Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post subject: Iron On paper
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:01 pm 

OK, I'm officially stumped and I'm asking for help...

Wonder Under or the like...

What exactly do I need to buy in order to get my patterns to actually STICK to the fabric I'm ironing them onto? I've made several favors and every one of them is lifting. It's frustrating as hell!! There's got to be a secret to this... am I right? Can someone help me out here by telling me EXACTLY what I need to buy to get this stuff to work?

Post subject: Re: Iron On paper
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:49 pm 

Hmm ...went to the wonder under web site ..it says for light to medium fabrics ...so that could be a problem, or sometimes if the fabric is not pre washed, the finish they use could be a prob. Is this stuff sticky on BOTH sides? I've never used it, just fusible interfacing.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:07 pm 

Well, it's definitely light to medium fabric. Maybe the stuff I have is just old. Everything's been pre-washed. I think I'm going to have to just give in and actually sew these things down. ggrrr Was hoping for minimal use on the bitch of a sewing machine!

I think I'll take a trip to the fabric store tomorrow and see what they can tell me. Thanks TigerHawke.

C

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:31 pm 

Wish i could be of more help ..but you are right ..it could be old stuff. And why is your sewing machine a B(abe) I(n) T(otal) C(ontrol) of H(erself)??

What is it doing to cause you such 'suffering'?? besides glaring at you menacingly? he he

btw Ghosttiger is learning how to use my machine right now ..so far no cussing!!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:01 pm 

how big are these patterns? If their smallish you could see about making them like patches. If their much larger then if you do not wish to sew them in, get cloth paint and poster board and make a cut out template for each section that is one color. Once this is done then take the paint and apply it and roll it out with a small roller or stiff foam/plastic wedge. Make sure to do this on a flat surface so you can put pressure down on the poster board templates (books and drinking mugs work).

It may not look as good as hand stitched but it does look nice and lasts a good long time, probably longer than a iron-on (not sure though).

hope this helps.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:00 am 

Thanks guys! I got something tonight called Steam and Seam. So far it seems to work exactly the way I want it to! Let's see how it looks after everything sets overnight. (I know, it's taking the cheating way, rather than forcing myself to learn to use that dang sewing maching, but it's a start)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:03 pm 

Oh that's great that it's working for you! Hey if Ghosttiger can learn to use my sewing machine ....little to no cussing ...and finish his project, anyone can learn. Jrake our son has used my old cabinet machine to make a set of garb ...NOW if I can just keep them sewing ...lol.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences