Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Announcements » Archives

Post subject: Park credits
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:19 pm 

Carmony Uziel wrote:
I'm saying game days should never be canceled. Who is the person ultimately in charge of deciding whether a park has a day or not?

I am.

Quote:
No one.

Historically speaking, putting "no one" in charge of anything does not lead to desired outcomes.

Quote:
And it's ridiculous to think that every member of every park should look online or call someone every week before they attend a park day to make sure it's going to be "allowed". Does the city close the park when it's hot? Nope, people still show up. So what's the big deal? If you're too hot to go out, then just stay home and let everyone else do what they want. Simple as that.

I think there may be a misunderstanding here. I never disallowed anyone from doing anything. After consulting with other park officers, I decided to make an announcement letting people know that few or no park officers would be present and there was no expectation that anyone else would be. Anyone is still free to show up. As I stated already in this thread, the announcement was a courtesy. An Amtgard game day is not simply a place, like the public park at which it occurs, but an event involving multiple participants. Like any gathering of people for some purpose, some coordination must occur.

Elder mentioned to me today that there were some bad feelings about credits not being awarded for "cancelled" days at other parks. Midnight Sun has no such policy; credit will be awarded for participating in combat and games whether or not anything is scheduled for a given day. There are also no restrictions on holding fighter practices.

No one is required to telephone other park members or check the boards regularly. Anyone is free to take their chances. However, speaking from experience, a park functions better when communication occurs about expected attendance. It is the policy of this reign to try to communicate to as many people as possible when circumstances may lead to a very low attendance and hence a disappointing experience for populace or visitors. Regular game days may be called due to inclement weather or competing events. I think it's a disservice when guests show up only to find out, without warning, that it's "Scarby Day" or that no one feels like ditching in 38 degree weather after recovering from the flu. However, no one is being asked to stay home if they would like to go to the park anyway. All that is being stated is permission for park members to stay home without disrupting a planned game day.

Is that clearer?

Post subject: Re: Heat Advisory
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:44 am 

a little clearer. I'm glad that people aren't being denied credit because they chose to go out to a park when someone who decided to make the decision to cancel the park day says not to come out. Yes, elder was correct that some parks were denying credit on days like this and it became a bit of an issue--especially when 20 people showed up anyway.

but still...if people want to fight, then let them. If it's too hot for you (too wet, too cold, too windy, not enough wind, too sunny, too many bugs, not enough cold water), then stay home. That's your choice. We're all capable of deciding for ourselves if the atmosphere warrants a trip to an Amtgard park.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:59 am 

Yes, people can decide for themselves if they want to show up or stay home. However, I will decide, in consultation with the other park officers, when regular activities will be cancelled due to inclement weather or other exigencies.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:59 am 

Darkangel wrote:
I will decide, in consultation with the other park officers, when regular activities will be cancelled due to inclement weather or other exigencies.

Excellent. I'm glad you have the power to do this, but I'm not seeing anywhere in our Coprora where it says park officers can actually "cancel" park. We at Eagleshire never had this power, and when it was told to us that park was going to be moved "indoors for the day", people really didn't take too kindly to it. But I guess it's nice of you to think so highly of everyone's comfort--I guess you'll cancel Midreign because it's supposed to be pretty dang hot, but I'm sure people will show up anyway. I still think it's ridiculous to expect or even hope, hell even WANT people to take your opinion and stay home just because the weather isn't up to par for you. And seeing as how this is Texas and it's 100 degrees half of the year, there will be many canceled park days for your group. That's sad. What exactly is optimal Amtgard weather? Again, I've seen parks full of people fighting while they are dripping sweat, wrapped in cloaks, being pelted with rain...

I'm not understanding where all the "let's control the populous and tell them what they're going to do (and then tell them they're going to like it or they can bite it)" is coming from these days. Is the EH now run by tyrants?

...waiting patiently for elections...

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:36 pm 

First off I am going to answer your question, so it doesn't just seem like I am trying to silence you.
The powers of a monarch:
VI. B. 7. :Presides over and conducts all ceremonies and functions.
Preside: to exercise management or control.
Conduct: to direct in action or course; to manage.
Function: any public or social gathering or occasion.
A monarch manages and directs any public gathering under his authority.

I hope I have made it exceedingly clear that it is in fact Darkangels duty to manage the park meetings, and as equally clear that, as pointed out in the third post of this thread, and again reiterated by Darkangel on this page, that anyone who did show up would still receive credits.

Now then, as a moderator of this forum, and as a Kingdom High Officer, I am giving you an official warning to stop trolling.

You have no standing to object to this course of action. You are not a member of this park, nor are you an entity of authority over this park, nor are you a friend of the court representing someone who was harmed by this man's actions, as no one was harmed, nor was ever intended to be harmed.

Your participation in this thread was eyebrow raising from the start, but just to be painfully clear, you definitely crossed the line into trolling when you set Darkangel up as a straw man trying to "Cancel Midreign because it's supposed to be pretty dang hot" and called his actions under his authority as a park monarch "ridiculous."

There is nothing useful that can be gained by this thread continuing, questions were asked about the specifics of people coming out who ignored this advisory, and the answer was given that they would recieve credit, as always. The thread should have ended there, but as it hasn't I am ending it now.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Announcements » Archives