his lungs but he did not breath. The light shinned bright but there was no source. His flesh was complete but it did not feel. Sensation was produced from within. Everything here existed from the inside.

Sutra realized no shadow was cast here. No darkness for secrets and pain to find peaceful respite. Everything here was as it was. And it was beautiful. The sin tried to remember the color of hate and vengeance. There was nothing to draw upon. He remembered the concept of anguish and avarice, but they were mere words in his mind.

‘You definitely have your mothers eyes.’ Spoke the gentle wind.

Sutra spun towards the source of the eloquent voice.

The woman stood. A halo of divinity emanated from her. Dignified and undeniable. Her silver hair was neatly pulled back. Her emerald robes, trimmed in intricately designed gold patterns shimmered in the ambient light. She smiled. Her hazel eyes sparkled like newborn stars.

At her side, holding her hand tightly was a young boy. His large brown eyes were filled with curiosity, yet he seemed to have tomes of knowledge locked within. The child tilted his head to the left and giggled. Her laughter was like refreshing water to a parched spirit.

Sutra did not have to ask.

He recognized her instantly. Tears welled up in his eyes. His heart leapt out of his chest, demanding action on his part. Falling to his knees, the awoken shade howled in happiness, tears streaming down his cheeks, clouding his vision.

‘It’s okay..go to him.’ She said.

The young boy rushed to the weeping man and nearly bowled him over with tremendous force for such a small being. The child wrapped his small arms around Sutra’s neck and whispered. ‘I knew I’d see you again papa.’

For the second time in his life, the saddest of hearts beat again.

Sutra was home.

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:08 am 

For the second time in his life, the saddest of hearts beat again.

Sutra was home.

The small child breathed life back into the shivering figure. A spark of life flickered in the darkest recess of Sutra’s spirit. He had hallowed out almost any semblance of compassion and humanity in an attempt to fashion himself into a replica of angry bitterness that surrounded him.

The shade had neared oblivious perfection in rending all desire or hope from his spirit. It appeared that this was not his path.

‘The darkness is not your domain, nor you theirs.’ the glorious woman declared.

The child slowly pulled back and cupped the bearded man’s face in his hands molding the tired cheeks into funny shapes. Young inquisitive eyes studied the weathered face.

Speaking over his small shoulder, the boy declared his observations to the beautiful woman.

“He’s younger than I remember him nana.”

‘Nana’ smiled proud.

“Aye, that he is.” She confirmed.

“Mama’s waiting.” The young boy assured Sutra. “She even made our favorite. I’ll race you home!” Rewarding the kneeling baron with a second tight neck hug, the young boy was off like a fox into the waving grass.

Sutra remained still, not wanting to wake up from his most coveted dream.

“Angelo is eleven. Eleven and eight months if you ask him.”

“He has her smile.” the shade trembled. He swallowed hard before peering back up to the majestic figure. “Is she…” he began.

“Just over that ridge…” the welcoming woman said, pointing to her right.

“Am I…dead?”

“Don’t be silly Sutra. If anything, you’re more alive than most of the so called living you’ve meet back in Emeria.”

“So that would make this…” the anxious man calculated.

“You’re overdue respite.” Her silver hair shimmered in the light. Her golden eyes peered beyond flesh and bone. Through hopes and dreams. Sutra experienced a glimpse of her wisdom once before when the Mallabus threatened the kingdom.

Sutra bowed his head, placing his hands before him in a diamond shape.

“I am humbled by your everlasting grace and love. I pray I have not squandered your blessings away…Ishia.”

Mother smiled upon the humbled figure. Her aura extended into the aether in the form of a thousand million names, in tongues not yet born; visions yet unseen. She had taken this form to keep her creation from collapsing under the sheer magnitude of her true essence.

“Come. She is waiting.” she spoke.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:53 am 

The outline of the humble homestead was framed by a pair of tall firs. The scent of candied carrots wafted through the forest air. A gentle plume of gray smoke rose from the chimney. It was exactly as he had imagined, only a little more weathered. The thatched roof still looked strong. The small garden he had helped plow was thriving with Rosemary and Asparagus.

Her favorite.

The latticed fence stood 3 feet tall, seemingly encapsulating the quaint little home from the rest of the world.

The Great Mother had decided in her infinite wisdom; to pluck her simple creation out of thin air and place him here. In a dream. Something that could not be but was. Only the Great Spirit could unweave what had been woven.

Sutra stood at the foot of the river rock path that led up to the entrance of the familiar home. He stood in the shade offered by the ivy draped archway that she had bound with rope and laughter.

‘But why…’ the confused man hesitated.

‘Why not?’ offered Ishia. ‘You’re heart called to this place. It called out to her.’

The memories of her raven black hair and haunting gray eyes flooded back in a rush of emotion and anticipation. The image of what he had thought was the women he had lost so long ago appearing to him in the Emerald Library slowly faded away.

Sutra accepted the reality that malicious forces had been hard at work, fabricating a reality that would lull the masses into an apathetic slumber. Those too strong to give in would be ground to dust and repurposed. The will of what or whoever lay on the other side of portal had begun to take hold of Emeria. Others knew it by the common tongue name of the Emerald Hills.

He shivered, not at the thought of waited for him back in the otherverse, but of what his heart told him was unfolding before his eyes.

‘Dinner’s ready.’ exclaimed the melodic voice. The feminine voice stirred what Sutra could only imagine to be butterflies in his stomach.

‘Wash up Angelo.’

Sutra glanced over to Mother, his usual calm demeanor failing him, tear stained cheeks blushing in the early evening light.

‘Well? What are you waiting for?’ inquired the origin of creation.

Sutra failed to respond. His jaw had slacked into a simple man’s reaction, slowly turning his gaze back to the very real image of home.

Calling upon every fiber of strength, Sutra made his way up to the open door. Closing his eyes, Sutra inhaled deeply. This was his greatest leap of faith yet.

Mother’s voice trickled across his spirit.

‘For you have healed many through faith, now faith shall heal you.’

Stepping across the threshold, he took in the moment and gazed upon the woman who knelled at the fireplace. She was busy stirring what smelled to be his favorite he thought.

‘Mine too.’ whispered a young voice.

Sutra peered down to his right and noticed the most beautiful lavender eyes staring back at him. The child must have been no older than seven. She smiled up at the tired traveler. Her rosy cheeks and stair stepped smile melted his heart.

‘I knew you’d come back.’ the child whispered. Her tiny hand reached out and held his.
They would have called their daughter Duija. Angelo if it had been a boy.

Angelo slipped to Sutra’s left, looking up approvingly before reaching out and cupping the man’s hand with his own.

The woman at the fireplace draped a towel across her right shoulder before turning to face her small audience.

Her dark hair was long and hastily pulled back into a pony tail. Perspiration caused her to glow with the beauty of industry. She was never one for sitting around idly. She was always in motion. Tending to the livestock, mending worn out clothes for the local elders, teaching the locals how to read and write. She was consumed by action. It made her who she was.

Kind, loving, loyal, nurturing, determined yet patient and so much more. She was his and he her’s.

She was the woman he had called wife and best friend once. In a different life. Before he lost her. Twice.

‘I bet you taste of sunshine…’ Sutra said.

She playfully rebuffed him the first time he spoke those words so many years ago. It was his sense of humor and gentleness she said attracted her to him.

All she could do was smile. And smile she did.

Alice smiled for him again.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:50 am 

The early evening turned into late evening and early morning.

Dinner was a spectacle for the newly reunited family. Sutra spent countless hours being introduced to the young girl and boy who both shared their mother’s eyes. Duija had her mother’s intense curiosity for the world and her father’s insatiable desire to see it. Angelo was a fountain of wisdom, his age fooling any onlooker with what he was aware of. He was graceful and polite much like papa.

Mother and children laughed at the tales of the interesting characters their father had come across in his travels in Emeria. About the friendships he had forged with the barbarians of the North. Of how he had run across a talking white rabbit. How he had seen the good and bad in men. The children’s imaginations ran wild as their father described the alabaster walls of the kingdom proper. Of how the building of a new seat of power in a land not so distant from where he lived was under construction. He even described the small but strong walls of the Barony of Artus Pass. The place he had most recently called home.

He told them about his friends. About the Garden’s of Quendelie and it’s noble people. Of the pride of cats who had taken him in and made their own. Of the Norreh’s, Talrens, Tigers, and countless others who had aided him in his journey. Of what being a king to a people was like.

Duija was the first to slump over in her chair. Her brown hair framed her cherub features. Angelo’s eyes were weary with defiance, struggling to stay awake so he could hear more about the monsters that lived behind a magical portal of some sort and how the people of Emeria had bravely fought them off.

Sutra tucked Duija into bed. Tugging at the covers before taking a moment of letting it all sink in. He pressed his lips gently aginst her forehead. He whispered a prayer of protection over her. The same prayer his own mother sang for him when he was a child. He peered over and checked to make sure Angelo had everything he needed before dozing off into dreams of fighting dragons and were-creatures alongside his father.

‘Can you finish the story about how you helped the last king find all the pieces to the puzzle he had lost?’ inquired the sleepy boy.

‘You better believe it. And I’ll also tell you how my knight saved the day when I thought our Regent’s crown was lost forever.’ Sutra confirmed.

Angelo’s eyes smiled. ‘I love you papa.’ the child murmured before closing his eyes.

All the libraries in the world could encase in writing what Sutra felt at that moment sitting in the same room with the offspring he had been cheated out of a lifetime ago. Here they were. Alive and well. And they loved him.

Alice’s hand gripped the man’s shoulder as she lowered herself against his back. Wrapping her arms around his neck, she pressed her face against his. Tears welled up in
his eyes. Her voice cooed to him as she cradled his trembling shoulders.

‘I can remember my first passing. Oh my dearest Eshau. How you set upon that murderous thief.’ Alice paused and sipped from the mug sitting between them. They sat alone on a wooden bench in the back garden, taking in the cool midnight air.

An ocean of twinkling stars seemed to sing inaudible melodies to one another.

‘I had sooo much to tell you.’ Alice picked up. ‘About how much I loved you. And how I would see you again.’ She weakly smiled.

‘I remember the pact I made with the ancient. How he promised me the chance of seeing you again.’ Her eyes communicated to Sutra what she could not do in words.

Alice gently laughed, holding back tears. He had done it before. Laughter was his method of dealing with pain and regret. But he had yet to feel anything of the sort here.

‘So Ishia plucked you out Emeria and brought you here?’ Alice inquired.

‘She did.’

Sutra thought hard before asking. ‘And you. The children. I don’t understa…’

Alice’s smile expressed loving patience.

‘Mother called to me. She rescued me from oblivion. At least I think it was oblivion. She brought me here. She explained her plan to me. At least as much of it that she thought I would be able to handle in one day. Ishia said I’d understand in the morning.’ Alice smiled again.

‘I woke up in our bed. I woke up to our children. And I remembered everything. I remembered a past we never lived. But it was my reality. Our reality.’

Sutra’s mind reeled at his love’s explanation. It explained his awkwardness when he meet Angelo and Duija. It explained his disbelief in everything. His faith today had been pressed to the limits today.

‘And then today, you came home.’ Alice concluded. ‘You came home.’

This place held much magic that was beyond his understanding. He made a mental note to ask Ishia. He had so many questions. But none as pressing as sitting here basking in Alice’s company.

Alice and Sutra sat quietly. Without speaking, their hands joined in a tight union as they sat under the cover of night.

Resting her head on his right shoulder, she sighed and closed her eyes.

No pain. No hatred flickered in their spirits. Only gratitude for what the weaver of all that is or was and ever will be had gifted to them. A second chance.

‘It’s getting late Eshau, we should go inside…’ Alicia smiled. She had let her hair down after they put the children to bed. Her glowing eyes seemed to read his thoughts.

‘Will I remember in the morning?’ Sutra whispered.

‘I know you will…’ his beloved responded.

Sutra leaned forward and kissed her right cheek. The salty taste of earth and air lingered on his lips. He kissed her left cheek. A sweet trace of candied carrots. Smiling, she kissed his lips.

Sunshine. She still tasted of sunshine.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:06 am 

The sunshine poured warmly across Sutra’s flesh. The warm sheets and soft pillow lulled him to stay in bed. The smell of inviting breakfast proved to be more convincing.

Slipping out of bed and into freshly laundered clothing, Sutra made his way down to the kitchen. Duija was busy mixing a bowl of what appeared to be eggs and flour. Angelo was expertly cutting slivers of bacon into equal portions. Alice managed to supervise the whole production while pressing oranges into juice.

He stood at the kitchen entrance waiting to wake up in some ditch covered in slop or rolling out of a straw bed in a dingy inn room.

Breakfast was as filling as the company of his wife and children.

As the hours ticked by, they sat recalling Angelo’s first birthday and the day he proved himself an adept dabbler in earth and water majicks. They remembered Duija’s first steps and her ability to sense the thoughts of others. Alice remembered the moments she first laid eyes on her newborn children. And how Sutra was faithfully there by her side welcoming their offspring into the world.

It all came back to him. Every single memory that had never been. Every single moment he himself had fabricated back in Emeria. When he was held captive by murderous mercenaries. When he lay splayed out at the mercy of carrion birds after having failed to make his destination to a meeting with the tribes of the South. He remembered now.

Remembered cradling his children. Singing and dancing with them in the rain. Reading passages from the Cantos Al’ Ishia, stories recanting the creation of the Sidhe and the unification of man and elf and the heartache that followed in the wake of the Mallabus myth.

He remembered the morning he set off into the woods, vowing to return with a basket full of trout or a healthy buck. That was the morning they last saw him. It was the same day the man who sat at their table showed up.

Ishia revealed her plan to them in their dreams. Explained to Alice how all of this would make sense in the morning. How the life she and her husband never had would be made whole again. How Sutra would come to understand the same way Alice did. Through the grace of faith and hope.

Sutra was now the same man who the children had been reared by. The same man who Alice snuggled next to every night. The same man he imagined himself being so many times.

The knock at the door pulled Sutra back to reality.

‘I got it!’ Duija shouted. Slipping out from the chair, her small legs carried her to the door and swung it wide open revealing a silver haired woman at the door.

Ishia was dressed in a simple earth toned dress gripping a woven basket in her right hand.

The small girl quickly wrapped her arms around Ishia’s waist and giggled.

‘And a good morning to you little one.’ Mother replied.

Looking up from the small frame of the hugging child, the grandmotherly figure peered into the kitchen and smiled. ‘I thought a warm batch of sugared rolls would round out breakfast.’

Morning folded into early afternoon. The sharing of stories continued.

The table was cleaned and dishes washed.

‘Today’s market day and the children have been begging me to visit their aunt.’ Alice mentioned as she set the children to pack a lunch. ‘We’ll be back before dark love.’ She smiled.

Sutra kneeled down and embraced his youngest. She cupped his cheeks and form a funny face causing everyone to giggle. Sutra’s heart sang. Angelo approached his father and produced a small woven circle with a single line running horizontally through it. Placing the simple little amulet on a piece of leather around his father’s neck, Angelo smiled before walking out the door with Duija in tow.

Sutra stood face to face with Alice. He gazed deeply into her eyes and held her. He felt her warmth. She was in his arms. Not dying. Not passing into the great unknown. She was off to see her sister with their children in tow. And he would see her again.

Exchanging one last afternoon kiss, Sutra cupped her left cheek and wished her a safe walk into town. Alive walked out the door as she called out to the children to wait up for her.

Ishia sat patiently at the table. Sutra joined the ancient spirit, wringing his hands as he sat across from her.

‘So now what.’ he cautiously asked. There was always a catch. Always something to be given in exchange.
‘Now you go home.’ she calmly replied.
‘Come again?’
‘Your business back in Emeria is incomplete.’
‘Wait. What?’
‘There is a balance lacking in the Emerald Hills. One you must help restore.’
‘No no no no no….I think I misheard you…it sounded like you said I’m to go back to Emeria.’

Ishia sat unmoved.

‘You mean to tell me that after you show me all of this, you want me to leave it behind?’
‘You’re leaving nothing behind Bahuas. It will all be waiting here when you’re done. The house. The children. Alice. All of it.’
‘You’re not making any sense…’ Sutra demanded. Emotions he had enjoyed not experiencing began to well up again.
‘My will is not done in the Emerald Hills child…’
‘Then send someone else!’

The ancient face simply smiled and waited for Sutra to regain his composure.

‘I’m sorry. It’s just…’
‘I know.’
‘But why now, like this?’
‘Time is not the same here as it is back in Emeria. As it differs from plane to plane. From reality to reality.’ Ishia explained. ‘What will feel like a couple more years there, will be but an afternoon’s walk to and from the market here.’

Sutra’s calm demeanor began to melt away.

‘You bring an element to the table that is integral to my purpose in Emeria.’
Sutra crossed his arms and frowned.
‘When you’re work is done, you are free to come back and stay here with your family till the end of time.’ Ishia sipped warm tea from her cup.
‘I feel like all of this is some kind of cruel jo…’
‘My sweet Sutra. You feel because I can’t send you back to Emeria void of emotions. You feel so you can survive there. You feel because I love you like every atom of my creation.’
‘Does Alice know?’
‘You’ll be back before she notices. It will be up to you if you decide to tell her.’
‘When do I go back?’ Sutra implored.
‘Now.’
‘Now?’
‘Yes.’

The light seemed to dim all around him. The sensation of falling tugged at him again. The house creaked and moaned all around him, seemingly coming alive. The walls cracked and hanging fruit molded into dust. Glass melted away and the table he sat at leaned to the right. The chair he sat in buckled. The crack of wood followed suit as he found himself falling backwards unto the wet and dingy floor. The roof cracked in half, parts of the house fell in on itself.

Sutra stood in the dead house. Ishia gazed upon him undeterred.

‘Your work here is not done.’ She whispered before fading away.

Sutra stood alone. It was not anger that boiled up inside him like it had so many times before. He did not suffer the cruel effect of loss either. He could feel Alice. He could feel his children. Their beating hearts drummed for him. He could feel them across the rift.

Selfless determination. The spark of unbridled determination set his spirit on fire.

His work here was indeed not done. Ishia blessed him with the gift of life. With the life of his wife he had lost long ago. With the life of his two children he would have never known. With the life he could only visualize in a form of a hazy daydream.

He would bring Her will to the people. He would make them see. He would go back home.

Stepping outside into the early morning air, Sutra took one last look at the wooden corpse he had left behind years ago. Sutra’s heart sang knowing his home was bursting with life in a reality that would soon be his.

This forgotten house sat alone in the darkness, housing the ghosts of Sutra’s past here in Emeria.

There was much to be done. His first stop would be back to Hellblazers abode, where he left his feverish knight in the care of Fionnigan.

His motion across time and space was effortless.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing