Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:41 pm 

House of Mirrors [RP for ES Crown Visit 2.18.07]

The thick cloud of sandlewood incense was constrictingly painful.

Curly locks fell over the sweating face, another flask of sanctimonious something was dumped into the overheated pit. The monk could see things in the fresh cloud of ash and heat that others would simply ignore or overlook.

Sutra choked, holding his breath again; focusing blood shoot eyes on the waving hand and trembling lip.

He could remember the first time he had seen the holy man, seemingly lost in the depths of Tangewoods some years back. He was a guide even then, some listened, others only ridiculed him.

Something about him led Sutra back to seek information.

There was value in bloodless knowledge.

Impatience had dug deep into his spirit.

'Well? What do you see?'

The vision seer smirked, hinting at amusement. The monarch had come to seek him out. A humble man, not seeking fame nor fortune. The one whose brow held the burden of a metallic ornament had come looking for his assistance. How unassumingly odd.

'What will you have me see?' asked the cryptic monk.

Not sure what to make out of the man's riddles, Sutra only managed an impatient frown and asked again.

'I said...what...do...you...see...Gabriel?'

The monk closed his eyes and inhaled deeply, the cloud of thick smoke funneled into the man's nostrils.

He had grown impatient, having spent two hours watching this 'shaman' go through books and arcane incantations only to watch him seek 'counsel' with the spirits.

'Gabriel...'

Orbless eyes meet his own, Gabriel's eyes had faded into an oblivious white. Sutra's hand instinctively reached for his weapon, readying himself for any nasty surprises.

'Grand Inquisitor Sutra...what will you have me see?'

Before Sutra could angrily retort Gabriel exhaled deeply, a blood red haze enveloping the fire at which they sat at. For a moment, Sutra's head spun and his thought's fell silent.

---------------------------------

The shouting of majcks and whistling of violent volleys of arrows and enchanted spells drowned out the screams and shouts, clanging swords and shields.

Sutra turned to examine his environment. He stood on a path, the edges lined with mirrors and macabre images of death. Heinous reflections cast back at him.

He knew he was not alone.

It was a sensation he could not explain.

Sutra wove through the tangle mass of fighting men. Those loyal to him wore the heart and cross, this he knew, the court's device emblazoned on his brave armies chest and heart.

Their foes wore a different mark. A mark of the tearing eye. The eye of eternal torment. Of never ending misery. Of Alice.

Sutra's arrows found the heart's of many enemies, yet his arrows were no match to the sheer numbers his small force faced. Mask covered faces found their way around the mirrored labyrinth.

They found what they had been sent to capture. They had found the imprisoning prophecy for what he could not see. Moments turned to eternity as the loyal men and women fell to the numerous blades and dark majicks that battered his forces.

He stood on the path. Lone and fatigued. He watched as the dark figure recited the incantation that would release the blasphemy. The dark figure raised it's arms in undeserved victory, it's black hood slipping back to reveal the warlocks face.

Nexus!?

Sutra stood outraged as the reflection cast doubt and hatred back at Sutra. The image of Prince Nexus was crystalline and unquestionable.

The splitting thunder clap flung the overwhelmed monarch to his knees. The mirror splintered into an infinity of fragmented questions and doubts.

There she stood. Like a painting that captured all the twisted fetish of chaotic oblivion, she stood staring back at him. Blood dripped from her slender fingers. There to her right side, loyally stood a four legged monstrosity he had only heard children's tales about.

Sutra drew his last arrow, nocking it and defiantly aimed. The creature unfurled it's giant maw revealing rows of mirror fragments for teeth. A deep guttural growl shook the very earth.

Standing on his feet, Sutra let lose his last arrow as the beast leapt violently at it's prey. The arrow struck true, between the ribcage, low and to the right. Immediately, Sutra's snug smirk turned into focused horror as he realized his shot was not enough.

The sensation of crushing bone had never felt so real.

------------------------------

Sutra reeled back in angry panic.

Gabriel sat patiently. The fire had died out, at least a few hours back.

With a shivering voice, the unsettled monarch demanded.

'What I have seen, how can I glean any truth from it..."

The monk only smiled and slowly stood before retiring for the night.

'Do I lose at this next battle?
Does Nexus truly betray his own kingdom?
Do I...die?'

An amused chuckle escapes the monk.

'This house of mirrors...not everything is as it seems.'

'I'm done playing games monk! Now answer me!'

'Where some experience failure, some find success.
Where some fear traitorous deeds, other's will know loyal faithfulness.
And where some find death...only a few...are only ever really born.'

Silently, the monk exits the makeshift shelter.

Sutra stands repeating the gods forsaken riddle he had just committed to memory. Emerging from the shabby home, Sutra waves to a rider, sending a message to the small contingent of allies he can trust of his presence in the Eagles' shire.

Soon, all questions would be answered.

S
[con't]

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing