Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post subject: 3D Art
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:05 am 

I was asked recently about this area.

Would a miniature town or village, maybe even a castle with small figures and other miniature items with a medieval theme work for something like this?

Any tips on what would be the best scale to work with.

I swear, Delphos and Brennon really just remind me of a couple of bad Spock and Bones impersonators.

"Nevron disagrees with and dislikes me. He is, however, rational".- Brennon

"I'll admit, I trolled the smack forum." - Shady Troll

Post subject: Re: 3D Art
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:49 pm 

I don't see why a diorama wouldn't be considered 3D art as long as is meant to be viewed from more than one angle. The question I would ask, as a judge, is how much of the work was done by the entrant.

Buying model kits, lead miniatures, and model railroading materials and painting them up and arranging them in a scene I would score lower than someone who designed and built all of the buildings out of plasticard (or whatever), made his own trees with wire and sculpted (or highly converted) his own miniatures.

On the other hand, I have seen an unconverted miniature painted and entered for 3D art and score very highly (different kingdom). Awesome paint job, but not really within the same scope of other entries.

I guess it just boils down to who is judging (as always).

As for scale, it depends on how much work you want to do. The larger the scale, the more detail becomes a factor. However, it is easier to get premade materials in some specific sizes.

Medieval/Fantasy miniatures come in 3 basic sizes - 15mm, 25mm, and Games Workshop Heroic scale, 30mm.

Model scales that fit these sizes are as follows: 1/60 or 1/65 is about right for 25mm and 1/48 looks good with 30mm. I THINK 1/87 is right for 15mm.

Model railroading scales are as follows: S Scale is 1/64, O Scale is 1/48 and HO Scale is 1/87.

There is a conversion utility online here that helps.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:57 pm 

Oh I agree... Someone entering a scale model of a dwelling, town, or large village, one that was painstakenly crafted and built by their own hands, piece by piece, painted with colors of the time, and not premade from a box, should almost always score higher than its boxed counterpart. But thats not to say that a entry couldn't be a mix of the two. But the info card on the entry should point out the levels of work. And I already expressed to the questioner that the more personal work done to the items viewed, the better the possible score.

Granted... a miniature stone wall/tower/castle built from pre-cut wood pieces, than painted and treated to look like aged stone, still looks pretty good and takes some creative talents. And I don't believe many of us have the means to create our own miniature towns people so while the figure may be store bought, the paint job doesn't have to be. I mean... when was the last time any garbers had to sheer a sheep, spin the wool, dye the material, and all the other steps involved in taking the hair/fur of a sheep and turning it into that bad ass court garb?

I appreciate the info on scales.

How about some info on some craft type stores, other than Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and even Joann's. I have even went so far as to visit a store that sold stuff for those miniature dollhouses. I'm looking for ideas to begin with, and after that miniature accessorys to use as decor. Even a local store that provides WOW crap could be a source of ideas or a hard to find accessory.

I swear, Delphos and Brennon really just remind me of a couple of bad Spock and Bones impersonators.

"Nevron disagrees with and dislikes me. He is, however, rational".- Brennon

"I'll admit, I trolled the smack forum." - Shady Troll

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:39 pm 

I agree with you completely on the build vs. buy & paint.

As for materials, Games Workshop has a store in Grapevine Mills. Their Fantasy line has a number of metal and/or plastic minatures and model buildings that look pretty good (Check out the new Vampire Counts. NICE undead models!). They also carry GreenStuff, a sculpting material used to make the sculptures that most miniatures are copies of and/or to fill joints and do conversions on pre-made minatures. They also have an assortment of tools for miniature modelling. CAUTION: Because their models are pieces in a game and are imported from the UK, prices are steep.

For the more ambitious modeller, try Hobby Town USA in any of their several locations around the metroplex. I like the one off I-75 and Walnut Hill. They carry plasticard which is easily scored and snapped to model your own buildings. They also have plasticard that is stamped to look like wood, brick or stone. Hobby Town also carries model railroading supplies.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences