Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing

Post subject: Waking the Dead
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:39 pm 

“ But you're not talking about a standard resurrect.” Draeven stated flatly.

“Well than a reanimate for that matter.” replied Fionnigan.

“But again you're not talking about a standard reanimate. What you are talking about is bringing a body back from death after it has been gone for years. It can't be done. The fact of the matter is a healer only has so much time to bring a person back from death before the spirit's connection to the body is severed for all time. A reanimate and the rites of necromancy only animate the body. There's no spirit it's simply the will of the mage acting through the dead body. Which is why you can reanimate bodies that have been dead for many years.” replied Draeven in a matter of fact way.

Draeven picked up the half full pewter pint mug, and drained its remaining contents. He sat the mug back down on the table, and gestured with his hand to the bar maid standing nearby. The large breasted red head smiled, nodded, and headed back to the bar to fetch the healer another mug. This pub was half way between the royal houses of healing and Fionnigan's magic shop. The two had been meeting there to have drinks and discuss the nature of metaphysics for years.

“What if you could?” asked Fionnigan.

“What if you could what?” asked Draeven.

“What if you could draw the spirit back into the body and resurrect it long after the deceased has passed?” asked Fionnigan.

“What you're talking about is impossible. It goes against everything that is taught in every house of healing and ever sorcery school across Amtgardia.” replied Draeven.

“Why is that?” Fionnigan responded.

“Because it's not possible to do, man. That's why. It is universally known that the spirit can't be brought back to the body once the ethereal connection has been severed. What you are suggesting is impossible.” replied Draeven as the bar maid brought him another full mug of ale.

“What I'm suggesting is combining what we know of magic, and what we know of the arts of healing then using that knowledge to extend our ability to resurrect.” Fionnigan said.

“You've gone completely sideways, man. You're never going to achieve an unlimited resurrection. It's impossible.” responded Draeven.

“Listen Draeven, you're one of the best healers I know. I want to study the healing arts. I truly believe that if I can combine what we know of healing magic and necromancy that I can expand our knowledge of resurrection and master the force of life itself.” replied Fionnigan.

“I tell you what I will do for you. Since you're so damn determined to attempt this exercise in futility, I will teach you everything I know about healing magic and medicine. Then, once you have all of the knowledge we have of the healing arts, you will know exactly how pointless all of this is.” said Draeven.

I do not suffer fools gladly, and fools with white belts never.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post subject: Re: Waking the Dead
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:18 pm 

Sometime in the Recent Past...

“Come zis vay, Master Hellblazer.” said the hunched over woman in the thick accent of the Old Tongue.

The woman was one of the Little Sisters of the Eternal Fire. The Little Sisters of the Eternal Fire were a small group of female clerics that maintained the oldest healing house in the Burning Lands. Their origins were closely tied to the origins of the first kingdom. They had cared for the needy, sick and dying for thousands of years. They chose their members from the women of the Burning Lands, but only those whose lineage could be traced back to the first tribe, the Bruntmen. They taught their members the old tongue, and when speaking with each other, spoke only the speech of the first men.

Fionnigan Hellblazer stepped into the squat but expansive stone temple. The cold desert wind blowing outside whipping the hood of his robes around his head. As he entered the temple the master wizard and necromancer pulled the hood back from his closely cropped raven hair. The little sister pushed the great wooden door to the convent closed with a thud. She shuffled past Fionnigan holding the lantern aloft in the darkness.

“Ve ver instructed to contact you ven ve received the body.” continued the little sister.

“How long have you had the body?” asked Fionnigan.

“Only a month. Ze time it took to get a message to you, and for you to travel here.” replied the little sister as the two approached a long hallway.

“Who brought the body to you?”

“Ve aren't sure. Zey never showed zer faces, and only vun of zem spoke to us, and all I could tell was he vus vun of your people. He had ze acccent of ze Emerald Men.” replied the little sister as the two walked futher into the darkness of the hallway.

“Interesting. And this person told you to contact me?” Fionnigan inquired skeptical of the little sisters story.

“Zat is correct, Master Hellblazer.” said the little sister as she stopped in front of a dark aged oak door. “Ze body is inside zis room. I must varn you ze body has not been care for in any vay as per ze instructions ve received. It is as it vuz brought to us.”

The little sister pulled a ring of keys from beneath her habit. She separated a large iron skeleton key from the others on the ring, and pushed into the receiving lock. She turned the key, and there was the expected click of the lock being opened. She opened the door with a loud creak. Fionnigan made his way into the room taking a torch from one of the sconces hanging on the wall. On a large wooden table sitting under a stained gray sheet was a body.

Fionnigan walked over to the table and pulled back the sheet to reveal the body of Sir Delphos Darkheart the Shadow that Walks. His face had been picked at by carrion birds, but the face was unmistakable, it was Sir Delphos or at least what remained of him on this plane. The necromancer stared at the body wondering why of all of the people in Amtgardia or his own company for that matter he was the one chosen for this task.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post subject: Re: Waking the Dead
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:40 pm 

Fionnigan led Draeven down the long stone spiral stairs the torches in sconces every ten steps lighting the way. The Emerald City had existed for three thousand years and throughout that time the city itself had been almost destroyed and rebuilt many times over. Many different kings and queens had sat upon the throne, and had left their stamp on the city.

During the reign of Lorn Ironwolf the catacombs and sewers of the Emerald City were built. A network of natural tunnels and caves ran like a honeycomb underneath the city, and the king knew this. He hired an army of dwarves who lived in the hills that surrounded the Emerald Valley, and set them to the task of building an underground city beneath the city. The dwarves set to their task and within just a few years the catacombs and the sewers of the Emerald City were a reality.

The nobility and great houses of the realm placed their dead in tombs that lined the Houses of the Dead underneath the Emerald Keep. It was here that Fionnigan was leading Draeven. He had purchased a dying noble family's mausoleum and had setup a laboratory there. The arts he was delving in of late were better worked in a place touched by death and the spirits of the dying.

Finally they came to a large landing where there was a doorway with a large ironwood door on ancient hinges. Fionnigan produced a pale white scrimshaw turtle from underneath the folds of his black robes, and held out his hand palm up with the turtle sitting on his open palm. The turtle then came to life, let out a high pitch shriek and shuffled to the edge of Fionnigan's palm.

Fionnigan squatted down and placed the hand holding the scrimshaw turtle near the ground. The turtle shrieked again looked back at Fionnigan than turned to face the door and hopped off the necromancer's hand. The turtle then scrambled across the moss covered jade floor and came to rest before the large door. It then shot straight up and came to rest in a large round hole in the wall next to the door it's legs and head pushing into it's shell.

The shell then turned inside the hole and an audible click sounded from a locking mechanism within the wall. The door creaked open into the place dimly lit space beyond the doorway. Fionnigan moved forward with his hand open palm up to the hole, and the scrimshaw turtle popped out of the hole into his hand. The necromancer placed the scrimshaw turtle back in its pouch and walked into the doorway and the space beyond, and Draeven followed.

The space beyond was a large cavern which housed a large temple carved out of one side of the cavern. A natural stone bridge ran the in front of the side of the cavern which housed the temple, and standing almost the entire height of the cave itself were two great statues at either end of the bridge. One was of the Queen Mother Reyna and the other was of realms patron saint Sir Nevron Dreadstar. Spanning out from the three main entrances to the temple were three rope bridges which connected to the natural stone bridge.

This was the Houses of the Dead where all of the great houses of the Emerald Hills laid their dead to rest. Fionnigan crossed the stone bridge to the main rope bridge and crossed to the main entrance of the temple. He then entered, and found the nearest set of stairs leading up the corridors of mausoleums and tombs.

Mortem proditoribus.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing