Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills Parks » Park Forums » Mourningwood Glen

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: MWG Family Park
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:46 am 

Quote (paraphrase) Larin:
busted nose
Quote (paraphrase) Draeven:
various injuries

Yes, i have had a bloody nose from weapons and broken fingers from poles. The issue of bruises was raised not from soft tissue areas (ie nose, eyes and such) or fragile appendages (ie fingers toes and other digiits). What we are discussing is deep subcutanious bruising on meaty sections like pecs and thighs.

Yes the weapon was checked. When told of the bruising several days later...a bow gauge was obtained and now resides in the champs gear. Funny the bow in question has never been seen again.

As for allowing children into this game that can injure them:

My son Kodi plays soccer.....both as a goalie and defensive back....to date he has a sprained wrist, knee, ankle. Fractured ankle, broken toe. Bloody nose, black eye and bruised tailbone. He has been hurt more in a game officialy sanctioned by the Arlington School District more than he has ever been in his 1 1/2 yrs in amtgard.
My Son Trey has had several teeth knocked out on the monkey bars at school.
My Step sons Jaren (Everk) and Morgan (Draik) are blackbelts in Tae Kwon Do...need i say more?

In light of all this, they have just as much right to decide whether or not they want to play as we do..They are well aware of the risks and as a parent i monitor their activities as i would any sport....that is the job of any decent parent. If I as a parent feel a ditch is too "hot" for them, then i will tell them so. In the case of weaponmaster and crown quals tournies, they asked to compete to learn what they had to strive for to become a swordknight....rather than be upset, i would be flattered that someone so young looked up to me so much and was willing to test their mettle, knowing full well that they were just begining this road.
As a decent parent i cannot go play and say to them "i know you want to, and have for almost a yr. but someone who doesnt know you and doesnt care to, has decided that you are not allowed to play anymore" I cannot say that and see the hurt in their eyes and go have my fun with out them. I dare any park officer to try to pull any newer player (1 to 1 1/2 yr) off the field with a line like that and see if they ever come back.
yes i know that the rulebook says "under 14 with monarchs permission" And this is what i'm asking for....not a blanket statement, but the case by case evaluation that the rulebook calls for.

As far as this witch hunt against Spar as you called it Draeven, Wickett begain by attacking her children and mentioning the dangers..Crimson gave an example of a danger and who caused it. Also she never said that MWG is the only park concerned with safety...

Sparhawk: funny, she never mentions e-sam, yet you do. So i looked up the articles you mention. And yes, there is no record of you getting a bow tossed off field, but you do go on record saying that you recieved NUMEROUS complaints about your arrows.

Wickett: the drama referred to is this one here that you are starting. We (mwg regulars) are quite fine with letting our kids play. You a person who does not come to our park, have made the acceptace of said policy an issue, that my dear lady is drama. then you go on to attack Lady Crimson (only in game for bout a yr and half) saying that she will never be able to do as much as the three notables you mention. I'm sure they were told the same early in their amgard careers, i know for a fact that Larin was and proved that person wrong. Maybe you should give her time and see what becomes of her instead of trying to run her off. You also shame her by saying that she allows people with intent to harm, and then notify her of YOUR intent to harm ("Tho now i feel the urge to club baby seals at MWG)...as an elder of the park, i can tell you that thanks to this statement, your prescense at MWG is not welcome. No one who intends to do harm is welcome, just ask Fytakin.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:14 am 

Kenta RedHawk";p="6346 wrote:
In light of all this, they have just as much right to decide whether or not they want to play as we do..

IF they are above the age of 14, then you are correct. If they are under the age of 14, then they have NO say in if they play or not, that decision rests solely with the King/Queen...

Quote:
As a decent parent i cannot go play and say to them "i know you want to, and have for almost a yr. but someone who doesnt know you and doesnt care to, has decided that you are not allowed to play anymore" I cannot say that and see the hurt in their eyes and go have my fun with out them.

Actually, as a decent parent, imo, shouldn't you make sure they understand WHY they can't play. Sure they've played in the past because previous monarchs have allowed it, but the standard rule is NO, and it's your job to make sure they understand that.

Quote:
yes i know that the rulebook says "under 14 with monarchs permission" And this is what i'm asking for....not a blanket statement, but the case by case evaluation that the rulebook calls for.

The rulebook calls for NOTHING of the sort. It says they may play with monarch's permission. Nothing says case by case evaluation, it just says monarch's permission. You don't like that this monarch says no youngins, then you're always free to run for high office yourself so you can have it the way you want it, but don't whine because the monarch made a decision completely within his authority and you just don't like it.

Quote:
Crimson gave an example of a danger and who caused it. Also she never said that MWG is the only park concerned with safety...

You're right, she never SAID it, she merely insinuated it: "It's a game we can play as a family without worry of someone deliberately trying to hurt another. Our goals are quite different from other parks but that's okay."
Insinuations are just accusations of cowardess.

Quote:
You also shame her by saying that she allows people with intent to harm, and then notify her of YOUR intent to harm ("Tho now i feel the urge to club baby seals at MWG)...as an elder of the park, i can tell you that thanks to this statement, your prescense at MWG is not welcome. No one who intends to do harm is welcome, just ask Fytakin.

Really, I never realized an urge (also known as a desire, want, appetite, appetition, compulsion, craving, drive, fancy, goad, wish, yearning, yen). No where do I see where you gather intent. I mean, isn't it part of human nature to be able to resist urges? I mean, I've had urges to set people on fire for being douchebags, but there was no intent to actually carry out the urge. And I completely agree with Wickett's statement, and not just at MWG. There are many times I have the urge to jerk a knot in many kids asses because they're running around wild and not being watched properly. Many people watch their kids like a hawk, but I've seen more instances of the kid running completely unsupervised, getting into other people's stuff, picking up weapons that aren't theirs or their parents and running off. And you're DAMN right, each time I see this I want to bust the kids ass since their parents obviously don't care enough to keep their child in line. Would I ever DO it? No, but I guess since I have the urge I'm no longer welcome at MWG either?

And honestly, the thing that really baffles me is the parents. I mean, would you let your 13 year old kid play field tackle football with a bunch of 20-30 year olds? Probably not, why, risk of injury. But many of these same parents are always up in arms when the monarch tells their sweet little Timmy or Jilly they can't play because they're too young and could get hurt. I mean, Kenta, you bring up the fact that your child plays soccer and has received more injuries then ever gotten in amtgard. But that's even MORE to my point. Your child has had numerous injuries playing against kids HIS OWN AGE, so WHY are you upset when the monarch doesn't want them on the same field as Adults because of their safety?

You bring the examples that Jaren and Morgan (or Everk and Draik) are blackbelts in Tae Kwon Do... I really don't see how that's germain to the argument other than the fact that yes they have participated in contact sports before. Now consider this. Your underage child with his black-belt in TKD comes up against Sir Morgan, who as far as I'm aware has had no formal martial art training, guess what. The child *MOST LIKELY* still looses. They're on a completely different level than adults. Would you let Draik with his TKD black belt fight Larin with his TKD green belt, full contact no pads? Probably not because too great a risk he would get hurt unless Larin was pulling his shots. Hell, I've never had any formal fighting training, and I could probably whip your kids ass without breaking much of a sweat. Size and strength difference go along with age differences. Wondering where I'm going with this? Sure, they're used to contact sports. But they're used to contact sports for THEIR level and age range, why because pitting them against adults is unsafe and unfair. Competition is on a completely different level when you're 13 and when you're 25, so I just don't understand why you're so upset because the Monarch has decided not to let children under the stated age of 14 play when he doesn't want to have to deal with the safety issue to begin with.

"Until we stop viewing making a knight into a non-knight a fate worse than death we'll never be able to clean up knighthood." - Glen

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:31 am 

funny, at his black belt level testing..it was against other blackbelts. I had to laugh watching him take down a 40yr old man who was taking the same test and failed because of him.

By mentioning their TKD, i am stating that they have been in harmful situations....you of all people should know what happens when you punch something badly.

If you are intending to harm someone, then no, i dont want you there. I agree with your post of unsupervised children, but that is not the case here. What i am upset about is not morgans call, it is the fact that he gave permission, to me for my kids face to face and now says that he never gave permission for any kids. This is a bold face lie.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:08 am 

[quote="Kenta RedHawk";p="6346"]Quote:
Yes
Yes the weapon was checked. When told of the bruising several days later...a bow gauge was obtained and now resides in the champs gear. Funny the bow in question has never been seen again.

Again I ask that you state what the bow in question looks like so that if there is a misunderstanding it can be rectified or other parks can be on the look-out for me showing up with it. Both yourself and Crimson have made statements that "it" could be reconized on site, please let us know what style it is. Crimson stated that someone (actually she said me) was using a bow that was not only illeagle but was labled as being 50#. That is a powerful statement that should be substainiated or resended, if it is found that you or other officials at your park allowed anyone to do so then I agree that something should be done.

Sparhawk: funny, she never mentions e-sam, yet you do. So I looked up the articles you mention. And yes, there is no record of you getting a bow tossed off field, but you do go on record saying that you received NUMEROUS complaints about your arrows.

Kenta, I will copy and paste this from her previous post rreaaallll sslllooowww so that it is easier for you to read.

Crimson wrote: "No, Wickett, the one particular bow in question was a marked #50 bow but it doesn't matter because you think your right and you think everyone will just sit back and believe your crock and bull. There were several folks that day and know what went on and you can believe otherwise. He knowingly endangered people. Wasn't there a post on Esam where his bow was thrown off the field at some event because it was illegal? It doesn't really matter since the post wasn't a bitch but why we are the type of park we are and you took one little clip that really didn't have anything to do with the folks you pointed out that I've never heard of. "

So obviously I was replying to a statement that she made about an e-sam thread. FYI Captain out-of-context, that thread was part of some ongoing conversations that were taking place discussing how injuries happen even with safe archery equipment and possible options as to what we could do to make things safer. I would also like to ask that if several people were aware of blatant safety issues (see previous quote) then why didn't any of them point it out at the time? Or do you only support being a safe park when it is convenient?

Sparhawk

Last edited by Sparhawk on Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:17 am 

read my post again....bruises were mentioned days after the park day.

I missed her part on esam, sorry for the confusion.
No one ever said the bow would be recognized on sight (other than being marked) After the bruising issue was raised, almost a week later, a player at the park stated that he thought it was marked #50, and another archer with a marked #35 said that he had never seen amtgard arrows fly as straight and true from his bow (using the exact same arrows cause i gave him the link to buy them)

Again reeeeeaaalll slow for YOU Spar, the injuries were raised after the fact. In fact the next day is when i saw your post on esam. See how easy to put 2 and 2 together?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:08 am 

Edited by Larin

Last edited by Larin on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:01 am 

Not appropriate to bring that to a public forum, Larin. Let one of the involved parties do that, if they are so inclined.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:06 pm 

Kenta RedHawk";p="6346 wrote:
As far as this witch hunt against Spar as you called it Draeven, Wickett begain by attacking her children and mentioning the dangers..Crimson gave an example of a danger and who caused it. Also she never said that MWG is the only park concerned with safety...

Really, did you read anything that I wrote? If so please show me where I began with attacking Crimson's children. Or attacked them at all.

Quote:
Wickett: the drama referred to is this one here that you are starting. We (mwg regulars) are quite fine with letting our kids play. You a person who does not come to our park, have made the acceptace of said policy an issue, that my dear lady is drama. then you go on to attack Lady Crimson (only in game for bout a yr and half) saying that she will never be able to do as much as the three notables you mention. I'm sure they were told the same early in their amgard careers, i know for a fact that Larin was and proved that person wrong. Maybe you should give her time and see what becomes of her instead of trying to run her off. You also shame her by saying that she allows people with intent to harm, and then notify her of YOUR intent to harm ("Tho now i feel the urge to club baby seals at MWG)...as an elder of the park, i can tell you that thanks to this statement, your prescense at MWG is not welcome. No one who intends to do harm is welcome, just ask Fytakin.

I do have an issue with children on the field and am quite vocal about it. Children have no place participating in a contact sport with adults. I most certainly did not agree with Sutra's allowing anyone to fight. I bitched about it then but there was nothing I could do about it. It's in the rule book for a reason.
:sigh: You do not know my intentions. How about I make them clear for you... Should you decide to ignore the statement from the monarch and allow your children to fight, I will ignore them. I will not throw shots at them nor will I take shots from them. In a battle game I will ignore any magic or arrows that come from them. Since you ignored the "probably just swing foam part" I thought I'd put it back here. Really cuz that's what I care about. Should the next monarch decide to allow children to fight I will hit them like I hit anyone else. See you at the park (not this weekend, tho, I have plans)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:08 pm 

(Mod Gloves On)

Friendly reminder. Invectives can go in the Smack Forum.

Larin, might be a good idea to edit your post.

(Mod Gloves Off)

Rayel

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:56 pm 

Wow, its sad how quickly things get out of control.
I, as Sheriff of MWG feel that I must remain objective on these issues. I understand that it is frusterating for a swordsman to have children on the battlefield, I also understand how hard it is for a parent to tell a kid that has been playing this game for half their life that it's not OK anymore. I will talk to Sir Morgan and try to find an equitable solution. However, we all have read the rules, and we all call the EH our home. I realize that unlike myself, most of you have been in this game for a long time. You have history,friends and foes. I came to MWG as it was all but dead. I have worked hard to help keep it alive. I have been lucky so far in that I have made new friends without making enimies. So I ask with all due respect that you all keep you personal dislikes of each other on a more private basis. this is not a healthy way to solve a problem, and I don't wish to see MWG wiped from the map. So to anyone who has been offended by this string, I offer my apology, and hope that we can make it right.

respectfully
Sheriff Asmodius

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:03 pm 

asmodius";p="6369 wrote:
I also understand how hard it is for a parent to tell a kid that has been playing this game for half their life that it's not OK anymore.

And here's the real problem. Why are there children under 14 who can claim to have played Amtgard for "half their life?"

That means the started when they were, at most, seven years old. There has been a laxity on this issue and starting fresh is an excellent idea. Let's have a reign of no one under 14 playing the game and then see where we are. If a couple of 13 year olds next reign have what it takes, great. But why are we having a discussion that includes people 11, 10, 9 or even younger? There is no excuse for kids of that age to be on the field in any combat capacity at any time. That past monarchs have allowed it does not obligate monarchs, current or future, to continue.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:34 pm 

Do you have kids in this age group?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:01 pm 

CrimsonWitch";p="6375 wrote:
Do you have kids in this age group?

No. Does that somehow invalidate my contributions to the discussion?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:20 pm 

Why don't the adults host batlegames for the kids? Why not reeve, play a neutral caster, etc. but only let the undr 14 crowd swing the foam for that battlegame/quest.

No one is saying that kids should not be pat of Amtgard, but that it is not reasonably safe for them to take the field with adults. We have plenty of children who come to ES and play games with each other and have a great time but never set foot into the field of play with adults. Hasn't hurt us, or their desire ot be part of Amtgard, one bit.

Instead of making this a mud slinging contest, let's realize that all of us play the same game and, ultimately, have the same goal, for it to survive and flourish. So why don't we play nice and talk about possible soultions instead of pointing fingers?

Puppet Master of the EH

"Of course you are Forest. You're like the Mr. Burns of EH." - Finn

(insert titles and awards here)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:02 am 

a great idea Sir Forest and what we are trying to achieve, compromise and equitable solutions.

unfortunately there are only 7 kids on the field, this does not lend to good games. Also most of those kids have decided to play casters to free up the adults to "swing foam" as it was quaintly put.

I like the idea of a youth group in amtgard, but that has already been shot down by the powers that be. SO Trinnia, when you set up the kids quest better make sure there is no combat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Emerald Hills Parks » Park Forums » Mourningwood Glen