Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post subject: Javelins
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:48 pm 

i was wondering about the best construction for javelins. Length, total and striking surface; weight, heavy or light; to fin or not to fin

Do javelins have special rules, or does the standard 2/3 rule apply (if say under 4 ft)?

are the old golf tubes (thin walled plastic) acceptable, or have these old style missles gone the way of the do-do (Nev taught me to make them)

"Passion overrules Reason" wizard's rule #3 of the Terry Goodkind series "Sword of truth"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:28 am 

Javelin construction seems to be pretty open, acording to the book. Heres all I could find in relation to javelins from 7.2

"Javelins - Between 36 and 72 inches long and may be used as a thrusting weapon in melee. Except for javelins, projectiles may not be used to parry, block, or melee. Projectiles, with the exception of javelins, may not have solid cores. Stab-only weapons are still required to have six inches of strike-legal surface on any stabbing end for safety. Javelins must strike point first to count as a hit and cannot be used to slash. A javelin must be legal for melee and have padding along the entire shaft. The tips of all projectile weapons must not be able to fit through a 2.25 inch ring. A safe weapon is one that will not leave marks, bruises, or broken bones or teeth when it strikes a person. If your weapon hurts you when you are struck, it is not safe."(hopefully they don't include groin shots)

Weight helps when throwing, but hurts in melee. Fin, definately fin. Without them you can forget the long range bombs. They stabilize flight. Only arrows can beat a well made javelin in long range attacks. A javelin has some weight behind it, so I put extra padding on the tip. After all the trouble of making one, it would suck if it were pulled from the field because it bruised someone. Also, because of the wording in 7.2 only warriors, barbarians, paladins & anti paladins can use javelins.
I have a design, which has become quite poular at our park. It's not an easy build, but it's effective. PM me your E-mail & I'll attach a quick, but crappy how to I wrote a while back to the reply.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences