Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills Parks » Park Forums » Mourningwood Glen

Post subject: MWG Family Park
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:32 pm 

Children are our future whether anyone wants to admit to it or not.

For most of us babysitters are not an option, it's our Family day.

We allow them to play because they want to and know what they are getting into. Would we allow them to fight in Spring War or Banner Wars, NO.

MWG by far in my opinion is very close, very family-oriented. We like it that way.

Perhaps by some people believe they don't take their shots. Hmmm, I have seen several adults do the very same thing and worse, throw temper tantrums. I've seen one use an illegal 50# bow as an amtgard legal bow, then try to pass it off as bad arrows. This person deliberately put people in danger. I've seen way worse crap from adults than I ever have from kids. It's sad and depressing to think that to some especially the ones without kids to make an uneducated opinion based on rumors and biased folks.

I've even heard the stories of other amtgarders that played as kids and yet those are the ones some of you try to forget because it's convenient.

I know I'd not play amtgard if I was a resident of some other stick-heavy park. I've seen what some adults are capable of and personally I'm glad they don't play out at the park.

Our park promotes safe, family fun and have been going strong for a year.

Remember kids are our future, teach them and they'll make you proud.

Post subject: Re: MWG Family Park
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:30 pm 

Understand that MWG fills a niche. It is a park that allows parents of younger children to still play. There are plenty of EH parks that are not meant for children. For myself, Eagleshire is very very nearby for me, but I choose to drive 3-4 times as long to MWG because it is a Family Park. Yes, that means when people attend our park they have to watch their language, curtail their tasteless, off-colored, ribald jokes and stories, and watch their blows but there are plenty other parks where they do not have to do that near so much.

Our park, also, has a playground (for the much younger children) and restrooms. Something that one old knight touted was the reason he liked going to the "Nova" Ironcloud park when it first restarted in Dallas, when his son was young.

I agree with Crimson Witch, we are working very hard to teach our children to take their shots, to learn their classes, and to be good sports when things do not go their way but it is difficult when there are adults whom sluff horribly, throw public hissy fits, and do not even seem to know their own class. When our children behave that way, we give them a time out or some other suitable punishment.... How do the other parks deal with the 13+ year olds who do the same?

Fighting alongside older children can be frustrating to "old hats" but, that also happens alongside newbies. The children are eager to learn and are, for the most part, not stuck in the "I know everything so I won't listen" that adults and teenagers often find themselves in. So in short, children are a rare opportunity to teach them how to do it correctly BEFORE they are set in their ways.

I do hope that the children of our park behave honorably. If not, talk to the parents, we will set them right but, most importantly, be as patient as you can and think of them as newbies. They are learning and trying their best.

We have been able to recruit some members just because their kids saw us and came over... and then brought their parents. While it may not work for everyone, being a family park works for us.

Thank you to all the visitors this past weekend for giving us a chance. Hopefully, in the future, you return someday when the "children" are older and will allow us to display our best ... our children.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:10 pm 

CrimsonWitch";p="6325 wrote:
I've even heard the stories of other amtgarders that played as kids and yet those are the ones some of you try to forget because it's convenient.

Who? Squeak? Inifity? Taldak? all over 14 as per the rulebook

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:15 pm 

I may or may not be the "old Knight" spoken of in a previous post but I do know that I did enjoy taking my son with me to one of the Iron Cloud parks because there was a playground nearby. But I didn't allow my son (who was younger than 14 at the time) on the field. Now that he is past the age limit I don't have to worry about it. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones since my urchins were young when the game was young. And now that the game has grown to big for its own britches you younger and more recent spawners seem to think that your urchins have the right to be on the same field as me. Maybe they do... maybe they don't. Not my call to make. But I do have an opinion, and as a Old Knight I would like to think my opinion carrys a bit of weight. Granted, that percieved weight may only equal up to the weight/width of the piece of paper that my vote is written on but thats all I got and I plan on voicing it.

Yes, the younger urchins of todays players could very well be the future of the EH. But from what I experienced at MWG this weekend I'm not impressed. Class abilitys were being abused, teams were no where near even. The urchins on my team (10 vs 3 on the other) seemed to think that my wisdom and advise was not something they needed to listen to. Granted, I can live with some of that but the class ability abuse and over loading of urchins on one team is a different story. For that I look towards the elected and non-elected leaders of MWG.

I swear, Delphos and Brennon really just remind me of a couple of bad Spock and Bones impersonators.

"Nevron disagrees with and dislikes me. He is, however, rational".- Brennon

"I'll admit, I trolled the smack forum." - Shady Troll

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:27 am 

Sir Squeak wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CrimsonWitch wrote (View Post): › I've even heard the stories of other amtgarders that played as kids and yet those are the ones some of you try to forget because it's convenient.

Who? Squeak? Inifity? Taldak? all over 14 as per the rulebook
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think she's referring to Sir Angelfire (known for many years as Evil Squire). From talking to her, she told both me and Crimson that she started before she was 12. (At Redhawk/Wolfpack camp the event before last) Also Kestral (Dallas Harden) who started at age 11 and won the champ tourney at 12 causeing him to be MAAed by Sir Sparhawk. I"m very sure there are more who have contributed a lot to amtgard over the years.

Nevron i dont think you have your numbers correct...there are 7 kids playing at MWG: (post edit correction: 8)
2 wizards
1 druid
1 archer
2 sin (one of whom, Evrk, has taken your advice on the class to heart)
1 monk who shyly kept the raging barbarian from your mast by hacking off his knees from behind the mast.
1. first day kid who is a long time friend of most of the above.

For myself: I like having the children there. As a teacher, i can train them to their basics without a lot of "i know it" attitute. As someone who has had this attitude and had to break it to learn, i know how difficult this is. I like that most of the "children" have decided to play support roles and free up a lot of fighters to play in a melee role. As Lady Blaise said to me at eagleshire "the kids know more of the rules than most of the adults i've had to play with" (speaking of Kodi and Evrk at the first Alice game in ES)
hell, Evrk has even had to correct his guild master ('sins Sir Delphos) on some of the newer abilities (TOD is an ability and goes through a promag, as clarified by GMR Gabriel.)
I recomemd to any older player who has an issue with a younger player: Either let their parent know, as the one's at MWG are very involved with our kids amtucation, or let the champ know the same as you would any newbie. Remember its all fun, MWG is not a stick jock park. We tried that and almost died for it, by forgetting our roots.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:30 am 

Wickett not sure why you even posted you don't even attend MWG. BTW it was your husband that I was referring to using an illegal bow and proceeded to hurt people with said bow. Perhaps that is the real reason you posted. I've never heard of the people you mentioned nor does it matter.

Again our park promotes family fun. We are not a stick heavy park, quite frankly, most of us MWG folks like it that way. We like to have fun, after all, it's a game. It's a game we can play as a family without worry of someone deliberately trying to hurt another. Our goals are quite different from other parks but that's okay.

I'm sorry Nevron that you thought ill of our park. That's not our intention.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:55 am 

Angelfire never fought in our kingdom. I've heard her say that she fought but I can honestly say I've never seen her fight (not even as an adult)

Sparhawk's bow is legal. It's been checked by multiple champions. His arrows are legal. They are all checked by the champions.

I live ten minutes from MWG. I choose not to play there because of the infestation of children fighting that shouldn't be. I'd rather drive the hour to Denton to fight people that play by the rulebook.

p.s. Crimson, I never actually made it through your posts to where you bitched about bows

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:40 pm 

No, Wickett, the one particular bow in question was a marked #50 bow but it doesn't matter because you think your right and you think everyone will just sit back and believe your crock and bull. There were several folks that day and know what went on and you can believe otherwise. He knowingly endangered people. Wasn't there a post on Esam where his bow was thrown off the field at some event because it was illegal? It doesn't really matter since the post wasn't a bitch but why we are the type of park we are and you took one little clip that really didn't have anything to do with the folks you pointed out that I've never heard of.

I'm thankful everyday you do not show up to our park. You and your husband bring too much drama which we can do without. Like we have mentioned there are other parks out there and your welcome to them.

Apparently you did not understand, MWG is a park where we encourage family fun. We do not have the intention of wanting or being a sword premiere park.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:16 pm 

That's laughable. My husband does not own a #50 bow. Hell, he doesn't even own a #35. He has 2 #30. But whatever. I don't expect or care if you believe me.
Not sure what drama you refer to. I am gladly lacking in the stuff myself. Tho now I feel the urge to club baby seals at MWG, or probably just swing foam while ignoring children.
Anyhoo, You will never be able to do as much of the Hills as any one of the three that I mentioned have done (all are flame knights, one is also a crown, one is also a serpent and sword).

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:07 pm 

Crimson,
Issues of lack of mutual respect aside, you make a powerful accusation about using dangerous equipment with intent to harm.

A: I own two very nice bows that I take great care of, both of them are only 30#, both of them have been checked in various kingdoms (Our GMR, Gabriel used a bow tester on both of them at the last WBW).

B: Every arrow that I have taken on the field for the last several years was manufactured by a third party that has supplied the majority of the arrows used in the game. As a company, we have purchased well over a hundred of them, they are checked regularly and the heads cut off of those found faulty. Unfortunately, equipment does breakdown during use, everyone has the right and responsibility to point out safety issue on the field.

C: IF you as a park officer are allowing people to use equipment that you know is illegal on your field (I believe that you mentioned that you allowed a MARKED 50# bow on your fields) then you should be removed and ashamed to let your children play in an environment that you are not willing to police.

I am more than willing to discuss any substantiated claims or concerns that you or any other official may have but I ask that you refrain from groundless accusations.

Sparhawk Kingfisher

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:17 pm 

Actually, I wasn't even in office then but then again I haven't seen you bring that bow out to our park since that fateful day. Perhaps you forgot the bloody nose you gave Sir Gavvin and the Huge bruises you left on several others. If your bow and arrows were legal they shouldn't have left marks.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:38 pm 

May I ask you what the bow looks like that you are talking about? Obviously it is one that you would recognize on sight. Perhaps we can clear up the misconception.

In addition, while there is a thread or two on E-sam that injuries on the field due to arrows have been discussed I have yet found one that talks about me having a bow removed from the field. Please post a link.

If there are legitimate concerns about illegal equipment being used then I am more than willing to address them. If you are only interesting in making groundless accusations then by all means let me know so that I can throw in some random "You're nothing but a useless breeder living off the welfare state" opinions about you.

Spar

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:55 pm 

You can get hurt with a 30lb bow. I took a nose shot a few years ago that deviated my septum, and the bow and all of its arrows fired were completely legal. Bloodied my nose fairly nicely too. It happens once in awhile, but it doesn't mean Spar is shooting an illegal bow.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:25 pm 

All unsubstantiated claims about illegal weapons aside i myself as a park champion have been told by numerous pm's that Morgan is not allowing any under 14 players on the field i had to kick a kid who was 13 off the field this past Saturday he had played all the way up to then but the new rule from Morgan that i was told is no under 14 of the field period so even if Sir Sparhawk's bow is illegal (I seriously doubt it) there should be no worries of young kids being hurt they should not be on the field

~Exile
Park Champion Midnight Sun

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:52 am 

CrimsonWitch";p="6338 wrote:
Perhaps you forgot the bloody nose you gave Sir Gavvin and the Huge bruises you left on several others. If your bow and arrows were legal they shouldn't have left marks.

RIIIIIGHT... Completely legal weapons have NEVER injured someone. I'm not sure why you've decided to pull out this witch hunt against spar, and I really don't care... I do know that you're logic is faulty at best.

I've PERSONALLY had 2 teeth broken out, been given numerous concussions, broken several fingers, more bruises then I even care to try and count, and even had my nose broken ALL BY LEGAL WEAPONS. I've been racked by a perfectly legal weapon that STILL made me piss blood for a day or two.... Guess what. It's a physical sport, and injuries happen. Just because someone got injured doesn't immediately make the weapon used illegal, and considering who's equipment you're talking about I seriously doubt your claims of poundage and illegality.

And your excuse that you weren't in office when the illegal weapon was being used is complete and utter bs and a total cop out. "Not my job so I don't have to do anything." If you were REALLY concerned with the legality of the weapon you could have very easily gotten the weapon checked IMMEDIATELY WHEN THE PROBLEM OCCURED instead of waiting and waiting, sitting on this info until you decide you want to start some drama...

Quote:
It's a game we can play as a family without worry of someone deliberately trying to hurt another. Our goals are quite different from other parks but that's okay.

WTF? I'm sorry, but I defy you to name a single park where it's acceptable practice of someone deliberately trying to hurt one another. You want your park to be family oriented, that's fine, but don't try to make it seem like you're the only park that's concerned with safety just to try to gain more fuel for your witch hunt...

"Until we stop viewing making a knight into a non-knight a fate worse than death we'll never be able to clean up knighthood." - Glen

Board index » Emerald Hills Parks » Park Forums » Mourningwood Glen