Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post subject: Leather Lamellar
 Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:43 pm 

Okay, can someone explain how to rate leather lamellar? I want to know mostly because if it is not considered "metal" anymore, then can I add studs?

Hardening...will it do anything?

How about laquer?

Just some ideas please.

Post subject: Re: Leather Lamellar
 Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:48 pm 

Guest wrote:
Okay, can someone explain how to rate leather lamellar?  I want to know mostly because if it is not considered "metal" anymore, then can I add studs? Hardening...will it do anything?How about laquer?  Just some ideas please.
Sorry...that was me.I wasn't on my computer and forgot to sign in.Xenhei.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:45 pm 

from what I understand of the rules, if the base material is leather, then all of the wonderful things that you can do to improve the point value of leather would be valid. You could make it from thick leather, harden it, add studs, etc. just like any other leather. In fact, I would say that with this type of armor, you have a better chance of getting that coveted "quality" tag for it.

In Service,

Lord Malran Singollo

Lettusio-Rex, Dreadmoor Fey Jackalope
Member of the House of H.O.P.S.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:19 am 

Malran wrote:
from what I understand of the rules, if the base material is leather, then all of the wonderful things that you can do to improve the point value of leather would be valid. You could make it from thick leather, harden it, add studs, etc. just like any other leather. In fact, I would say that with this type of armor, you have a better chance of getting that coveted "quality" tag for it.

In Service,

Lord Malran Singollo

Indeeds. Up here in Astral Winds(Dragonspine), I made some wax-hardened Lamellar, originally intended for SCA use, lined it with pigskin, sewed a goatfur collar to it and they
rate it at +4, same with the cold steel scale that I made while deployed.

Hmm, would rivited lamellar count for studded? Just tossing ideas out there for those
interested.
Of course, the rivits I would suggest are roofing nails with #6 washers, just for durability
and adjustment purpouses.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:30 pm 

I'm kind of curious what you mean by "Leather Lamellar"? Does it look like this armor in this picture?

http://www.skornictwo.pl/english/jpg/ar ... mour_3.htm

I personally would have a hard time giving the armor in the picture more than 3 points, since it looks like the primary protective material is thick leather, which I would consider 2 points, then a +1 for looking awesome. Adding lots of metal would be good for another +1 or even a +2 for good protective thick metal coverage, but if the primary surface material is leather and most of the "realistic" blade protection would be via leather, then I would rate it as leather...although if the design causes thick leather to be doubled up, that could be good for another +1 as well.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:01 pm 

I'll admit--that looks a hell of alot nicer than the armor that I have. Still.
For leather, it's standard thickness(9 oz), doubled(due to lacing and all)(+1, tentatively +2)
It's Wax-Hardened(Cuirboilled)(+1)
and Craftsmanship(+1)
so +3 to +4 would be average for good lamellar made properly.
I won't even get into the historicals of it, but if you name a horse archer civilization, you named a culture who used lamellar. It's cheap, easy to manufacture and does its job fairly well without breaking the back of the horse.
In Amtgard, we don't need no stinkin' horses, but that's how the local park went about it in rating my armor.
Appearance-wise, it'd take some doing to make lamellar look good with metal augmentation, which in my opinion would detract from its appearance and craftsmanship.
It's all up to the person rating it, however, but I know I would be miffed if anyone rated mine at less than 3 pts unless people are traipsing around there in mastercrafted, one of a kind armors.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences