Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing

Post subject: The Fall of Iron Cloud
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:07 pm 

Sir Zigful Sai Yuk Warlord of the Emerald Hills rode his black stallion through the makeshift streets of the tent city erected outside of the city gates of Iron Cloud. The army of the Emerald Hills had been mustered by the Emerald Senate to quell the rebellion that had risen in the city, and the siege was about to begin. Columns of armored soldiers and cavaliers stood waiting to enter the breached city, and do what a conquering army does when it sacks a city.

The general rode to the main command tent, and pulled on the reigns of his steed. The large black horse halted immediately in front of the large green tent. A thin toe headed boy ran up and took the reigns from Sir Zig as he stepped down off his steed. The page led the horse away as Sir Zig walked into the tent.

The knight was a very tall man who, it was rumored, was giant kin of some kind. It was said by many that his mother had been taken by a storm giant into the hills when she was a girl, and when she returned she was a woman with a son. It was possible Sir Zig was giant kin, but it was highly unlikely his father was a storm giant. Whether it was true or not most of his soldiers believed it, and that was just fine by Sir Zig. The more they thought he was a half giant the less they were likely to give him trouble.

Sir Zig walked into the large tent, and was greeted by his squire Tuk Uziel. Around the main table were the leaders of the Emerald Army; Sir Nevron, Sir Logan, Sir Forest, Sir Trinity. Then there was Draeven Somerstorm. Draeven had been in Finder's Keep helping to build a strong city out of the provincial outpost. Draeven heard about the troubles the realm was having with Iron Cloud. When he heard that a force was being mustered to force the barony into submission he rode back to the Emerald City to argue on their behalf.

Draeven took his arguments on behalf of Iron Cloud to the Emerald Senate, and was shocked when he learned the truth of what had been happening in the city. Dante had taken the baronial crown, and was experimenting in magics that were forbidden in the realm. He had refused to abdicate the baronial throne, and was even refusing fealty to the emerald crown. When Draeven heard this he joined the forces set to pull the walls of Iron Cloud down. He felt it was only right that at least one citizen of Iron Cloud pay penance.

“I trust everything is ready for the siege, squire.” said Sir Zig.

“Yes, m'lord. The siege engines are in place, and our soldiers are all in place. We await your command, sir.” replied Tuk Uziel.

“Good. Send a raven with a message telling the people inside that if anyone flees the city or assists the royal forces will be pardoned, but anyone who stays or raises arms against us will be slain.”

“Do you truly plan to raise Iron Cloud?” asked Forest.

“Yes I do.” Zig replied flatly. “They chose this path. They chose treason, and now they must pay for it.”

Zig turned to his squire.

“Have the siege engines ready to begin firing, and have the drummers sound the siege on the half hour.” said Zig as he exited the tent.

I do not suffer fools gladly, and fools with white belts never.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:35 pm 

“Your grace, we have news from the front.” Spoke the toe headed page.

Kaz DeKinky king of the Emerald Hills turned to address the young page. “Let's have the report then boy.”

“As you wish, your grace.” replied the page. “The iron gate and the city wall itself have both been breached, and our forces have begun to pour into the city. They have taken control and put to the torch at least a quarter of the city to this point, and they continue to move ahead with the keep being the rally point.”

“And what of the traitor, Dante Benedictus?” asked King Kaz.

“Dante has not been seen by any of our forces yet, your grace. There is some rumor being whispered that he fled before the siege even began, but Sir Zig believes he has sealed himself up in the keep and thus the rally point.” replied the page.

“Good. I want the traitor brought before me in shackles and I want him executed in the public square as soon as arrangements can be made. I want everyone in this kingdom to know what happens to you when you disobey the will of the crown and the emerald senate.” King Kaz bellowed.

“Yes, your grace. Shall I take my leave?” asked the page.

“Take your leave, boy.” King Kaz replied.

Mortem proditoribus.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:23 am 

Draeven stood in the tavern staring at the bronze statue of the wyvern Brraaapp!

“Had it really come to this?” he thought as he stood in the Tavern of the Drunken Wyvern.

Not many in the kingdom knew this, but Draeven, Dante, and the original members of the mercenary group that worked out of this tavern came from another plane of existence entirely. They had come from the world of Abeir-Toril specifically the city of Waterdeep. They were part of a mercenary group know as the Company of the Drunken Wyvern.

In Waterdeep, much like in Iron Cloud, the company owned a tavern out of which they operated and adventured for gold and treasure. The company had for many years operated in said fashion. They did so until they came upon that damned fresco that would change their lives forever.

The fresco was found in the tombs of Pyarados. The fresco itself was a triptych depicting the acts of a warrior known only as Draeven who would one day unite all of the people of the realm. Draeven himself had prior to that time been known as Kraegen, but once he saw the fresco he was convinced he was the warrior in the fresco. Draeven took this as a sign of who he truly was and that his parents had been mistaken when they named him.

Draeven changed his name that day, and from that moment on was fanatically devoted to his new heroic life. As time went by Draeven had a vision the result of an epic night of alcohol consumption. In the vision Draeven was visited by the company's founder and deceased leader, Balthazar. In the vision Balthazar told Draeven that he was the great warrior depicted in the fresco triptych, and that he, Balthazar, had ascended to godhood. Balthazar added that Draeven in his new life as this legendary hero was to spread worship of Balthazar throughout the land, and that worship of him would be the key to uniting the people of Abeir-Toril.

Draeven devoted himself to this personal crusade immediately. So much so that one day he barged into a temple of the god Tempus and declared the worshipers and priests inside to be blasphemers. This brazen move was met with a mob of clerics ready for a fight. They chased Draeven and the rest of the Drunken Wyvern Company into an area of wild magic. The enraged clerics chased the company into an alleyway which cut off their escape. Their wizard Careakith Eteimas Zoseth Etaletram, having no other option of escape, cast a dimension door, and the company walked through.

They came out on the other side in what they thought was the realm of Ravenloft, but what turned out to be the city of Iron Cloud in the Kingdom of the Emerald Hills in the world of Amtgardia. Once they made this realization they determined to continue doing what they had been doing all along, and that was run a tavern and a mercenary company. They found an inn that was for sale, and traded their strange foreign gold for it. They set up the Tavern of the Drunken Wyvern in Amtgardia and began to ply a new trade as mercenaries for hire in their new found home.

Draeven himself was now devoted to setting up the religion of his new found deity in this new world. As the Company of the Drunken Wyvern made a name for itself in this new realm he spread the word of Balthazar. The company made itself a staple of the city, and in time of the kingdom. As time went on though Draeven began to have doubts about his calling, and began a quest to regain his faith.

That sojourn brought him to the furthest western outpost of the realm, Finder's Keep. It was here that he first began to hear whispers of the goings on in the city of Iron Cloud. He began to hear that Dante had taken the baronial throne, and was practicing ancient and forbidden magics. He came to the Emerald City to defend his brethren and company. When he came arrived he was shown the truth, and he realized that justice had to be done.

“My lord, our forces are about to close in on this part of the city.” said a royal foot soldier as he entered the tavern.

“What? Oh yes, I just had to pay my respects.” said Draeven as he absentmindedly touched the bronze wyvern.

“Should I ask the general to spare this tavern, my lord?” asked the soldier.

“No.” Draeven said as he turned back toward the interior of the tavern.

Draeven walked over to the bar and reached behind it bringing up a bottle of clear alcohol. He doused the bar in the contents of the bottle, and then turned back toward the front entrance of the tavern. He took a torch from one of the sconces by the door, and for a moment looked at his last at his old home. Then he threw the torch toward the bar the flames licking the spirit soaked bar, and spread engulfing the entirety of the bar. Draeven and the soldier marched out the front door and back toward the main gate to join the rest of the royal forces.

Mortem proditoribus.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Role playing