Register    Login    Forum    Search    Chat [0]    FAQ

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:58 pm 

I've been pondering the nature of males and females, and was wondering if males are slightly more attracted to the physical / competitive areas of Amtgard, while females may or may not be more attracted to the A&S / crafting portion? I should note that this does not mean that female nubs arrive at amtgard ready to be a serpent knight, no more than any nub male is automatically a sword knight, however if a nub shows up at your park, you might try tailoring your initial introduction to their gender, with a preference on "here's your sword hit stuff" to boys and "here's how the swords are made with the tools and materials available to try" for the girls? I'm not saying you should be all sexist about it, and also each individual may have both a preference for creation AND destruction, or an individual preference for one or the other based on their own previous personal experiences....although a statistical gender correlation may be present, I gleaned this idea via personal observations of my new mouse colony, so it may or may not be totally accurate.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:01 pm 

what the fuck is PAG doing on this board?!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:23 pm 

Where we are it is actually more guys than girls who do A&S. Although a lot of our females are mostly color, we try to get them involved with not just A&S, but stuff for helping the park, or politics. Observations are VERY good though if that is what it is like in your park then patterns could show up more and more. How I did it in our park was go to my art class in High School and talk to all the people I know who like period art. They told their friends who told theirs, ect. And within a week or two shot from 10 to like 30.

GM or Druids
PM of Riverstone
Captain of The Shadow Chorus
Member of House Singollo

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:20 pm 

I have known many a male amt-er who, upon discovering that if they got into the a&s *as well* as the fighting they could make their stuff exactly like they liked/wanted, just as I've known a few that almost never swung foam.

I am a pretty heavy a&s type and happen to be female, but as soon as I get my knees back into shape I'll be in the fray as much as I used to some 15 years ago. :) First thing that was handed to me in 1993 was a sword by a guy who let me fight one on one with him before cutting me loose with a group of foam swinging costumed nutters out there having a blast.

This isn't the 1950's... ya might just really irritate or discourage a fantastic garber/fighter/whatever by not watching them a little while before giving them a well intentioned nudge.

not posted with any irritation, BTW, just a POV :)

________________Harbinger________________
_Spoiled Princess-Bitch o'crat-Campchair dictator_
________Mistress of House Battlecraze__________
_____Woman at Arms to Duke Dark Tigger______
✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥✥

I refuse the refuse

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:41 pm 

Yeah I know about that irritation you speak of, I just got a post deleted on CNN about using casual sex as well as information about sexuality and availability of non-reproductive sexual options as well as information as a method of informed birth control as well as an effective and free means of rape prevention, with education and opportunities being the two key factors.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:57 am 

Yup.

Some people don't look at intentions, some are just looking for something to be offended by (these irritate me to no end), and then there are those that'll actually just open their yap and say "thanks" or "no thanks, I wanna try that."

As an aside, years later I ended up married to that guy that handed me a sword. [smilie=icon_lol.gif]

I refuse the refuse

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:23 pm 

I've always found that the combat is what draws the on lookers in. We have no color at our park, we're all on the field. So that leaves us having a wide open area to get into talking about A&S which then generates even more interest in Amtgard. With so many ppl, with interest or expertise, you are always bound to get someone that can teach you something or find someone to teach you something.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:35 pm 

And in my experience it's been all of it that is out there, I've seen as many people inquire because of good garb, roleplaying, the weapons themselves, or someone doing something like juggling stix as I've seen come in just to swing foam.

What is going to draw people in is what is done wholeheartedly and reasonably well, be it the combat, the character, or the costume. After all, RenFairs would get no where near the numbers of visitors they do without the other stuff, just something to keep in mind. (not pointing at you, TigerHawke, just a general statement)

I refuse the refuse

Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:31 am 

LOL ..np at all ...I agree with your very valid points;) We have family that works the Renn Faire circuit, got married at the local Renn and Ghosttiger worked the Halloween part of the faire grounds as the werewolf the month of Oct last year. (my husband)
It's the ambiance that we create that gets the first attention.
I spend a lot of my park time meeting interested ppl, answering tons of questions, pulling out the RoP to show what we offer, letting ppl swing a loaner sword, giving them park fliers and telling ppl where to get materials (hand out for that too;) Yet I still find that a bunch of folks in garb, laughing, casting spells, swinging weapons and firing bows is pretty eye catching. I gladly give up field time to do PR and most of our populace will do PR as well.

Board index » Emerald Hills General Forums » Arts & Sciences