Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills Parks » Park Forums » Midnight Sun

Post subject: Shire Althing 2/12/2011
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:02 pm 

Unless the date becomes a problem, we will be having a special park Althing on 2/12 at approximately 1:30 to discuss the future of our park. Unless tabled, we will hold a vote with automatic runoff from the following options:

1) Stay put (vote of nay to all)
2) Move to a different location
3) Dissolve Midnight Sun

If option #3 wins, I will make an announcement at Midreign. If #2 wins, we will have a second vote late March/early April, ahead of our royal visit, to finalize our choice.

Notes from the Sheriff: I have discussed this with several people, and the general feeling within the park is that we want the group to continue its legacy, but we lack the manpower to keep the group active in the long run. The new location has gotten us some nice visitors and a few recruits, but no new members have lasted beyond six months. Moving always comes at a cost, but the current location does not have long term potential for battlegames, if we chose to dig in and commit to keeping the park alive.

At the heart of our problem are two factors: the retirement of a number of core members of the Midnight Sun, and competition with the newly formed Artus Pass in close proximity. We have clearly failed to compete with AP in terms of visitors, recruitment, and activity. The choice comes down to either assuming there are sufficient numbers of untapped recruits to replenish both groups, or to assume the Midnight Sun has been superceded as the north-northeast group. No matter what, I consider the Midnight Sun an enduring tradition, but the time has come to consider how we can best serve our Kingdom and our own interests. I am disappointed to have to consider the demise of the Kingdom's oldest surviving park and second oldest under the Kingdom banner. However, as the MS has waned, AP has grown, and it is far from certain that time alone will restore the MS to its shining glory. Our one grace toward survival is meetings on Saturdays.

I suggest that ahead of this Althing, we all take time to talk to everyone who has a stake in the Midnight Sun tradition.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:53 am 

I would hate to see MS dissolved. Has thought been given to recruitment drives? I would think Plano is a relativly untapped market for new players. Have people put up fliers in ther local gaming and sprots stores? Also, has anyone thought of a demo at any local community colleges?

You guys may have already done all of these things. I am just tossing out ideas.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:40 pm 

Yeah I really don't want it to disband either, but we just don't seem to have the manpower to do a recruitment drive. Right now MS is a few newbies, a few older players just looking for a good home for their records, and 4 families with small children. MS is just treading water till someone from one of those groups gains either the free time or the desire to run a recruitment effort.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:05 am 

Hey guys, movie season is upon us and we got some pretty sweet amt-themed flicks coming out!

Thor
Season of the Witch
Your Highness even
a couple more...

Lay on!
S

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:20 am 

What about a phone call to the local newspapers to get a FREE article written up about Midnight Sun? Also what about the rest of the area parks going up for a planned visit to swell your numbers and attract attention? All you need to do is ask the rest of the area parks for help. Even to get those park fliers out if you need the manpower.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:19 pm 

I've already talked briefly with Aria about combining our recruitment efforts and I have some plans in mind.

Alley Cat and I have been discussing this further, and we are both of a mind that the current Haggard park location is not suitable, and that we would prefer to keep a Saturday park going. Aside from any sentimental attachment to the name Midnight Sun, those are reasons to consider a move to a more growth friendly location.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:32 am 

Huzzah MS on whatever path ya choose to follow! DA, mind sending me those combo-recruitment ideas?

Best wishes,
S

The general who advances without seeking fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do service for his sovereign, is the jewel of his kingdom. -Sun Wu

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:56 pm 

MS has moved before. It is the name, and the idea, not the park that makes it MS. Encourage the new players to bring friends and hold park office. Being put in a position of leadersip can often encourage people to excel.

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:15 am 

If anyone wishes to vote in absentia, you may cast your ballot any time after the Althing and before midnight Sunday of that weekend. Remember to rank all three options.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:40 pm 

is the midnight sun game still going to be held tomorrow? (saturday the 22nd) I live here in plano and im going to attend both midnight sun and (if and when i can) the artus pass but it's kinda a far drive, i'd hate for midnight sun to shut down or move too far from plano, but my vote doesnt matter too much because there is a possibility in about 6 months or so i'll be moving to the iron kingdoms lol.

"As our bodies are armoured with Adamantium, our souls are protected with our loyalty. As our bolters are charged with death for the Emperor's enemies, our thoughts are charged with his wisdom. As our ranks advance, so does our devotion, for are we not Marines? Are we not the chosen of the Emperor, his loyal servants unto death?"
- Brother-Chaplain Fergas Nils' address to the defenders of Portrein

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:50 pm 

Yes it will still meet in Plano tomorrow, although our start time is actually closer to 3 than 2.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:22 pm 

I'm hoping to avoid any surprises. If the move passes, we'll feel out some dates for the move. Right now I'm kind of eyeing 26 Feb, as I don't see much point in trying to move the weekend of Weaponmaster/DM but I would like, if feasible, to make an announcement at Mid-reign.

In the meantime, until you hear otherwise, we are still at Haggard Park.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:46 am 

I would like to add a discussion item to the Althing , discuss the park treasury.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:22 pm 

Heading out. We should be there before 2:00. Sorry for the delay.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:36 am 

It is official. Midnight Sun has moved.

This is the new location, Audubon Park in Garland, TX:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sugex ... CBgQ8gEwAA

Directions:
Traveling east on I-635, exit Oates and take a left. Take a right on O'Banion Rd. Pass the waterpark and keep going. The road will bend to the left and you will arrive at Audubon Park.

Board index » Emerald Hills Parks » Park Forums » Midnight Sun