Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post subject: Feast
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:59 am 

Anyone willing to help make a few feasts more period? I'm not talking SCA period where you might find Haggis <while I find nothing wrong with it and would probably eat it others would tuck tail and run> i'm talking foods with more of a medieval or renissance feel to them. Not that there is anything wrong with a hamburger hot dog feast <as i've helped put on one of those> it would be nice at larger events<mid reign, end reign, banner wars> to have a more fantasy/period feel. Just trying to see if there are anyone else out there who would be willing to help as far as ideas and what not go. I think its very doable given we plan ahead and do some extra prep work @ home. i've been talking with a few people and had some VERY good ideas already <one of them being to have a table decorationg contest for court>

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:26 am 

Period food is generally bad. Lack of spices, fresh meat, variety, etc.

Decorations, however, are good. Everybody likes decorations. TKM had some really fantastic ambience at court.

Post subject: Re: Feast
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:50 am 

I don't know where this misconception comes from. I am not picking on you Brennon, as I have heard the same sentiment from quite a few people. There were plenty of spices in period, although not the same ones that are in general use today. There was also plenty of meat (at certain times of the year) and variety. I have been to some quite good feasts in the SCA that were prepared using redacted period recipes and food that was generally available (or the closest modern equivelents). I think it sounds like a fine idea, if it is done correctly.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:48 pm 

Brennon, since this isn't the SCA the food doesn't have to be within a certain time period.. nor does it have to follow specific guideline.. so that leaves the door open to be able to tweak it for more modern tastes. maybe "period" was bad terminology on my part.. i meant more so something that would fit into a fantasy/renasance/medieval theme that we have going in Amtgard. Did you by chance happen to get any pics of the decorations at TKM we were not able to make it :(

Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:51 pm 

best feast i've ever seen throw together was by Sir Aessec (sp?). he had a hot dog feast for the common populace, with beans and franks as a side. For the nobles (high table, back in the day when we still did that) he had chopped up hotdogs and deep fried them into "calamari"....it was awesome.

"Passion overrules Reason" wizard's rule #3 of the Terry Goodkind series "Sword of truth"

Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:10 pm 

LoL and there is nothing wrong with that feat..I don't want anyone to think thats what i'm saying :) it would have been interesting to see the high tables food. The feast i made for Fall Fest was Spicy sasuage rice balls with ranch then pumpkin soup <out of the pumpkin> with mashed sweet potatoes and green beans then spiced cake for dessert. It was interesting and fun to try a new recipie or 2 8)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:13 pm 

I think I'm going to bring Bacon wrapped Armadillo Tails at the next event... Probably Bungle. They rule.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences