Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post subject: Annoyed with robes...
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:28 pm 

So for the past 3 months I've been wanting a bit more than a tabard and cloak for my druid character... Unfortunately I don't know a pattern. I don't want to have to buy one though because well... I never have any money, and even if I wanted to buy one there is no store (that I've found) that sells robe patterns. Might anyone help a poor and beggining sewer.

Thanks in advance,
Faelynn Dreth

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:09 pm 

Contact me via e-mail or just PM me here. I have lots of patterns and ideas on where to find garb stuff cheap. Red Storm is not far from you.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:03 pm 

Faelynn,

I feel your pain on the Robes bit. I have been trying to put together somethign for wizard for about 3 months now. Granted I am of LARGE stature and that complicates patterns but I know Tigerhawke could fix you up right.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:30 pm 

TigerHawke might I have your E-mail. It won't let me PM for some reason. Lol Yeah finding Robe patterns is a real bother.

GM or Druids
PM of Riverstone
Captain of The Shadow Chorus
Member of House Singollo

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:58 pm 

Sure ;) tigerhawke2009@yahoo.com

Also I understand lack of funds so I'll give you some other suggestions as well.

Yard sales: cheap stuff and you can barter most times for large mens or womens actual bath robes. sew up the front, belt it and voila! Instant class robe. You can even cut the belt loops off if you don't like them. Sheets, blankets, comforters and old plain drapes give you lots of fabric purchased at a yard sale or flea market and still you can/should barter the price.
Thrift shops are good for these items too. If you have a Goodwill nearby they have some good sales or look at the 1/2 price tag of the day. All clothing items have a price tag with a number (week it came in) IF it has that week number it is 50% off.
Old long leather coats work well and with a bit of effort you can remove the sleeves for a long sleeveless robe if desired. You can even remove the collar too. Check the woman's department. Most guys don't think of that. Why? lots of robes there with some cool oriental patterns if that is your thing. Plus sized items there too. Some plus sized dresses ...yep dresses .... you'll find velvets and other expensive fabrics there that can be taken apart to make something else for less per yard cost, than any fabric store, same at local yard sales.
Check yard sales for old Halloween costumes too. I know it's months off but that is a perfect time to hunt the thrift stores for cloaks and robes ect.

If you have a local thrift store(s) why not go in with your park flier and explain what you do ...talk to the manager btw. They just may give you a deal. IF you do get one make sure you tell your park so they can shop there too. Even a 10% park discount is helpful. In this economy it helps the business owner and the park.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:28 pm 

I actually found a simple robe pattern on a website. I thank you for the advise and plan on going thrift shopping soon.

GM or Druids
PM of Riverstone
Member of House Singollo

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:07 am 

Do you mind sharing the website? Thanks.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:00 pm 

There are two sites with different patterns.

http://www.servantsofthelight.org/knowl ... robes.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_4742893_own-ritual-robe.html

I hope these help.

GM or Druids
PM of Riverstone
Member of House Singollo

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:55 pm 

I know this thread is pretty old, but grats on finding robe patterns. I've used recycled halloween robes on numerous occasions. When making my own though (or having them made for me), I always have slits cut up both sides to just below the waist and the front and back flaps that are created taper in some so a gap is formed for leg movement. That way instead of a full bell of fabric, I have quick easy movement anytime I have to take a knee. I find battle robes like that don't tangle me up as much and I almost never (I said ALMOST *grin*) step on my robes when I stand back up either.

I plan on trying to visit Riverstone in the near future, and with any luck my new set of robes will be done so I can show you what I mean.

Mage-at-Arms to Sir Alby Kzan
Brewer of Laughing Fox

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences